??? to ask Equine Dentist

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
to ask in determining which Dentist to use. In the past Ive just used my vet but he doesnt have the tools for the minis and at the time I only had 2 horses. To be honest I dont know if he did a good job or not he did what he was supposed to do I guess. He used power and regular files and did knock both horses out alittle. Any way I think this time for the 5 horses I want to use a real equine dentist and have found 2 that will come the 2hr. drive if I have all 5 done. Both of these have done minis. But what other things besides price should I ask about. Are power tools better/safer??? should they only use hand files for minis?? Medications?? Im sure he will give me answers to these ??? but I would like to know your thoughts because Im sure you all know alot more about the minis as opposed to the big horses. Thanks so much.

I would like to give you their names and if anyone from Fla. has heard or used either one...good or bad would you please email me privately. Thanks ever so much Heidi

P.S. They are both from Florida

Brian Silvernail Certified Equine Dentist

or

David Deuschle EDT Certified Equine Dentist

If any one knows and can recommend another in SW Fla. Im open to suggestions.....Thanks

I have been told that the power tools make rubber hoses out of the teeth. Has something to do with the heat/friction I think? My dentist never uses them. He does knock them out abit though.

Emma

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Are you a vet?

2) Do you sedate?

3) Do you use power tools?

4) Is dentistry your speciality?

5) Do you use a speculum?

All answers I expect to be "yes" if I am to use them!

I use an equine dentist for all my horses, big and small. She recommends using hand floats only, with rare exceptions, as its too easy to do damage with the power floats.

Nathan, if I may ask, why do you think using power tools are o.k. Im not trying to be a smart a &^%^#$... I really am curious to know which is better. I will say that neither of these people are vets so Im not sure if they are even allowed to sedate ( or if I want them to ) I will have to ask them. They are both Equine Dentists so I hope Dentistry is their specaility. I just dont know if there are any vets around here that Specialize in dentistry. Nathan I respect your thoughts and I know you know alot more than I do so what ever else you can clue me in on is appreciated.

Emma and Chandab, thank you, I had also heard that about power tools ( dont use them ) so hopefully Nathan will be able to give me a different view. Thanks

I agree with Nathan. My dentist (who is certified with the IAED and is an examiner and vet) has been practicing for over 30 years. He sedates, uses power tools, uses a speculum, and only works as a dentist even though he is a vet. He does take special care to ensure that his tools never get hot and he does not cause any damage. I know several horses who are in their mid-twenties that he has been working on the majority of their lives (including one of mine) and their teeth are in great shape and they have plenty of tooth left for their age. I like that he now uses power tools. There is no blood (even though there was very little before) and the horses seem much calmer while being worked on. He does sedate, I couldn't imagine performing proper (or even adequate) work without sedating. Because of that I would never let someone who isn't a licenced vet perform dentistry work on my horse. It is so hard to find someone you trust when it comes to horses, especially when there are so many differing opinions. Good luck finding some who works well, your horses will thank you for the work. L

I guess I am on the other end of the spectrum.

I like it done as natual as possible. The vets here do use power tools and leave the horses bloody and sore (seen it done on my friends horses). So no thank you to that.

I use an equine dentist. She uses hand tools and no speculum. The horses are much calmer and compliant. They don't have the fear of having no control of their mouth.

And she uses no drugs.

When my horses had a speculum and sedation before they fought much more.

Anyway, just my opinion. But the best advice is to have references from your area from people who really care about their horses. Maybe ask if you can see the work being done at another of his clients houses if you can drive there.

I think that if you use power tools you HAVE to use a speculum, and if you use a speculum you HAVE to use sedation. Besides, sedation keeps them nice and quiet and keeps the procedure calm and quiet for everyone, most importantly the horse.

As far as power tools, used correctly in the hands of a pro they can do a far better job than files. They can do the job much less violently, resulting in less slips and less bruising of the gums and cheek, and less blood. They can also do the molars, whereas hand tools can not get back far enough. They can also level the teeth easier, allowing the vet to get to more calls in a day with less stress, making them feel better about their work and see more teeth, allowing them to have the oppertunity to see more mouths and get more practice.

Of course, in the hands of an amature or someone who doesn't take care, power tools can overheat or shread tissue if used as a sword and not a scalpel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back