They say "Patience is a Virtue"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh MyMenagerie, I am so sorry to hear about your little angel colt! Must be so tough. Big hugs to you, your family and your sweet mare.

That is what we all fear. Just missing it when we are so blasted tired.

Just doing something stupid like not resetting the pager.

Years ago a breeder said she was so happy foaling season was over. I looked forward to foaling season then and was sad when it was over. It took several years of foaling seasons to realize what she meant. It is the not knowing that they will be born alive and survive that gets to you after awhile.

Once the season is over, you know .....

And EVERY season brings something new. We just do not know what that will be.

Again, I am so glad to share with all of you and know you are going through the same thing.

Thanks.
default_smile.png

First...MyMenagerie...I'm so sorry for the loss of your colt
default_sad.png

Joanne...add me to the list...I have a maiden mare at 341 days today...not full bagged up...soft rear...red elongated vulva...and she's been VERY restless since last night...but still no foal. And of course this is one of my most anticipated foals...and the mare is the princess of the farm...I'm starting to get very impatient!
default_wacko.png

The first mare who was due this year has always foaled on or before 320 days...this year was 329 days. I have another maiden at 319 days who's making nice progress...and then still 7 more after that...boy am I going to be tired
default_new_shocked.gif

Tracy

Good topic! Thanks for starting this thread.

And I am so sorry for the loss of your colt, MyMenagerie. It is also my fear- our ONLY horse, our FIRST foal, and her 12 yr old owner checking on her every 30 minutes. Despite reminding ourselves that problems are a fact of life, she would be heartbroken to have something happen to this foal.

Our mare is on Day 338. Vulva relaxed, soft tail area, full udder, a little stand-off-ish & ornery, yet eating with reckless abandon and seemingly in absolutely no hurry to give birth
default_wink.png
She's been arching her neck in a strange way, swishing her tail alot...as if she read the book and is just teasing us
default_laugh.png

I am weary from lack of sleep; over a week now I've been sleeping in the barn in below freezing temps with a heating pad stuck in my sleeping bag... peeking through the stall fence quietly excited to see her lie down and roll, only to see her get up and sleep standing for the next couple hours.

I will keep sleeping out there on the off chance she or the foal will need assistance, and pray that I am capable of handling whatever happens. And oh how nice my bed will feel once she delivers a healthy foal
default_smile.png

Please keep the birth announcements coming- they remind me that our day will come! I'll be thinking good thoughts for all of you playing the "waiting game" along with us.

LG

LG I do not know how you can sleep in the barn.

We live in a rural area and there are times that trees fall and take out power in our area. If that happens during this time period I do head out to the barn with my sleeping bag, pillow, and flashlights, but I know the mares know I am there and just wait until morning or when the power comes back on. Even being there I am afraid I will sleep through the birth.

Without my Breeder Alert and Foaling cameras I feel like I am at a huge disadvantage.

Sure glad the power is on now.

P.S. No foals yet...

Well in just a couple of hours we will be at 342 and 345 days pregnant with no new foals.

I am just sure they are burning the foals and they will come out solid black, with not a spot of white on them!

I have four cameras on four mares if you want to wait up with me.

Latest posts

Back