TROOPER @ 1mos Old -- "Rejected Orphan" Foal We're Hand Raising

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was also wondering the same thing....is he in with other horses or on his own? It would have to be a tricky balance I guess.

He looks amazing so what ever you are doing for him, is working. Just keep loving him to pieces, he is special

Wow Jill you have done a great job in raising this boy. He really looks good and just full of him little self. Congratulations I know it is very tough to try and raise one by hand.

Arlene

Thanks, everyone. I've never handraised a foal before. It is gratifying from the perspective of "I raised him!" and as a breeder to see Trooper turning out like he seems to be turning out
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

So far, I have not put him in with other horses. He has two fencelines with other horses, and a fence line with some dwarf goats. He's just so little that I've been leary to let another horse be loose around him at this stage (without a horse mom to keep a protective watch over him). Not sure if that is right, or me being over protective. What I plan to do is let him be with Piper and Infinity (my current year fillies) when they are weaned -- which won't be all that much longer
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Melissa
love0075.gif

It's so much easier now that he only gets formula 3x a day (every 8hrs). He has free choice grass, soft hay, and a mixture of Purina Equine Junior and Milk Pellets around the clock. This morning, I had a dilemma because client appointments will make me miss his noon milk meal (milk = 4am-12noon-8pm). I opted to feed him a couple hours late, vs. 5 hours early. He'll be happy to see the milk pitcher when I get home!!!

milk.gif

Jill it looks like he has seen plenty of groceries. Wow I know that has been hard on you. You have done a wonderful job and he looks like a real lover too.
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back