Update on "TROOPER", our colt who was rejected by his dam

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, everyone
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png

He's my little baby for sure!!! I have not ever had to hand raise any baby animal before him.

The vet doesn't want me to do anything "to" his front leg other than let him exercise as much as we can (it's been pouring rain though for 2 days straight). The pics / video are from yesterday morning and he is already a lot better than he was then. The very first video, Dr. Schmidt had already told me he'd be totally fine in the legs, but I felt like he looked handicapped and so sorry for him. He's nothing at all like he was. Looking at his first video, it really brings home what a difference there has already been.

Looking forward to him starting his milk pellets. I got a brand we can get here locally (Mare's Match) and the bucket says you can feed from 2 days old, but they are hard things and don't seem to dissolve in water all the way at all (which really defeats the purpose as that would spoil like the milk). He seems to have back teeth though I thought front ones come first? I may try the pellets on Thursday but do not know if this brand is maybe harder than other brands or what...

He looks wonderful. You are doing a great job with him. He is lucky to have such a caring and dedicated mom.Post more pics when you can.

Great job with him, he looks great.

When we lost our mare, we fed Legacy Progressive foal starter pellets. They dissolve easily and she had no trouble eating them. She thrived on them and we just gave her all she would eat. They do fine as long as they don't get wet.

I wish you the best with him, he is certainly showing how much you care.

Mary

Thanks again folks
default_wub.png

I haven't been able to find the PN pellets here. A friend sent me a link and I looked a few times, but cannot find them from the online source she'd sent. We do have "Mare's Match" pellets and the package indicates they can be fed from the start (hmmm...) but they seem so hard. I'm scared to try those on him yet.

Right now, I think I have been feeding too much milk. Looks like he may have the start of diarrhea so will be backing down the amount he gets. It just seems so tiny a bit of milk, but I guess he's pretty tiny and his stomach must be very small.

Hoping I can let him out to play today. We have had buckets of rain the past two days so he has been stalled.

I appreciate all your advice and support. Means A LOT!!!

Thanks,

Jill

default_new_shocked.gif
WOW, Trooper is looking GOOD!!!!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah Great job Jill and Harvey...you guys are such good horsie parents!!!!
default_saludando.gif

Oh Jill, I didn't know this was your Trooper. I don't come round as often and a Trooper has been on our healing list for a while now. He is beautiful and I'm delighted he is doing so well..course he has a heckova mum in you.

He does have a pretty head and I am so glad he's thriving. It is truly an awful thing to have a rejected foal, but you have made the best of it and I applaud you for your efforts....

Liz

Back