Update on "TROOPER", our colt who was rejected by his dam

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
Just wanted to update everyone on "Trooper"!!! He is doing very well with drinking milk (Foal Lac formula) from a bowl. He learned to do it late yesterday morning and I think he's pretty happy to now get enough to eat! His dam had a very difficult time after his birth requiring extensive vet care. This put her "meeting him" back 4-5 hours after delivery. I think this, along with her pain, caused her to reject him but the alternative was she would have died. But, thank God, Trooper is eating well and he is VERY frisky!!!
love0075.gif

Here he is in action and in picture. His front leg is SO much better. Still not perfect, but no comparison to how it was at birth and I feel confident it will be straight (as does our vet). His back legs are great now. In the picture and probably in some of the video, he was thinking about potty which is why he's got a hunched posture. I wish I could catch him playing in the stall on film but I cannot get far enough away from him in there to catch a video and when I look in right now, he doesn't play. I can sure see him doing it over the stall camera, though
default_biggrin.png

Also, when he was born, I thought he had a really plain head but with EVERYTHING else going on upon his arrival, I didn't really "care". Now, though, his head has become so pretty. Maybe that's my mommy goggles as his mommy IS me (and Harvey!). But I think he's head's quite nice and he's so upright in his neck. Thinking he got good genes from mom and dad, both for the looks and for how tough he is
thumbup.gif

[SIZE=14pt]Whinny For Me's Finely Dun, a/k/a Trooper[/SIZE]
2009 AMHA / AMHR pending, AMHR Futurity Nominated Red Dun Colt (may grey out) -- Expected To Mature @ or under 34"

By Erica's Gone and DunIT (AMHR Nat'l Top 10 / AMHA Honor Roll / Multi Champion) and Out of Wee Equine Acres Dun Sweet

Bloodlines include: Buckeroo, BTU, Yellow Diamond Little Feather, and Egyptian King

Last edited by a moderator:
Trooper is ADORABLE!!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

I am glad he is drinking out of a bowl, so less stress for you all.

I hope you get some rest and want to see him and the girls as they grow.

Will Maddie be with Trooper at all, like to hang out? I dont know how that works when Mama rejects them?? Who will little Trooper hang with? beside you and H of course!!

Last edited by a moderator:
AWW, thats the sweetest thing. I guess that really seems like he is yours and Harveys. He completely depends on you both. Wonder if after a while you should add some baby cereal to his milk , like you do babies??

He seems to be filled out nicely. Good Job, to both you and Harvey.

Linda

Jill I think you are just as much as a trooper as he is and glad things are setting down for you. Try putting some Equine Jr out in a bowl too and I'll bet he'll eat it.

He is just adorable!!! I am so glad he has learned to drink from the bowl. You are doing a great job with him. Thanks for sharing the photos and video.

Horray I am so glad that he is drinking from the dish and doing well. The only thing I found as they get older and get more stud like they are not afraid of you because you raised him. We had our boy gelded as soon as we could.

Oh what a little cutie pie!!! Blue is his color!! I'm so glad to see him doing so well!!!

He is ADORABLE! I am in love with his color! I am so glad things are looking up for Trooper and you as well!

Aww.. I'm so glad to see he is doing great.
default_smile.png
)

Does he have to stay all by himself? Can he have a buddy yet?

He is ADOREABLE.
default_smile.png
)

~Sandy

Thanks, everyone!!!

It is a relief beyond words that he is drinking from a bowl on his own!!!

We've got another big bucket of formula. We wasted so much of it Saturday and Sunday trying to get him to "get it" and I just don't know how long what we had on hand would last and the stores seem to have like ONE in stock so if someone beats you to it... So now we're good for awhile I'm sure.

AND on Thursday, per the bucket of "Mare Match" formula, he can start on milk pellets free choice in addition to the liquid formula. This should be good as he will have something between milk feedings.

The mare match formula powder says to feed FOUR times a day... I just don't think that can be good, only FOUR times for a baby? I've been doing it every 3 hours, sometimes over night going 4 hours but giving him a little extra when I'm planning to make him go a little longer. But I'm thinking when he's going good on eating the milk pellet (and Purina Equine Junior in a week or so I figure), then maybe we can stretch the time between milk feedings out more.

All really seems to be heading in the right direction, and Maddie is tickled to be child-free...

Hi Jill,

We've raised a couple bottle babies and every 3 hours is good! As he grows, just up the miljk intake as he does! He will need his milk for some time, around 2 to 3 months! As he starts eating food you can reduce the milk feedings! Good luck and if you need some help, call us!

Bill

So glad to hear he is drinking from a bowl and doing well. He is such a cutie... It's amazing sometimes the things we do for our fur kids..... Take care and I hope you get some rest soon as I know you must be exhausted with work and the baby....

He sure looks like he's out of any danger and is happy and health as he can be. What a stong little guy. And gorgeous too! I think that leg is going to straighten up too. You might ask the vet if she thinks it should be in a poultice; don't know if that would help but just brainstorming here. Your efforts are paying off!

Awww Jill, he looks so good! You are such a dedicated horsie momma!!

Latest posts

Back