Trail Driving - Safety Tips

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWA

Reaction score
Hi,

Well, I need to first apologize that I totally FORGOT my camera yesterday afternoon, when we went out with the horses on the local Forestry Trails. I'm so sorry! We saw lots of pretty birds, beautiful Florida scenery and just had a really nice time out in some of what Florida has to offer as "Wilderness".
default_wub.png
default_yes.gif

Sure wish ya'll could have been here!
default_wink.png
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png

Anyways, a couple folks came with us that had never been trail driving before and while out talking, some things came upon us that was always sort of like "second hat" to "us" because we have been out on trail drives for so many years now, that we just thought it was "in general" that folks who had horses always just knew already...but in this instance, they were total newbies to trail driving and did have a couple very mild "scares" that were at least "learning experiences" for them at best.
default_wub.png

I wish I had known they had never been out on trails before because I could have offered a little advice from similar experiences that have happened to us over the years too, and that could possibly have helped to minimize their fears as they occurred. I felt so helpless for them at the moment these things happened, and was kicking myself for actually had taken for granted that these things can happen.

THankfully, they were experienced with horses...just not "out and about" with them...if I'm making any sense. I mean, they knew about horses and all...just not "the elements of exposure" that are on a very broad scale when you take to trails with them, as opposed to just driving/riding them around your home in your own riding rings or at shows, etc. Anyways, THANKFULLY, they were only mildly affected by things that happened for them yesterday, because they at least did know about horses... but had they been new to horses in ADDITION to taking to trails with them...it really could have made for turn for the worse overall.

Taking horses to trails, whether they are out in neighborhoods where there's children playing, riding bikes, bouncing balls...playing with their family dogs, and traffic...or whether they are out on Forestry trails where there's stray dogs, deer, birds that fly out of the brush or overhead swooping down to protect their nesting zones...and bears....

Well, it brings in a whole new area of "safety hazzards" that are not so commonly known or considered, I guess, as I must have always just assumed.
default_unsure.png
default_sad.png

So while we were all out we all got to talking about safety tips, and they said they learned some things they never even thought would be of concern and was thankful for the advice.

Although we could only share with them of "our" experiences, I know there are many more MUCH more experienced trail drivers/riders out there that could likely offer a much wider spectrum to consider where safety is concerned.

That said... here are a few safety tips that came about yesterday for us and our "newbie friends". I'd be grateful if you all might like to offer your safety tips as well. Hopefully, TOGETHER, we can spread at least some sort of awareness that would be helpful to others...

1. I think this one is possibly THE MOST important to start off with... and that is...if at all possible ALWAYS have at least ONE riding/driving partner along with you. If you don't have someone that can go with you, try to keep your trips short and close to home or familiar surroundings to your horse. But, if taking to longer outings, try to have at least ONE partner along with you, if not more. The more, the merrier, right?
default_wink.png

2. We never have had occassion to actually use a driving whip or riding crop on any of our horses (EDITED TO SAY: not in a "whipping" sort of manner), but we ALWAYS have one with us, (Edited to say: and we find them useful...) for just such occassions as when a dog might come charging out. Wether it's a stray out on forestry trails, or someones family dog in your local neighborhood, MOST of the time, if you just POINT your crop at the dog, and say with a firm tone... "STAY"...that will "ususally" deter them from their charge. Sometimes they can be a little more insistant where you might actually have to wave your crop to get their attention. Most dogs will have the sense to stop there. Unfortunately, in the case of ferrel strays, you may have to use it for your and your horses protection. Fortunately, we ourselves have not had to...but you just never know, so it is always at least a good tool to have along on your outing.

