Udder development?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know a mare is getting close when shes starting to drive her owner crazy hahaha

She looks good, When your standing behind her is she still looking wide ?

You know a mare is getting close when shes starting to drive her owner crazy hahaha

She looks good, When your standing behind her is she still looking wide ?
Her sides are pretty even and they dip in at the hips

hahaha , Its about now you really need to develop a love for coffee and toothpicks to keep your eyes open.
Yes! Lol! Just went and checked on her and her udder is about 75% full now. And she has been butt rubbing, her tail looks a mess lol.

Last edited:
I know i said i wasn't going to do it anymore but its been a long time and it was only a drop, but i checked to see if she had milk, and its still clear.

It certainly does :) Not long to go now !!

Id be watching her like a hawk at this stage.
When do they start producing colostrum and milk? Does it all depend on the mare? Or is it something that gradually happens over days or weeks?

She has already started to produce milk and colostrum. The Colostrum is the first drink your foal will receive off its mum. It is by far the most important drink that he/she will ever get. In comparison to milk its a little yellowier and sticky. Your mare will continue to produce colostrum for the first 24 hours, then you will notice it go whiter and thinner in consistency.

She has already started to produce milk and colostrum. The Colostrum is the first drink your foal will receive off its mum. It is by far the most important drink that he/she will ever get. In comparison to milk its a little yellowier and sticky. Your mare will continue to produce colostrum for the first 24 hours, then you will notice it go whiter and thinner in consistency.
Oh okay! I checked her today and only got 1 drop just to check. And it was still clear and watery.

I can't wait for your updates! I'm trying not to get excited yet about mine as we lost our first earlier this year. I just want to see ours healthy, strong, alive. We will be getting a mini mule this time. I'm assuming that because mama is a mini mare, gestation is still the same? We are at day 324.

I can't wait for your updates! I'm trying not to get excited yet about mine as we lost our first earlier this year. I just want to see ours healthy, strong, alive. We will be getting a mini mule this time. I'm assuming that because mama is a mini mare, gestation is still the same? We are at day 324.
Day 326 and she's still the same lol! Maybe it won't be much longer. July 13th is 342 days! From all the progress she's making i don't think she'll go to 342 so maybe one day next week. I hope! Lol!

If you have look at her udder you can notice there is still a crease down the middle, This should start to go over the next few days as it continues to fill.

Good Luck & wishing you the safest of deliveries :)

Ill try to check in whilst im away !!

P.S Denisern06 good luck to you too I have my fingers crossed for a safe arrival for you :)

If you have look at her udder you can notice there is still a crease down the middle, This should start to go over the next few days as it continues to fill.

P.S Denisern06 good luck to you too I have my fingers crossed for a safe arrival for you :)
Thank you! :)
Safe travels!

Thank you so much!

Latest posts

Back