Transitioning to grass after malnourishment

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decembrr

Reaction score
Our little 'rescue' mini is doing well and is already gaining some noticeable weight. He's up to about 2 cups of senior feed, three times a day, unlimited bermuda hay, and we're trying to slowly transition him to grass thru limited grazing.

He's up to a little more than 1.5hours at a time of grazing with no ill effects so far. (in his previous home, he didn't have access to fresh grass)

Is there a point were this transition can go faster without causing him upset? A point where sufficient gut floura has established to handle larger jumps in the time frame of grazing? For instance, if he handles 2 hours of grazing... would an immediate jump to 4 hours be too much...or even 3 hours? Or should we continue to increase time slowly (like, 10-15 minutes every 4-5 days or so) until he's up to full day?

We've ordered him a grazing muzzle, which we hope will be able to extend his exercise time and limit how much he can eat in such a long time out... but, even with the muzzle, we'll want to take it off for X amount of time until he's up to full grazing...using the muzzle to limit his grazing if he reaches a point where he's TOO fat. His muzzle, hopefully, will come in this week.

As a secondary question (or maybe even a third!), what's the best way to teach the little begger some manners? *I* don't have any problems handling him or leading him...I'm clearly stronger, but he also seems to know I won't allow him to get away with stuff. However, my (almost) 5 year old daughter is just in love with this little guy, and wants to lead him and groom him. She's a little bitty thing, barely hitting 35lbs herself, so this little guy is able to yank his head away (to grab a bite of grass,etc) or otherwise LEAD HER. He knows he can overpower her. Any suggestions on how best to deal with this? His "boss" attitude extends further than that... in that he's pinned his ears towards the little kids and even squealed while turning his butt threatening to kick. I'm not sure if he was mistreated in the past by children OR if it's a respect thing...in that he knows he's capable of pushing them around. He doesn't otherwise act physically abused in any way... he's not jumpy, head shy, and doesn't act in any other manner that would make me think he's had physical abuse...so I really think it's a respect issue and him 'throwing his weight around'. Any suggestions on how best to deal with this? I know how I'd handle the 'big guys' if they even THOUGHT about acting like that... and am wondering if the same approach is suitable for the minis... in "mini form"...

Thanks for any and all advice,

Nicki

In regards to more time on pasture I cant help you with that- we dont have pasture here.

In regards to his behavior- the longer he gets away with it, the more it is going to become a habit. The Minis should have all the manners that any other horse should have! Just because they are small does not mean they can be allowed to act in that manner- their bites and kicks can still cause just as much damage and it should never be allowed for them to act aggressively.

so much on grazing depends on how lush the pasture is. A lush one that has never been grazed I would go up slowly only adding an hour at a time.

A pasture that has been grazed and isnt so lush you could go faster.

Horses know when they can push someone around be it a child or someone not used to horses. Work with your child to encourage them to be the authority figure when leading that horse. They need to stand straight and tall and speak with authority. They have to get the horse to respect them
default_smile.png

He's already getting lots of feed and hay so I would continue to increase slowly, I think build him up increasing him in implements of 1 hour at a time. Like I think I would try going from 2 hours to 3 hours would be ok if your pasture isn't very lush. Sometimes the fall pasture is just as dangerous as spring growth so just use your judgement of how good your pasture is. However, I wouldn't do the muzzle thing because I'm thinking with the stress he's been under, he is a good candiate for ulcers and a muzzle could stress him out even more. But I would go for probios for sure.

As far as your little girl, I'm worried that he is viewing your little one as part of his former herd, when he is treating her like a herd mate instead of a human. Keep in mind that the better he gets, the more he will be feeling his oats and the stronger he becomes. It is very hard for a little 35 pound cutie to get enough strength developed in that right arm and wrist for leading properly. So for now, I think I would leave the leading to you only, until you establish acceptable manners with him. This might take a while. I would be sure to tie him up properly when she brushes him and teach her to watch for signs of agreession the ear pinning etc. and keep her away from his tail end for sure. Remember that he is so new to all this stuff now, everything in his life had been changed so I'd give him plenty of time to adjust and with you to manner him before you let your little girl do too much besides brushing for the moment. HUGS

Hi,

I'm glad to hear that Buddy is improving!

Starlight has also made huge leaps in the past 2 weeks. I don't know how the people who had Buddy handled him, but Starlight also squeals and turns her butt when she is scared, In her case it is definitely fear. The people who had her (also tied to a tree in the back yard, but she had a shed and small pen also) I am sure never hit or abused her in that sense, but whenever she became scared, she was afraid of many noises and sudden movements, they backed off. She was afraid of the noise of shavings bags so they just stopped giving her shavings etc, so she never had a chance to overcome her fear. This 2 weeks has been a big leap for her because I am working on de-sensitizing her, she is no longer worried about water coming out of hoses into her bucket (a huge fear for her) or shavings bags, in fact she will now just continue eating her hay . But quick movements we are still working on...

I used Parelli to train my off the track horses overcome fear, and to my colt to get respect, and I am using the same ground rule principles with Starlight, Ok so far we are still working on the "friendly " game
default_smile.png
If you are familiar with any of the "natural" guys (Clint Anderson, Dennis Reis, Parelli etc..) they all have ground work excerises which could help Buddy learn what he needs to know to have good ground manners. And after you work with him on the the excerises so he understands, especially the disengage the hindquarters, move away from pressure, I would think it would be good to show your daughter and have her work on them with you there to help. I love to teach kids at that age (I teach dog training) using the positive reinforcement because they try so hard and are soo proud when they succeed!

Good luck and I look forward to hearing more Buddy adventures....

Amy

Latest posts

Back