The "in" color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erickson Miniature Horses

Reaction score
I know there's times when certain coats colors are very popular and a miniature's value can go up just because he has a desired coat, so I was wondering what the "in" coat is? How often does it change, every year, every month?

What a brilliant question!

I suppose everyone has their own favorite colors but as to what is in, I haven't a clue. I can look at some pintos and go "ok, It's a pinto" and then I can look at another pinto and go "Wow, now there's a pinto! " so I guess its just the overall horse involved.

Same with solids and dllutes etc. There can be a nice buckskin and then there can be a REALLY NICE buckskin. I also think the appaloosa has gained a lot of popularity in the last few years.

Again, very good question.

The last solid color class I was in there was a silver bay, 2 bucksins a black and then my boy. The Silver bay won hands down and then the buckskins; of course mine came in last, figured he would have a shot since his chestnut coat is diferent as he has white patterns throughout it.

I had a feeling either the silver bay or one of the buckskins would win the class.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what the "in" color is, but at one show I saw lots of bay pintos. I thought they looked really pretty and it made me want one. I guess color preference is all in the eye of the beholder.

I agree, eye of the beholder. But I LOVE dapples of any color. That would be my favorite right now. Of course I was roan obsessed for the longest time. I think any color that is shining healthy would be beautiful no matter what, but I guess I'm just partial to little horses in general, haha! One thing I've noticed (& I'm a newbie) is that the blue eyes are popular, and that fact is highlighted in sale horses (that I've seen). Is that something people breed for due to popularity? That would be a color thing I've noticed a lot of.

I have noticed that silvers have become a lot more popular recently over here.

I'm glad to hear that silver dapples and blue eyes are popular right now, because my foal Willow was born with blue eyes and she is a silver dapple
default_smile.png

Yes, silver anything is popular right now in my neck of the woods. I am finding that the solids are pinning better than the pintos right now and almost all of my buyers are interested in some sort of dilute when looking into breeding horses. Of course pretty is as pretty does though, I am constantly reminding clients to pick the best conformation as the prettiest color in the world cant hide bad conformation. Many of the breeders local to me have loud pintos or bright colors but the horse's builds are nothing to write home about. So as the "fads" and trends wane, people are stuck with pretty colored pet ponies. My favorite are the buckskins, I just love running my finger down their dorsal stripes (weird I know).

My showing experience is limited as I've only shown in my local club shows to this point. We do use carded AMHR judges though. What I've experienced is that it is solely a judge thing. One judge loves, loves, loves, pintos. It shows in his placements in halter sometimes and definitely in the color classes. Another judge just fell in love with my silver bay during one show last year.

I also know that during the earlier shows in our year, when my silver bay has been clipped and her sorrel color is nearly invisible (she clips to dapple gray), she does not get nearly as well placed in either halter or color.

And finally, I love having people come to our house because seeing the preferences of even non-horse folks is fun. And there's always a very definitive pattern. They either are 100% in love with my two pintos or they think my solid color horses, especially my silver bay, are the bomb. There is rarely anyone who can't decide on any particular one and love them all the same.

Personally, I love my silver bay. And my yearling smutty buckskin has the most unique mix of colors in her coat. My dark "black" horse (who looks more chocolate with bay features), simply glows this time of year and I love it. I love my two pintos too...the 5 yr old has the most adorable face of all of them. Yet, my silver bay just makes me so happy when I look at her.

I also know that during the earlier shows in our year, when my silver bay has been clipped and her sorrel color is nearly invisible (she clips to dapple gray), she does not get nearly as well placed in either halter or color.
My boy is the same way were he looks better with a little bit of his coat coming in then just freshly clipped. He is so much more of a rich dark sorrel that way which I love.

I've seen 50/50 blk pintos

Buckskins with rich gold and deep points

And nice deep silver dapples with white mane/tail do really well.

And good blk bay dose well too.

I'm thrilled that silver is in. My advice is -BLINK, there will be a new "in" coat color tomorrow! That is why people need to go with what they love, not what is in. Interesting topic!

I've never followed what was in
default_smile.png
I love all colors and patterns of horses. What draws my admiration is good conformation!
default_smile.png
I'd rather have a plain mud brown horse with great conformation than the most wildly marked horse with poor conformation
default_smile.png

That being said.....I LOVE black pintos with blue eyes!
default_wub.png

I personally haven't noticed a trend in color recently. I know when i first started with miniatures it was all about color. Had to be pinto or dillute. I think now more breeders are looking at confirmation and color just icing on the cake which it should be. I am seeing more solids than pintos at shows it seems like.

I'll be honest, I have a thing for splash and frame overos - not just any pinto. To me, the horses markings should enhance the horse not hinder it by making the conformation look worse than what it really is.

Conformation always (or at least should...I know several people who will pick color over conformation every time) come first and color and markings second. But if I had to choose between a solid and a pinto who has the exact same quality of conformation, I'd choose the Pinto every time. I just like how every horse looks unique and I love the variety.

I agree--I do not believe there is any one color that is 'in' - different people prefer different things, and individual judges may have a preference for a specific color, but there is no one color that makes it more likely that you will win at every show.

I really don't care about color, conformation and movement are the only factors I focus on.

That said, I have to 'fess up that we have two identically matched splash colts, or I should say my partner in the farm owns them. I want to keep them both and drive them as a pair, they would be so cool looking but she wants to sell at least one. I just have to hope someone will want both to show together.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well, everyone know I love the SPOTS....but I prefer the dilutes to the blacks that everyone seems to love.

I've shown many of my SPOTS....but it really seems to be the judges that make the decisions. I've had some great horses with great confirmation, and placed well over the years, even when appaloosas were not the "chosen ones." But, it seems it really depends on the judges at a particular show, and what they like.

Latest posts

Back