To show or do therapy...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llamamama

Reaction score
Hi
I'm looking to purchase my first mini. I would love to have a therapy horse as I work with special needs students. I'm also attracted to the idea of amateur showing. Does one have to choose?

Of course not. It takes a special kind of mini to do therapy work but as long as you are willing to hold out for one that can do both there is no reason you can't.

Where and how would one go about finding 'the one'? I don't have a lot of horse experience nor know of anyone who could advise me on selection. While there are many good breeders out there, there are still many unscrupulous ones as well who would tell you basically anything.

Where and how would one go about finding 'the one'? I don't have a lot of horse experience nor know of anyone who could advise me on selection. While there are many good breeders out there, there are still many unscrupulous ones as well who would tell you basically anything.

You can do both. I would look for an older " been there, done that" mini that has already been trained, shown and had some experience being out in the world and then build upon that training for the therapy work as you enjoy your show mini.

It is possible to do both with the same horse. A therapy horse would require a lot more training and acclimation to strange environments, different noises, smells, confined spaces etc. A lot will depend on you. Your confidence and experience. Both of which will grow over a long time, as well as your understanding of each other. This will be a long project, but so rewarding.

I started with zero experience about 9 years ago when I got my first horse. I've come a long way and so have my horses, and our relationships. The hardest part was training myself and I'm still working on it. The more time you spend with them, the better you both will be.

A horse with experience that can be demonstrated to you is a good place to start. Spend some time with that horse before you make a decision. A horse with training and experience will cost more but its a time saving shortcut. Remember, you still have to train yourself too.

It is possible to do both with the same horse. A therapy horse would require a lot more training and acclimation to strange environments, different noises, smells, confined spaces etc. A lot will depend on you. Your confidence and experience. Both of which will grow over a long time, as well as your understanding of each other. This will be a long project, but so rewarding.

I started with zero experience about 9 years ago when I got my first horse. I've come a long way and so have my horses, and our relationships. The hardest part was training myself and I'm still working on it. The more time you spend with them, the better you both will be.

A horse with experience that can be demonstrated to you is a good place to start. Spend some time with that horse before you make a decision. A horse with training and experience will cost more but its a time saving shortcut. Remember, you still have to train yourself too.
Thank you. Good advice.

It looks like there is a club, Oklahoma Miniature Horse Club, active in your state? If so, they may be a great resource for you. While I had been active with large horses 'back in the day' specifically hunter/jumper, miniature horses were a new adventure.

I purchased my first miniature around 1990 and at that time the MN Miniature Horse Club had a number of annual events and a good size membership. Attending the shows and talking to people was helpful and educational. I'm very grateful to all who took time to answer questions and to share their mini horse wisdom.

They are great fun and as a family we have enjoyed them in a variety of ways from on the farm to shows and parades.

Take your time in looking and deciding. Cayuse makes a great point in looking for an experienced mini. Miniatures are long-lived and as you already know, the purchase price is chump change compared to decades of farrier, vet, feed, and equipment bills! :eek:

Good luck!

It looks like there is a club, Oklahoma Miniature Horse Club, active in your state? If so, they may be a great resource for you. While I had been active with large horses 'back in the day' specifically hunter/jumper, miniature horses were a new adventure.

I purchased my first miniature around 1990 and at that time the MN Miniature Horse Club had a number of annual events and a good size membership. Attending the shows and talking to people was helpful and educational. I'm very grateful to all who took time to answer questions and to share their mini horse wisdom.

They are great fun and as a family we have enjoyed them in a variety of ways from on the farm to shows and parades.

Take your time in looking and deciding. Cayuse makes a great point in looking for an experienced mini. Miniatures are long-lived and as you already know, the purchase price is chump change compared to decades of farrier, vet, feed, and equipment bills! :eek:

Good luck!
Thank you. I've emailed a member of the Oklahoma branch and received a reply. I plan to attend their first show of the year in March to speak with some folks first hand.

Latest posts

Back