3. I carry a hook on my jeans belt loop where I have a pocket knife, hoof pick, and a spare string of rope (usually a hay tie), because you just never know when something might brake on your harness/bridle/saddle riggings and you may have to "make do" with things till you can get back home for proper repairs. The hoof pick comes in handy too, in case your horse picks up a pebble or twigs, etc. Trail debris, you just never know what they might pick up. I once found a bent beer bottle cap wedged in the "V" of the frog so tight, that if I hadn't had the pick with me, my mare would have had to walk with that in her foot all the way till we got home. She likely would have been really sore by then, because we were a pretty good ways out. I was able to get it out though when I first noticed her walking sort of "tender" like she had picked something up, and it was wedged really tight, but I had my pick and was able to take care of the matter then and there, and we were able to enjoy the rest of the afternoon without further incident.

4. I always have a spare bungee (or when I can remember anyways
default_wacko.png
) on the footboard of my cart. Where I strapp in a spare halter/lead, where we can switch from the harness bridle while resting. This is for the longer trip outings. I also carry a small water bucket. If taking trails where there's a creek or river running through, I can give them water while resting. If none available, I always bring bottled water for them...again, this is for longer outings, and if the weather is hot out at the time.

5. For most hazzards out on trails, it's usually a good idea to "desensitize" your horse too, if possible. There are always new things for them to see, that they don't see everyday in their own home surroundings. Like as mentioned above (whether they are out in neighborhoods where there's children playing, riding bikes, bouncing balls...playing with their family dogs, and traffic...or whether they are out on Forestry trails where there's stray dogs, deer, birds that fly out of the brush or overhead swooping down to protect their nesting zones...and bears.... and other wildlife, depending on your region). Also, trash cans, if in neighborhoods, can seem awful suspicious to horses that don't see them everyday. Especially, if they have plastic bags or loose tops that can blow around on a breezy day. Just, basically, try to imagine the things you yourself will encounter if out on a trail hike...and take that into consideration for a horse that's never seen those things or heard those noises...and if possibly try to imitate them for them, and OFTEN, where they are learning to react to them as if they are normal every day encounters for them, and hopefully that could reduce their chances of bolting on you out of their otherwise natural fears.

Ok, I do have more ideas to share, but my hands are starting to hurt from typing all this so far.
default_wub.png
So, hopefully, some of you can share more helpful tips for trail outings out in "The elements" they'll encounter beyond their pastures and riding rings.
default_wub.png

Warmest HUGS to you all, and HAVE FUN out there...but KEEP SAFE! Ok?
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a storage bag under my seat and carry the following items:

hoofpick

clippers strong enough to cut the harness in case of emergency

spare tube for my tires.....along with hand pump

halter & leadrope

vet wrap

hoofwing boots if the terrain gets really rocky

orange vest....when I go out on roads

a mitt with bug spray on it incase what I had on him seems to be wearing off

my cell phone....but that stays on me incase we become seperated

a card with all my information is also in the storage bag incase we become seperated so they'll know who he belongs to

that's all I can think of right now but I'm sure there is more
default_biggrin.png

Good ideas so far! Here are a few I can think of off the top of my head:

ALWAYS wear the proper clothing. No shorts or sandals. Boots with some kind of heel, helmets whether you're driving or riding, and long pants.

Check and double check your tack and carts before hitting the trail. You normally don't carry spares so make sure everything is in order before you leave your destination.

While trail riding we've had a few scares with the less seasoned horses on trails and crossing a bridge. Even if you have a seasoned horse and will be crossing a bridge or some sort of ramp with a drop off always be in tuned to your horse and when in doubt, walk your horse across the bridge. I remember on a couple of occasions seeing those horses go up on that bridge or just fidgit and my heart was in my throat for the horse and rider.

Be a courteous rider/driver. Keep a safe distance from the others on the trail to prevent a kick or a bump in the cart that can lead to injuries and/or spooking.

I just bought the perfect little spares kit from Janie of Chimacum Tack. It contains lattigo, electrical tape, hoof-pick, exacto knife, adjustable wrench, pliers, plastic ties, and a rotary hole-punch...all fitted into thier own little pockets of a canvas wrap, that buckles closed, and has dee-rings for tying to your cart. This perfect little kit is only $60.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
I have also ordered both rein and trace splices, to complete the package.

