Thumbs Up and Thanks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aristocratic Minis

Reaction score
Just wanted to give a “thumbs up” and thanks to those of you on this forum with so much knowledge and who are willing to share good information. I’m a relatively new driver and there is so much to learn.

For the last few days I’ve been going all the way back to the beginning of this driving forum and reading most of the threads which I’ve missed in the past. I have learned a lot from you.

Of course I know that there are different opinions to be shared from your different viewpoints – breed driving, pony driving, various classes, CDE, obstacle driving, dressage, trail driving etc. That being said, most of the “conversations” have been done with a great deal of respect for opinions and with a desire to educate. If one person explains something I cannot understand, it seems another person can explain the same concept and can paint a picture with words that I can understand. Thank you.

Some subjects have been re-visited in the forum a number of times. I hope, for the sake of new people signing on this this forum, that you do not get bored by answering the same question numerous times for the newbies. Also, for those new people, keep being patient with “dumb” questions. Thank you.

Also, for those new people, keep being patient with “dumb” questions. Thank you. [/size][/font]
There is no such thing as a "dumb question"!
default_wink.png
default_biggrin.png

I'm a relatively new driver and there is so much to learn.
That is half the "battle" right there! If you already realize that there is much to learn, you are already on the right track. It's the people that think that they know everything already who are a danger to society and themselves, as well as their horses. I even look back on the mistakes I have made over my "driving career" and shake my head. I almost posted a photo of me driving in one of my first driving classes with my apron under my coat (common beginner error
default_rolleyes.gif
). Most of us have been there at one point or another, and we like to share what we know so that others don't make the same mistakes.
default_biggrin.png

Myrna

Driving is one of those things where a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. The more you learn, the more you realize there is to learn.

When a person watches a driving class at a show, the good drivers look so poised. They make is look so darn easy! Those who make it look effortless are really doing so many things mentally and physically that observers don't often notice. The physical movements they make are so subtle and unnoticeable that it appears the horse is reading thier mind. Instead the drivers are making calculations and tiny corrections by small hand movements. It all looks so simple when they do it.

It is harder than it looks to get that perfect connection with your horse when you are both on the same page. When it does happen, it is a glorious feeling.

That's why I want to learn all I can. It is so much fun when you feel your horse and you "click."

The more you learn, the more you realize there is to learn.
Boy, ain't that the truth! I especially know how that goes after having lessons with "big time" trainers and drivers! I've taken lessons from people who have been driving for longer than I have been on this earth! And it is also apparent when a big time driver takes your horse and instantly turns it into something that you have never seen before. (Suzy Stafford is AMAZING at this! She won the 2005 Pony Worlds and was bronze this year. She has incredible hands!)

Having had a bit of a brush with High Performance drivers over the last two years, walking hazards with them, listening to their "stories"....yup, I know nothing! I know that I can clean a pretty good stall....
default_rolleyes.gif
Once you enter that "world", you figure out that the driving world is pretty small and pretty big at the same time.

Myrna

Aristocratic Minis said:
When a person watches a driving class at a show, the good drivers look so poised. They make is look so darn easy! Those who make it look effortless are really doing so many things mentally and physically that observers don't often notice. The physical movements they make are so subtle and unnoticeable that it appears the horse is reading thier mind. Instead the drivers are making calculations and tiny corrections by small hand movements. It all looks so simple when they do it.
default_yes.gif

It's funny- beginners seem to come in two flavors. I have no respect at all for "yahoos" who are willfully ignorant and convinced they know better than everyone else and end up getting themselves and others hurt. The other type may do some of the same things, harness-wise, but because they approach the horse and the activitiy with a spirit of genuine enjoyment and love they get away without accident for the same reason little kids can climb all over horses who would kill an adult. I have NO problem with those folks at all and would never shake my head over anything they do! I might grin and gently suggest they fix XYZ for the horse's comfort and their safety, but mostly they make me smile. Sometimes the pure love of the horse gets so buried in Doing Things Right that we forget why we got into this sport in the first place! Not aiming that at anyone here, but I've certainly seen beginners who I'd rather ride with than some so-called professionals. At least their horses are happy and trust them.
default_wacko.png

I aspire to be a Professional Student of the horse. I hope I always feel they have something to teach me! I learn from people too of course (it would be stupid not to ask advice from those who have been doing this far longer than I) but it's the horses who tell me if I'm doing it right. It's their opinions that matter to me. It's their happiness and cooperation I strive for.

That's why there are new drivers who get nothing but kudos from me and National Champions (of every breed and discipline, not referring strictly to minis) who would not be allowed within twenty feet of my animals and who will never receive more than a polite "good job!" from me. If I can't say something nice and mean it, then I'll say nothing at all!
default_biggrin.png
And if your horse looks unhappy I'm not going to be able to say something nice.
default_no.gif
I don't care what equipment you have on it or what style you're showing in as long as your animal appears to be enjoying its job.

I'm glad you're enjoying your new driving adventure and welcome you to our forum. Keep that spirit of joyful exploration and enthusiastic learning!

Leia

Just wanted to say thanks to Aristocratic Minis for posting on here. It is a wonderful reminder that just because someone doesn't post on a thread, it doesn't mean they aren't out there reading and learning from it.

Agreed. There is so much to learn, I've ridden nearly all of my life and have been driving the last 10 years but I feel like I have just scratched the surface. And BTW, Aristocratic Minis is doing pretty darn well for a beginner!
default_smile.png

Jan

Back