Sand Impaction from crusher dust?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have crusher dust in their paddock? It’s not been a problem in the past, but both my minis had an Impaction. No change in diet or anything else… vets confused. Only thing I can think of is some small bits of stone picked up while eating stray bits of hay. I always feed with 1” hay nets.

Do you have any little grass growing in the paddock? It's very normal for them to have sand in their diet, it's just more rare that it gets stuck. Mineral oil, inulin fiber and lots of exercise should help alleviate the problem. I hope your little dudes are doing better!

Do you have any little grass growing in the paddock? It's very normal for them to have sand in their diet, it's just more rare that it gets stuck. Mineral oil, inulin fiber and lots of exercise should help alleviate the problem. I hope your little dudes are doing better!
Thanks!

Was there a major change in weather? If it suddenly got very hot or very cold, maybe they got dehydrated? Feeding them salt (not just providing a block, which they may or may not lick, but putting salt in their feed) might help keep them drinking even if the weather changes suddenly.

Was there a major change in weather? If it suddenly got very hot or very cold, maybe they got dehydrated? Feeding them salt (not just providing a block, which they may or may not lick, but putting salt in their feed) might help keep them drinking even if the weather changes suddenly.
Thanks! Adding salt to their feed is something that I have started. I m guessing it was a combination of things…. Vet could not determine a definitive cause.

I use the crushed stone in my paddocks and have never had an impaction colic from it. And I feed my hay right off the ground. I hope they are feeling good again.
Thanks so much for your feedback! I’m finding it difficult that we can’t figure out what caused it…. Which means I can’t fix it. Would rather be able to know what to do differently. Vets also say just sometimes we don’t know.
My 24 year old made it, although it was tough going for too long, and my 6 year old ruptured and died. So hard.

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that. They can ingest some of it, and it's possible for it to cause problems but it affects each horse differently and I find it hard to believe it would affect them both at the same time. I would think it's more likely a sudden change of weather that might have them both drinking less one day. A problem with the water that they didn't want to drink? Or something that they both ate...a weed, something in the hay, a neighbor threw them something? Chewing on wood fence or a branch that fell in with them? You can buy stuff on line to prevent sand colic. I've never used it but I think it's once a week or once a month. While I don't think that was your problem if you can't find anything else at least it gives you something you can do.

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that. They can ingest some of it, and it's possible for it to cause problems but it affects each horse differently and I find it hard to believe it would affect them both at the same time. I would think it's more likely a sudden change of weather that might have them both drinking less one day. A problem with the water that they didn't want to drink? Or something that they both ate...a weed, something in the hay, a neighbor threw them something? Chewing on wood fence or a branch that fell in with them? You can buy stuff on line to prevent sand colic. I've never used it but I think it's once a week or once a month. While I don't think that was your problem if you can't find anything else at least it gives you something you can do.
Thanks for the suggestions! We did have a couple of hot days… I m thinking a combo of things created this situation. The vet suggested Psyllium husks which I bought at the Bulk Barn and add a teaspoon to their feed once a week. Makes me feel better, anyway…
Thanks again

I'm so sorry you lost your horse, Susan! :confused: I agree it's unlikely to be the stone dust but it's hard to be sure.

For the psyllium - you need a lot more than a teaspoon, you need a couple ounces - depends a bit on what schedule you feed it on. For my guy who had a bout of fecal water I was using it daily, 2 ounces by weight (he is about 300 lbs). For sand removal you're supposed to not feed it all the time, usually they recommend one week a month. Not sure how big your horse is but you can't really OD them on psyllium anyway (it can be a palatability issue, you'll need to soak it most likely to get them to eat the loose stuff in any appreciable amount, and then it gets a little slimy if it isn't mixed with enough other stuff). I used a pelleted product because I'm not able to soak his feed, and he ate that just fine. Not so happy for the wallet, but, horses.

I'm so sorry you lost your horse, Susan! :confused: I agree it's unlikely to be the stone dust but it's hard to be sure.

For the psyllium - you need a lot more than a teaspoon, you need a couple ounces - depends a bit on what schedule you feed it on. For my guy who had a bout of fecal water I was using it daily, 2 ounces by weight (he is about 300 lbs). For sand removal you're supposed to not feed it all the time, usually they recommend one week a month. Not sure how big your horse is but you can't really OD them on psyllium anyway (it can be a palatability issue, you'll need to soak it most likely to get them to eat the loose stuff in any appreciable amount, and then it gets a little slimy if it isn't mixed with enough other stuff). I used a pelleted product because I'm not able to soak his feed, and he ate that just fine. Not so happy for the wallet, but, horses.
Thanks ….
And thanks for the helpful info!

I’m so sorry Susan about your horse, such a hard thing to happen. It is frustrating when vets can be as baffled as we get!

I had a B size mini that received 1/2 of vegetable oil (1/4 cup twice a day). My vet recommended giving it a try and it seemed to help. I kept a gallon size jug in the feed room and it lasted awhile!

Latest posts

Back