I also carry a spare tube and pump if I am going off the beaten track.
default_yes.gif

Definately wear a helmet, and good footwear as well.
default_yes.gif

Being a driven dressage nut I can't imagine driving without my whip so that's always on me, no question. A spares kit with the kind of items mentioned above is always a good idea. I either outfit my cart with No-Flat inserts or drive with wooden or steel wheels. Zip ties, baling twine, and electrical tape are priceless!
default_aktion033.gif
You can use a buckle-nose halter that fits easily over your driving bridle so you don't have to carry more than a leadline. I often drive alone since we only have the one horse so my cell phone is always in my pocket and if I'm hauling out somewhere I call to let my contact know when I'm leaving the trailer and call when I get back so they know I'm safe. That way if I go missing somebody knows within an hour or two that something is wrong and knows where I was and where I was planning on going.

It hadn't occured to me to put contact information on my cart in case the horse got loose but that's a great idea.
default_yes.gif

I do a lot of night or twilight driving and I always have a reflective vest for me and reflective strips for all sides of the horse. I also carry a triangular slow moving vehicle sign on my cart so I'm legal to drive on public roads.

Bring horse treats for shameless bribery across bridges or past scary obstacles if necessary. Sometimes it works when nothing else will! If you have to, be prepared to unhitch the cart and lead across. You can tie them up on the other side by that handy halter you brought then walk the cart across the bridge and rehitch. Better that and a mental note to do more training at home than to push too hard and have an accident!

If you are going to drive in a hilly area, please please please loosen the check or take it off entirely. Your horse needs to be able to really use their neck to pull comfortably and they can't if they have a tight check on.

I carry a water bottle for myself on long drives and either let the horse drink out of that or provide juicy fruit like an orange or watermelon rinds to help keep the horse hydrated. I was taught that one when doing 25 mile competitive trail rides and man, the horses love those watermelon rinds!
default_biggrin.png

Safety issue: Do NOT simply take off the horse's bridle and let them graze while still hitched to the cart. It is not safe! Take the couple of minutes necessary to undo the wrap straps, holdbacks and traces and take the cart off. Set it aside where the horse cannot step over the shafts as they graze.

Hmm, another safety issue that I don't even think about anymore: Use breeching! Use a kick strap too if you've got a young green horse. It's easy to get excited in all those wide open spaces and want to buck a bit. Hitting the kick strap once will foil that idea before it can become a problem.

Be on the lookout for insects. There's nothing like getting stung by a whole nest of aroused ground wasps or bitten by angry ants to make a carriage horse take off!
default_new_shocked.gif

My horses all get desensitized early to traffic and road hazards but if you don't have time to train your horse before your first drive, make sure an older more experienced horse goes first and have a navigator along in your cart that can hop out and head the horse if he gets nervous. Don't take chances with your safety or that of the people around you!

A good trail horse should know how to stop and stand patiently, back up against resistance like deep mud or branches under the wheels, and be willing to pivot the cart around in tight quarters where they might be required to push through heavy brush in order to do so. No snitching green things on the side of the trail! *LOL*

Goodness, I know there are more things but like you mentioned these are the things that we don't even think about. I'll post again as I come up with more of them.

Oh, here's one. Pad both your breastcollar and saddle for the horse's comfort. Use one of the variety of non-fuzzy pads available as they don't become nasty with sweat and won't trap heat as much as the fuzzy ones.

Make sure your cart is balanced and your harness is correctly fitted. If you can, use a wider harness with good wither clearance to distribute the load better instead of a narrow show harness.

Make sure at least one person brings basic first aid supplies for humans and horses. Vet wrap is a good idea.

And the #1 rule: Don't forget to pack your common sense.
default_cheers.gif

Leia

Thanks so much for all of everyone's helpful advice so far!
default_wub.png
Great input!
default_yes.gif

I hope others will continue sharing and post more of their tips as well!
default_wink.png

There are many who do read here but don't post, and have expressed their thanks for all your helpful advice so far. You really are helping, more than you might know.
default_yes.gif

default_saludando.gif
Thanks again, so much!
default_wub.png

To take a great idea a step further, be sure that that contact information card is taped to the cart (or the harness?) so that it can't be separated

...and be sure that it includes the cell phone that you will have attached to you. Just think, you will not only hopefully find your horse that much sooner, but it also could be a lifeline if you are injured.

