Uh oh, early foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic

Reaction score
I've got a challenge here, and though I've dealt with early babies before, it's been quite a while and I don't know if I can pull this baby through.
default_unsure.png

My maiden mare, Treasure (5 year old palomino) had a filly last night at 7 pm. She had a tough time, and this is the first time I've ever seen a mare give birthstanding up.
default_new_shocked.gif
I was literally holding the filly in my arms, waiting for Treasure to lie down, but she didn't, so I ended up eventually snapping the umbilical cord manually because the cord wasn't long enough for me to lay her down. Even though she was in obvious pain, Treasure has been a, well, Treasure, through all of this.

The filly is, I think, a cremello. She may be a very light palomino, but she has two bright blue eyes, and her sire is a cremello. She's mostly just skin and bones, born at 303 days gestation. Her hair coat is VERY short, though she has a normal-looking mane and tail. Her legs are very weak, she's very down at the pasterns, and in the 13 hours since she's been born she hasn't stood for more than a few seconds.
default_sad.png
She had NO sucking reflex at all until this morning, and now she has just a faint idea, which makes it much easier for me to get milk into her. She curls her tongue around my pinkie and I syringe miniscule amounts of milk at a time into her, all the time trying to keep her awake. At one point last night I went to bed for just two hours and when I went back out she was pretty much unresponsive and I thought I was going to lose her right there. I gave her an enema and that woke her up enough for me to get more milk into her, thank goodness. I stayed out with her and kept giving her milk every 15 minutes or so, and she looked a lot better.

So, do I have the vet come out and tube feed her? That's what I did with my other early foals. Is it too soon to get an IGg (sp?) done? And how much milk should she be getting every hour? Any other ideas for me? I've got her in a stall underneath a Kalglo heater turned on high, and double blanketed since it got down to 34 degrees last night. It's supposed to get up to 65 today, thank goodness.

I'm watching two other mares that should foal anytime, but it's no problem now because I won't be sleeping.
default_wacko.png

Lori --

When we had a dismature filly last year, the vet did come and put a tube in. She ended up gaining her strength pretty quickly and actually pulled the tube out herself, but while it was in, it was so much easier to get a good amount of milk into her vs. the syringe. I would say that a tube is what my limited experience in this says will be really good. Once ours started getting enough milk, she became stronger and stronger very rapidly.

For the IgG, it's supposed to be done 12+ hours after the first milk, so I'm thinking you'd be in the ball park.

Good luck! I am keeping you, Treasure and your new filly in my thoughts and prayers!!!

Jill

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have her tubed I think you can almost bet her IGg would be a bit low even if you are getting her milk every 15-20 minutes I do not know?

But I would think him tubing her would give her a full tummy while she is still able to absorb the antibodies maybe plasma and it would give you a chance to get some rest for a couple hours after her tubing which you will surely need! It should make feeding her so much easier and allow you to get the right amount in without worrying about asperating

It might give her the jump start she needs to gain some strength so she can figure out how to nurse on her own.

Thanks Jill.
default_smile.png
I was just thinking of the one-time nasogastric feeding like when a horse is oiled for colic, but the feeding tube sounds like just the thing we need! Do you know what kind of tubing your vet used? I remember my old vet trying to put a tube in for one of my early foals (292 days, yikes) and he just couldn't get it to work, which is why he tube fed him a few times. It's been SO long ago, I can barely remember what we did, though I'll never forget having to give the colt twice a day antibiotic shots (Naxcel) as he came down with pnuemonia. Poor baby. He pulled through though. I sure hope this one does too!

It might give her the jump start she needs to gain some strength so she can figure out how to nurse on her own.

I really hope so Lisa. She's just SO weak; even the early colt I had several years ago was trying to stand, this one doesn't seem to want to even try.
default_sad.png
Of course, a full belly may be just what she is needing.

My new vets have NO miniature horse experience except for what they've done with my horses, so I hope that they will be able to deal with this.

I know if anyone can pull her thru you can you have done what seemed impossible with foals before
default_smile.png
Maybe your new vet can call your old vet and ask for tubing size ect? I know sometimes vets get a bit of ego in the way and do not feel the need but you can suggest it?

Thanks Lisa, that's what Cherilyn told me too, makes me feel empowered to do whatever is necessary.
default_smile.png

Vet has been called, he said he's going to be at least a couple of hours though, so I'm off to feed baby some more. I've been calling her "Noodle" because that's exactly what she's like to handle, but I will promise her a "real" name if she pulls through for me.

I SO appreciate the support, and please, if you have any prayers and good thoughts to spare, baby Noodle could use them!!

Vet called back, he called a colleague and she said she can be out here in just half an hour, hurray! She's mentioned before what a nice change it is to work in a barn with horses instead of out in a field with cows.
default_wink.png
Noodle Filly took in a little more milk, she should be good now til the vet gets here. Vet said we will do the IGg in another 12 hours and if we need plasma they'll have to go somewhere else to get it. She thinks we may be ok, but we'll test just in case.

My other two mares will probably foal today, just for the fun of it (and they are past due).

Oh! So how much milk does she need, how often, does anyone know?

I'm no help, but just want to say I"m glad the vet will be there soon (or maybe already is?) and your filly is in my prayers! I happen to love the name Noodle and she'd keep it if it were me ;)

Your filly should be getting one ounce of milk per 10 lbs of body weight per hour. So if she weighs 20 lbs, she should be getting 2 ounces per hour or 60 cc.

I hope she's improving, but a weak to no suck reflex are certainly cause for alarm. Are you getting colostrum down her? We've had good luck here running an NG tube and sewing it in place for feeding until the foal was strong enough to be able to nurse on it's own. I wish you the best.

Oh, and definitely make sure she's warm enough. Have you taken her temp? Her core body temperature should be at least 100. If she's too cold, she will be lethargic.

Glad the vet is on the way. Prayers and best wishes for little "Noodle".

Barbie

Thoughts and prayers for you and your little one. Our colt was born at 288 days with no suck reflex. After a day or two we sewed in a tube and fed him that way, it was the only way to get enough down him. Otherwise most of it just ran back out his mouth. Keeping them warm (but not too warm) is another big issue, he couldn't regulate his temp at all.

Best of luck with your baby

Sending good thoughts and prayers. It's a long hard struggle keeping these little ones going in the early stages if they are either dummies or weak.

You can't give too much food at one time, but you have to give it often. You need help to give you relief and restoration of energy.

Hope you have a good result.

Oh no...I am definately sending prayers for your little one Lori! I hope the vet will have a good report for her, and that you will have much hope for her survival! Sending prayers for you and her.
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

You may see an improvement after the tubing, in my experience with an early one it made all the difference. After mine was stable, I also gave NutriCal to boost energy, the kind manufactured for dogs.

A helpful hint: using aquarium tubing for the foals works better. I got mine at Walmart.

Best wishes for you and your little one!

Glad to hear the vet's on the way! I think the feeding tube idea is the best! Praying you little "Noodle" starts improving for you!
default_pray.gif
:pray When you get a chance....post some pics of her.
default_wub.png

Back