Age? *teeth photos part 2

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee214

Reaction score
Since everyone was so helpful figuring out the age of our pregnant rescue mini, I figured I would post photos of this guy.
We were told he was 25-30 when I picked him up beginning of May. They were finding him a new home because the cows bullied him away from the bare feeder.
He acted like a senior in rough condition, very slow moving, fragile and weak almost. Very underweight and extremely matted. Honestly I figured we were most likely going to just pay for him to be humanly euthanized.
He received his first dental with us mid May. Was the worth teeth the vet said they had seen. He had one molar was was extremely long and created ulcers.
He still needs some dental work, that he couldn’t get done all in one appointment. He a drug hound this guy lol.
The great news is he has completed perked up and filling out beautifully!!
Here are some photos of his teeth.
Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_6529.jpeg
    IMG_6529.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6528.jpeg
    IMG_6528.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6526.jpeg
    IMG_6526.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6524.jpeg
    IMG_6524.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 3
I'm not great at aging by teeth, but judging by the length of tooth, I'd say older than teens. They are so dark, it's really hard to see if Galvaney's Groove is present, so hard to use that as a possible marker. Can you get a picture of the biting surface (of incisors), the shape of the teeth and presence or absence of dental star can help determine age.

I'm not great at aging by teeth, but judging by the length of tooth, I'd say older than teens. They are so dark, it's really hard to see if Galvaney's Groove is present, so hard to use that as a possible marker. Can you get a picture of the biting surface (of incisors), the shape of the teeth and presence or absence of dental star can help determine age.
Sure, I can definitely try.

Dang, those are dark teeth! Did the vet say anything about there color? What does the rest of the little guy look like :)? He's lucky he landed with you.

Galvayne was not the horse-tamer's real name, and the groove was not his original observation, but that of Professor Hamilton Sample who wrote a book on the topic in The Horse and Dog: Not as They are But as They Should Be in 1882. Sample used details of the groove in the third upper incisor as an indication of horse age in a range to 21. Galvayne or Frederick Henry Attride, his real birth name, was an apt student of Sample's, while in Australia, and wrote a book on the topic a few years later Horse dentition: showing how to tell exactly the age of a horse up to thirty years published in 1885. (Still in use) His fame extended to an audience with Queen Victoria.

Seems longer in the tooth, but the angle of his front teeth has really not shallowed. Very interesting dentition! I'm very curious about the cause of the dark colouration. I'd guess he's towards 20 but still within his teen years as well. Glad you've got him in your care!

Latest posts

Back