Thinking-new class for AMHR

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormy

Reaction score
Just sitting here thinking, we have a golden age driving class for people...and we have 3 and 4 yr old driving for horses, what about a golden age driving class for horses 15 or over??? Nothing more fun then a horse that has been there a few times!

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of a new rail class I would much rather add classes to give the driving horses something else to do besides driving in circles, this would also bring in the CDE people and ASPC already has these classes offered for the shetlands:

Carriage Driving

Carriage Reinsmanship

Carriage Precision Driving

Carriage-Working

Carriage Obstacle Driving-Timed

They had already tried adding a Senior Halter class, can't remember the age requirement on that and it was voted down at Convention last year, and I would imagine this would be voted down as well. If a horse has it then he will bring it. I would rather AMHR gain a new audience.

I don't know... Many winning driving horses I've seen only get better with age. I'm not thinking that youth is an advantage in a performance class. In fact, the Shetlands are so dominated by older ponies in driving that they offer Junior and Limit classes. I'd think if anything is added, a Junior or Limit might be good for the minis.

I would show in the carriage classes and I would love to see a multiple obstacle class too!

I would absoutely hate to see them add a Junior class or I wouldn't really care to see them add a Limit class. I do agree that senior horses seem to do better in the performance classes, so I just don't feel the need to add a Senior class. We have so many as it is, Open, Youth, Amateur, Golden Age, Mare/Stallion/Gelding, Heights, 3 & 4 year old, gentleman, ladies, I'm sure there is more but can't remember any.

If AMHR were to add other classes they need to think what will attract people more. Adding a Senior class won't cut it, and neither will a Junior or Limit class IMO. It may not be the carriage classes but I know the registeries are wanting to get more involved in the CDE stuff and since the Shetlands already have these classes I would think it can be a easy transition to add it to the minis as well. When AMHR created the Western division there was a lot of uncerntainty whether or not this division will take off, now its just as big as the Country class. Last year they introduced the Draft halter class, I gurantee this year will be the biggest for Draft driving because of the halter class. At the last show I went to was the Area VI National show the Single Draft Driving class was big with 6 entries and over half of those entries got involved because of the Draft halter class at Nationals last year. I know myself I even bought myself a wagon and a draft cart. I know someone who plans on trying to show a 8-horse hitch at Nationals this year. So if we were to add classes we need to think along the lines of what will attract people the most and not just continue to add more rail classes unless its absoutely necessary.

Interesting ideas, I guess I kind of feel the focus has been on halter for a long time and seems to be shifting towards performance. Dressage driving has always been interesting to me as well and reinsmanship would add a whole new focus though rules would have to be very clear on the judging of this class to keep it from becoming just another rail class....

Also how to get performance horses the recognition they deserve....we have the champion of champions presentation for halter horses but no real acknowledgement of performance...

(too much time to think while laid up!!
default_smile.png
)

Delmarva Miniature Horse Club has been giving a special trophy and big rosette for High Point Performance A and B Minis for many years at our annual point show.It also helps the club since many people enter more performance classes.the exhibitors love it.We also do Amateur Champion of champions A and B

Last edited by a moderator:
Chariot has been a big hit in AMHR, and as someone else mention the western country really grew fast....if we could add one more performance class, something differant, something to draw more participants into performance and make people want to stay and watch performance after their halter classes are done what would it be??

Cones class?

Maybe a Freestyle??

I am always one for reinsmanship where the driver really has to show their bond and communication with the horse they are handling....

Ideas?

Chariot is going to be even bigger this year. I know of at least 4 teams will be at Nationals this year and something special in the chariot class as well. Its a fun class.

For a cones class the carriage precision driving really describes it well.

Carriage Precision Driving:

The purpose of the competition is to test the skill of the driver and the obedience and handiness of the animal. Martinagles and over checks are prohibited for all vehicles. Side checks are optional. Failure to comply will incur elimination. Entries are required to drive over a course consisting of at least six to a maximum of eight obstacles. The track of the course will be irregular, necessitating changes of direction.

JMS I think that would be a very fun class too in singles or pairs....not entirely familiar with the rules but is timed with faults for knocking a ball off the cone? Going to go look up more info.

No the precision driving is judged 80% on a fault system and 20% on manners and performance.

Now the carriage obstacle driving class is timed.

Back