Tease Looking Close? Maybe? Hopefully?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A big congratulations to Kay and Tease on your gorgeous new filly. I MISSED it BUT I had good reason as my own mare was foaling - doesnt that just take the biscuit
default_new_rofl.gif

Anyway we have a little Perlino Colt with a dorsal so possible dun thrown in there as well.

Congrats again and so delighted that she finally foaled and will keep everything crossed that the rest of the night goes smoothly for you.

I am off to bed myself its now 3.44am Karina Time
default_biggrin.png
had a bit of my own drama but will explain tomorrow in a separate post.

Night Night and hope all goes well for you all.

i ran and got a stronger sedative. we will be turning the cam back off while we give it to tease.

the only mares we seem to have trouble with are the ones that have a hard foaling. That head was so stuck and we are so lucky we got her out

i hope this sedative works

I hope the sedative takes and she starts acting her role as a mother. I LOVE that foal, certainly worth watching tease all this time. What a Grand finale

Darn: I missed it by about an hour and a half!
default_sad.png
Was out mowing one of the overgrown pastures. Kay, the Shetland mare we had was the same. Seems like the uterine contractions afterwards sent her half insane and she just hated that baby at the time.
default_no.gif
Once we got her past that pain she started accepting the foal quickly. I hope it's the same for Tease. I ask God blesses these two creatures of his and protects them and makes them strong and healthy.
default_rolleyes.gif

I thought our mare was a DIVA...Tease even has an identical head toss LOL. I'll be praying for y'all. The filly seems to be doing much better now, when I first started watching them, you were rubbing her down and she wasn't moving
default_unsure.png
I'm so glad she's acting normal now...if only Tease would settle down so she could nurse! I hope everything starts to calm down soon for you guys.

No but I wish I knew. I had a similar circumstance last July and it did not turn out well for us. We lost our colt even though we had taken him to the vet hospital. I am learning sooooo much from watching and reading on this site. Kay seems to know what to do, I just wish she didn't have to struggle with this one.

The filly is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous.

Is Kay using a baby bottle to feed the foal? We had our foal tubed by the vet but this seems so much easier. If so, please pass on all the specifics on how, what, etc.

Prayers coming fast and hard from WI.

Thank you all so much for your prayers!

Gave Tease the stronger sedative and gave the baby colostrum again. I dont know what I would do without sally. Called my vet and she has a broken foot so couldnt come. Sally gave me colostrum she froze from her mare that lost her foal. I am so touched by her kindness.

This filly has so stolen my heart. She is so adorable and you cant help but kiss her nose.

This is a plain jane baby bottle with a plain nipple. I have found over the years they will take to this so fast where as other bottles wont do. I will take pics of it at a later date.

I sure hope this does the trick.

Thanks for the update Kay...I know you must be exhausted and so busy right now. I think the meds have done the trick for Tease-she looks to be a lot more relaxed. the filly certainly seems to love her mommy...sweet little neck rubs and such. Do you have any plans for 'milking' Tease for her colostrum to give to the foal or are you planning on helping them nurse?

Your entire gang did a wonderful job tonight!!!

I'm watching her on the cam now. What a beautiful filly
default_aktion033.gif

But I'm sorry about the momma. I'm watching momma being mean and pushing her away. Every time the baby gets close then momma says no way and pushes baby away. I pray that all goes well.

Why is Tease being so mean and rough with the filly? Is there such a thing of mom's and foals NOT bonding?

I am really worried that Tease is rejecting this foal. I have never had it happen but have heard of it. We cant give her any more sedative for a few hours. Kinda breaks my heart.

I have had mares be a little aggressive after a hard delivery, but by now they are usually okay.

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. I will pray that Tease gets an attitude adjustment and starts loving on that beauty!

I am really worried that Tease is rejecting this foal. I have never had it happen but have heard of it. We cant give her any more sedative for a few hours. Kinda breaks my heart.

I have had mares be a little aggressive after a hard delivery, but by now they are usually okay.
The last maiden we had foaled done the same thing for about 8 hours, we had to milk mom and feed baby by bottle, she finally did come around, I think it's more her not picking up on her natural instinct to let baby nurse, she just doesn't know what to do, Hopefully she will come around after you milk her a few times..
default_smile.png

Good luck Kay, such a beautiful filly you have there...
default_smile.png

Kay I agree the Filly is VERY Beautiful, is she still having problems with oxygen?.. Tease is looking dangerous
default_no.gif
Have you thought about tying her up and forcing the issue? Mel had a mare one year that ran away from it's foal after it was born. This was a large horse. He went and got her, took her and the foal to the barn. Tied the mare up and leaned against her hip so she couldn't kick, but you could tie a back leg up or a front leg, that way she couldn't kick. Mel had to do this every hour for the first nine hours and he said that mare would scream, was mean and tryed to get away. After the ninth hour she just started to accept it all and was a great mother after that. I am just wondering if the issue of nursing was forced upon Tease that eventually she would accept the foal. She looks like she could really do some damage
default_new_shocked.gif
Continued Prayers that she WILL accept this foal and this sweet Filly will have the Mama she deserves!

Blessings,

Jenny

I have had two first time mares that were uncomfortable about the foal nursing but each time we would milk the mare(with foal right there so she thought it was doing it) several times until her udders were not so painful and she learned that it was a relief to have that baby suckling. Of course we always fed the foal what we were stripping from the mare or we saved for future need.. Could she just be uncomfortable because she has such full udders? Babys are sometimes not very delicate when dealing with full painful udders...

Wait a minute, why colostrum from another mare???If its because of drugs given to the mother then ok... But you should definately relieve the pressure from her udders or she will NOT want that girl to nurse!

Last edited by a moderator:
This little baby has so much heart. She just wants to smother Mom w/her kisses. Breaking my heart watching her....she looks so alone in the big stall. I hope and pray that Tease will come around.....Im going to think positive here!....TEASE WILL COME AROUND!!

Actually I think maybe the sedative is helping her relax some, it looks like the baby is being allowed to get a lot closer to her rear end stay for longer periods of time.

How long before you would make the decision to perhaps milk Momma and bottle feed.I pressume THAT would be a last resort. If a baby could survive on LOOKS alone....this little girl would be a poster child for survival...she's so beautiful.

P.S.Thanks Diane, I thought she might have been bottle feeding but wasnt sure.

Kay, Thanks so much for taking the time to keep us updated...at a time like this,when your hands are full, it isnt necessary but very much appreciated .Thank You, Thank You

God Bless

We are making some progress. We tied tease and tried to get the filly nursing but I do believe she is a bit of a dummy foal and wont wake up until about 8 hours. She will nurse from a bottle but not suckle the teat. We had one do this years ago.

Tease was much better about letting the foal try to nurse and letting me milk her so I hope by the time the baby wakes up tease will let her nurse

we will keep going out every 2 hrs or sooner if we see trouble.

It helps to be able to talk to someone at this hour. Thanks so much to all of you.

Anyone remember the amounts of colostrum? My brain is mush. Just want to be sure we are getting enough in

Anyone remember the amounts of colostrum? My brain is mush. Just want to be sure we are getting enough in
I have always been told to give at least 60 ccs in the first 8- 12 hrs

I would sure consider getting an IgG test done on your beautiful filly just to be safe

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back