Teeth Care

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiterbug

Reaction score
floating teeth. I keep reading where posters get their horses teeth floated. What is that?

Floating is the fileing down of sharp edges on the teeth.
default_wink.png

We have our horses teeth checked every spring when the vet comes out to pull coggins for the show horses, we just have him go through and check everyones teeth. If anyone needs work, he comes back the next week or so and takes car of it. Some vets are skilled to do dental work, but you could also look into a equine dentist.

Floating is basically where you go in and and file down the sharp edges/bumps on the teeth. When horses eat they slide their teeth instead of "chomp" up and down like us humans. They "slide" there teeth over and over sideways and tear the hay ext. This creates sharp edges and bumps on the sides of the teeth that can cause pain. They have special "files" they go in with and file those down.

I cannot remember the guys name, but at the McCabe clinic, one of the better known equine dentists our of Kentucky has been at the clinic the past two years and put on a great demo
default_yes.gif

When I brought Kya home a couple weeks ago the vet checked her teeth and she had really bad ulcers on the inside of her mouth from where the sharp edges of her teeth were rubbing and biting down on her cheeks. Floating a horses teeth can really make a difference for them when they are in need of it
default_yes.gif

Back