Trying this again...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's ok! Have your chocolate and get it out of your system and enjoy it! Then start fresh the next day!!! Hey a mood is a mood!!! When I'm in a mood I want chocolate too!!! It happens! LOL! Tomorrow is another day!

At least you are cleaning house; I'm not even doing that. 6-8' snow piles outside, 2-3' drifts I actually have to traverse; so I'm doing as little as possible outside; yet, I'm still not cleaning the house.
Well look at it this way, You get enough excersise just doing chores for the day! I HATE snow!!! Every time I get the chance to say it I will! LOL! Putting the snow pants, boots, sweatshirt, 2 pairs of socks, gloves, scarf, hat, and caring 2 5 gal buckets of hot water out to the barn just to thaw out what ever needs thawing, twice a day!!!! YUCKKKKKKK! And you can't breath it's so cold!! Geeze I could go on but it's making me tired just writing it!!! Hehehehe!

Hi everyone,

Just found you all here. I have been on a diet of some sort for most of my life. I really need to make some changes that will work for me because I need to lose about 1/2 my weight. My knees and back have been complaining and it gets worse every year. I am thinking that, at the rate I have been going, I will be in a wheelchair by the time I reach 65 (I will be 58 in May). Since that is unacceptable, I need to do something. I did weight watchers a little over a year ago and did very well. Unfortunately, I got lazy and gained all but 10lbs of it back. I have been trying to get back into gear on it again and haven't been very successful. I do start again every day and don't let yesterday's setbacks keep me from doing what I can today.

A couple of things I have learned--that are very important to me. First, I must have breakfast. Something filling like oatmeal (the stuff in the big boxes and not the little sugar filled packets) with fruit in it or a couple of eggs--usually scrambled with some sort of vegies in it. I almost always have a banana for breakfast as well, no matter what else I eat. If I skimp on breakfast, I am looking for food within an hour and then I don't usually make good choices.

Since weight watchers allows fruits and vegies with no sugar or other toppings for free, I have a lot of those for lunch, but also some sort of protien. Without the protien, I am, again, looking for something within an hour. I usually have a fresh salad with lots of romain lettuce and a mix of whatever else I have in the house like brocolli, coloflour, mushrooms, tomatoes, carrots, cabbage and so forth. I will top that with a couple of boiled eggs and a couple of slices of fat free ham/turkey or maybe some low fat cheese and use fat free dressing.

For dinner, I will eat the same main food that my husband does and add some frozen vegies that have been steamed.

My main issue is snacking and evenings. Frozen fruits without sugar and frozen vegies have become my new best friend. I still crave the bad stuff, but, luckily, hubby likes mostly things I don't care for so I just don't buy my kind of stuff.

I also love grapes, apples, madarine oranges and bananas. We have found that once grapes are cleaned, they will stay good in a sealed bowl in the fridge for up to 4 weeks. Oranges and apples have been staying good up to 4 weeks on the counter as well. Most fresh vegies have been doing good in the crisper in my fridge for up to a month as long as they are in mostly air free bags (squish all air out of a ziplock) I know these stay good because we do our main shopping on the first of the month when his retirement check comes in and then we mostly just buy things like milk, eggs and bananas later in the month.

I know I got a little long winded, but I guess I just needed to retell myself what works for me and get back to it...TODAY.

Good luck to all of you.

Angie

Well look at it this way, You get enough excersise just doing chores for the day! I HATE snow!!! Every time I get the chance to say it I will! LOL! Putting the snow pants, boots, sweatshirt, 2 pairs of socks, gloves, scarf, hat, and caring 2 5 gal buckets of hot water out to the barn just to thaw out what ever needs thawing, twice a day!!!! YUCKKKKKKK! And you can't breath it's so cold!! Geeze I could go on but it's making me tired just writing it!!! Hehehehe!
You'd think I'd be in better shape for walking out there in all that white crap, but I still huff and puff and fell horrible when I come in. Yet, some days, I enjoy walking out to the mail box. [i know most of you think "so what", but our mail box is 1/3+ mile from our house. Down the road that was under this snowbank:

March 4, 2013 - view of driveway out.jpg

There is a road between the two power poles, our driveway, and it is plowed out at the moment (this pic was from about 10 days ago).

