They say "Patience is a Virtue"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

Reaction score
My mother used to say patience was a virtue. I think breeding horses is a trial to see if you have patience !!

One mare is now over 340 days and the second one is 338 today. We have four mares on cameras.

I can't believe that none have foaled!!!!

At this rate, the next two will catch up and they will all have them at once.
default_wacko.png

Trying to keep my sense of humor I am now hoping they do not deliver until after midnight and I can figure out an April Fools Day name.
default_laugh.png

Anyone else in the same boat.

No babies yet?!! Surely someone will go for you any minute Joanne... hang in there! My two mares are at 300 and 307 days so I have no choice but to be patient for a bit
default_wacko.png
They are both early foalers in the past though so maybe not too long??

Well I have a mare at 356 days, and she finally looks like she is getting close. My other 2 mares are 337 days along. I have been watching them for a month already.

I have one at 311 tomorrow--and not the hint of udder developement yet. I have from the 10th-19th off and was really hoping she'd go in there somewhere... but in the past she's needed 3 weeks to go from no udder to foaling... maybe she'll surprise me. I hope so. My mare at 291 has more progress.

I'd be a wreck if one went as long as some of yours--ugh. Good luck--hang in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
As of 3 minutes ago, we're at day 344. I'm up on mare-stare right now because it looks like she'll go tonight.....here's to hoping!
default_rolleyes.gif

Ahhh, the mares are just making certain they are fully baked. Hope you have some healthy foals soon (and the chance to gain some sleep).

My little Lily is at 319 days. She has a pretty good bag but she is also a maiden. I've had maidens bag up two months before foaling. Though she started her bag at the end of February so she should definately foal sometime here in April. I noticed this morning her back is not as flat and wide so the foal is dropping. Goodluck to your prolonging mares:)

I have a mare at 337 today that has foaled at 335 and 340 previously. She has no bag. You can express some milk from her teats, but no bag!!
default_wacko.png
No other signs of foaling soon either. She's on a cam at night and she definately has some behavior changes, but no physical changes. :arg! I REALLY need her to foal this week!

WHEW!.. I am glad that I am not only one here!.. (just kidding)

My maiden mare is on 336 days today....

I check on her 4-6 time a day and waiting and keep getting up and peek through my bedroom window.

Which the barn is next to my house and does have light (dim) in the barn so I can see her at night..

I remember one time that my husband got up at middle of the night and he peeked and I goes Awww's and laughed.. He want to help me to check on her.. What a sweet guy!..

I always at home and I am housewife and do take care of our children and animals.. ;)

My husband work full time at home.. We are very BLESSED by God. ;)

Can't wait to see everyone's foal on here!...
default_wub.png

I have one at 311 tomorrow--and not the hint of udder developement yet. I have from the 10th-19th off and was really hoping she'd go in there somewhere... but in the past she's needed 3 weeks to go from no udder to foaling... maybe she'll surprise me. I hope so. My mare at 291 has more progress.
Karla, we must have related mares. I have one at 309 today and no sign of udder yet. She foaled the last time at 316 and she doesn'' look to do anything like that this year. I have another at 291 today and she's looking a lot more 'foaly'. *Sigh* These mares certainly keep us on our toes!

344 and still counting....no luck last night & less than 3 hours of sleep for me.
default_wink.png
Have her on camera, so at least I don't have to tromping out there every 15 minutes.

As of yesterday around 3:00 pm, she's been fully bagged & real hard, belly has dropped, butt is squishy, girl-stuff all stretched & relaxed & darker red inside....but she's a maiden, so who knows when she'll be kind enough to do this
default_rolleyes.gif

I'm just hoping everything goes well (when it finally does) & we end up with 2 healthy horses.

I have one that is all bagged up, soft rear, tail that is now easy to lift, red vulva and she was restless last night and we had a storm. Everything to go, but...she didn't. She was 340 days yesterday. I have been watching her and another mare for a week. The other mare went yesterday morning, but not this mare.
default_no.gif
At least I got some sleep last night. This mare never lies down, so she does not set off the alarm. (still woke up and checked out the camera a couple of times.)

Yep, Bonny 336 and waiting.
default_smile.png

Carin I have one just like yours. Add to that she has foaled twice before with no significant udder development and filled up after foaling.

Both the mares that are due are laying down multiple times at night flat and setting off my alarms. You all know the drill... you wait until they stand up again and reset the pager, then the other mare lays down and starts it all over.

The words "punch drunk" are probably my best description right now.

Glad I am in good company. Can't wait to see all these foal photos!

Just hope they are not all burned and come out solid!
default_no.gif

I think I am in the same boat – if this is my test I might be failing as I am going bonkers.
default_wacko.png

I left one of my mares pastured with my stallion last spring/early summer so he had some company. Had the vet out to palpate and check to give me a foal date and according to him Sugar was due Jan 28th, yep I said January :DOH!

So I am shopping for a new vet that just might know what they are doing and ‘tech’ Sugar is at 393 days and been under the camera since new years weekend….

She’s had one foal previously but has had some sort of bag since mid Jan, different checks have had elongation and red vulva but nothing has been born. I see the baby moving around in there so she’s either posed by an alien
default_unsure.png
or will eventually have a baby!!

My other 2 girls are (hand bred one cycle) and due 3/4th week of this month and starting to get a small bag… guess Sugar just couldn’t go first - SIGH

Carin I have one just like yours. Add to that she has foaled twice before with no significant udder development and filled up after foaling.
Both the mares that are due are laying down multiple times at night flat and setting off my alarms. You all know the drill... you wait until they stand up again and reset the pager, then the other mare lays down and starts it all over.

The words "punch drunk" are probably my best description right now.

Glad I am in good company. Can't wait to see all these foal photos!

Just hope they are not all burned and come out solid!
default_no.gif
Joanne, you're definately in good company! This is why it's so irritating with this particular mare. First pregnancy was TEXTBOOK. Did everything the books said she would and foaled on 335. Second pregnancy was very dramatic with a HUGE belly and HUGE bag 2 weeks before foaling. Went at 340. This pregnancy? Very tight, snug belly, no bag, no softening, NOTHING but a little bit of milk that can be expressed at 337 days. I know she's pregnant. I just pray to god she doesn't pull one of those marathon pregnancies!
default_unsure.png

I'm there too! Watching two mares at the moment, one at 341 days, the other at 334 days. The one at 341 days is very slowly progressing, but I've been watching her like a hawk because her dam foaled this year at 297 days with next-to-NO signs of foaling.
default_wacko.png
The mare at 334 days has had nine foals previously, but has practically NO bag, hardly a drop of milk can be expressed, and is just now relaxing in the vulva. But HER daughter this year foaled at 314 days, and this mare has foaled as early as 305 days herself. Watching her carefully too.

I also have mares at 331 days and 330 days with NO bag whatsoever. This is such a WEIRD year! :DOH!

Oh, and have I mentioned that I'm exhausted? lol! Each live foal is so worth it though, I just grow accustomed to being a walking zombie during foaling season.
default_wink.png

Mine had hers....Day 344. He's an angel-foal. She had him just outside the edge of the camera area, so I didn't get out there right away. She wasn't acting funny or anything & was in eating her hay. So I didn't think anything was up. I went out there just to check on her again & see how she was progressing & to clean her shed & feed her again. She'd just had him within the hour & he wasn't breathing when I got there. Tried to revive him, but it had already been too long. I'm just sick over it
default_no.gif
default_sad.png
default_no.gif

Thankfully we do have one other colt (our one & only now) who is healthy & happy, so the kids will have him to enjoy this summer...

Latest posts

Back