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm doing lots of research before buying my first horse. What is a riding crop? Also, am I understanding correctly that you can hook a mini to a cart and go into the woods? I feel silly asking this, but we live in a very rural area and we would like to take the kids into the woods with their horse and be able to let them ride him around the neighborhood. Your trail advice is great information by the way! We are looking at one this week end and they said he can trail ride, drive, and great with kids. We've been looking for so long, I hope this one is it.

jiterbug

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm doing lots of research before buying my first horse. What is a riding crop?
A crop is another name for a "whip". Primarily used as a "que" tool for the horse to do something you are asking of them. Used in many disciplines from riding, driving and groundwork in training, and even for some trick training. Lots of uses when used correctly. Also serves as a great "charging dog detterant" when out and about with your horses.
default_wink.png

Also, am I understanding correctly that you can hook a mini to a cart and go into the woods?
default_yes.gif
Yes. Most Forestry management zones will have maintained roadways or trailways that "hunters" mostly use during hunting seasons. In the "off seasons" they usually open them up for horse trails or hikers for people too explore too on foot or ATV's and bike trails, etc. In "unmanaged" wooded areas these activities can also be done, but for folks driving minis, these usually pose greater obstacles. So we mostly stick to the forestry managed areas. Plus, those areas are usually already "mapped" and in the event of an emergency, you can usually notify for help by cell phone if you have one, and can give your marked area of your whereabouts for quicker help. Potentially safer, yet still "out in the elements" of the land, so to speak.
default_smile.png

I feel silly asking this, but we live in a very rural area and we would like to take the kids into the woods with their horse and be able to let them ride him around the neighborhood. Your trail advice is great information by the way! We are looking at one this week end and they said he can trail ride, drive, and great with kids. We've been looking for so long, I hope this one is it.jiterbug
default_aktion033.gif
Wishing all the best for you. Hope your family shares lots of fun in many ways these little horses can offer!
default_wub.png

I'm doing lots of research before buying my first horse.
Perfect way to go about it...ignorance is not bliss...
default_biggrin.png
Everyone had to start somewhere...and this is a great place to start.

What is a riding crop?
It is a short flexable "stick" (usually with loop-handle) that is used to tap the horse on the sides, as an aide with one's legs. The driving whip, is much the same, (only longer of course)...as it is actually your "leg" when driving. It is an aide...not a "beater-stick".
default_yes.gif
I can no more imagine not driving without a whip in my hand, as I can imagine trying to ride, without my legs.
default_unsure.png

you can hook a mini to a cart and go into the woods?
Oh absolutely you can...as long as the trail is wide enough, of course...and horses are allowed on that trail. some trails around our towns are human paths only...no dogs of horses allowed. (Heaven forbid they go into the countryside and step in something.)
default_no.gif
:DOH!

We are looking at one this week end and they said he can trail ride, drive, and great with kids.
Have the owner hook-up and take the kids for a drive...and if they have a ring...ask if they will let the kids drive one at a time...before you buy the horse. If I am selling a kid-safe horse...it is that...and I will take the time to prove it. I want my horses to go where they will stay; most of us do, and will go that "extra mile" to ensure it the best possible chance.

Oh absolutely you can...as long as the trail is wide enough, of course...and horses are allowed on that trail. some trails around our towns are human paths only...no dogs of horses allowed. (Heaven forbid they go into the countryside and step in something.)
default_no.gif
:DOH!
default_thumbup.gif
I agree, I can never get over stuff like that, LOL! Same for when folks move to "the country" and complain their neighbor has a dog or a horse or a cow or.....
default_wacko.png

Um... yeppers...that's what you find out here in the sticks.... "countrified stuff like that".
default_yes.gif
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back