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I was thinking about it...there have been times where I cut what I ate down and started rigorously exercising, just to gain weight or platuo (spelling?). You have to make sure that you get at least 1300 calories a day or your body goes into starvation mode. I find I tend to lose best when I eat around 1500 calories.

When I stick to it, and eat about 1200 - 1500 calories besides and work on getting my "good" fats. I do have a lot to lose though. I need to lose nearly 140 lbs to be close to my ideal weight so it does come off a bit easier. I understand that good fats will actually eat the bad fat from your body. Not sure what all the good fats are, but olive and canola are two of them so that is what I use. I am supposed to get 2Tablespoons a day. Also, I need to force drinking water--should have about 7 or 8--8oz cups a day. I drink virtually no soda of any kind and no coffee or tea. Occasionally, I will drink hot chocolate. Since I am doing the weight watchers, I also work at getting at least 2 or 3 servings of low fat dairy each day. It suggests a minimum of 6 servings of fruits and/or veggies. When I do all of the above, I can lose up to 3 lbs a week and that is fast enough for me. If I cut back too far and lose too fast, I just tend to go back to my bad ways and gain all or most of it back. I really need to make permanent changes that I can live with for the next 50 years. That is what I am trying to do this time. Plateaus do happen but if we stay with the program, it will work. I am in a group on facebook where everyone has different results. They find that they need to sometimes add calories and/or exercist to get the scale to move down and sometimes they just need to exercise a bit less. I like that they will give suggestions when someone hits a rough spot and often it helps.

Good luck.

I like my facebook group because it has lots of ideas, but think I will like it here because having fewer people will make it easier to get more involved with individuals and therefore maybe I will be more accountable and stick to the plan a bit closer.

My weigh in is on Thursday morning. I did really crappy on Thursday after weighing in and then Friday was touch and go. Today is good so far and I have earned a bunch of exercise points if I need them so I have a good feeling for today. For now, I need to do one day at a time.

Yes, I also like having a closer group here. It helps because I feel like we can motivate each other individually and it's easier to be accountable when you talk to people often.

I fell way off the wagon tonight. I was in a major snacking mood, so I ate some pork n beans, chips, and a muffin - none of which I weighed. Once I messed up and ate the beans and chips, I was feeling bad about myself and that made it easy to just eat the muffin that kept staring me in the eye.
default_sad.png

But now is the start of a new day. this isn't about being perfect, this is about being persistent. You can start again every day if need be. No matter how many times we make mistakes, we are way ahead of the people that are not even trying. You will get there--just NEVER give up.

Aww, thanks. I am starting again this morning.
default_smile.png
I have barely gotten any sleep over the last three nights, so I'm pretty much dragging around today - too lazy to get up and get myself anything. Lol. I can't wait for work to be over so I can take a much needed nap.

Sara, not sure about you but my worst diet days are the ones when I am sleep deprived--I turn into a junk-food Hoover! I just saw something on the news recently that people who are sleep deprived expend, on average, 5% more calories during the day than they normally would, but consume (again, on average), 6% more calories that day. One thing that often helps me keep from binging too badly when I'm starving is to drink a glass of milk before I eat anything--it seems to take the edge off. I have read about doing the same thing with water instead of milk, but water does not work as well for me; I can down 3 glasses of water and still eat a sizeable meal, no problem, lol.

Hubby and I have been sticking to our Insanity workouts and are feeling good! We forgot to take body measurements when we started but we might still try to do that since we have more than half the program left to go. The intense workouts have both of us craving protein so now we are stocked up on chicken breasts, fish fillets and protein bars/shakes, lol. I think we might almost be on the "caveman" diet without trying! We have a fitness test today...I'm excited to see if/how much progress we have made so far.

Latest posts

Back