Tail trimming for shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slaneyrose

Reaction score
In U.S is it a requirement that the hind legs must be viewable from behind when the judge asks you to walk away from him/her?? If yes, how do you trim? If no..do you think it should be compulsory that the legs can clearly be seen???

No, there is no "rule" in the U.S. about trimming tails. Generally i have noticed that people cut them (bang them) straight across at about fetlock level.

I generally do this by trimming the tail when it is wet, straight across at GROUND level... that way when it dries and the horse is moving, the bottom of the tail is about at the fetlock.

Andrea

I owned a gelding who had a great, thick, bushy tail that I used to under cut with the clippers just a bit so it didn't look rediculous and his legs were somewhat visable. We'd also use a light coating of PAM cooking spray on the under side of the tail to keep it from catching inbetween the horses legs as they tracked as that also looks rediculous and is distracting. As for it being a requirement in the U.S., to my knowledge there is no rule stating the tail cannot block the view of a horse's hind legs and IMO there should be enough opportunities for a judge to see what's going on back there for there not to be a need for such a rule.

I only cut mine so they are off the ground. I do not cut them straight across either. I kinda cut up into them so they still look natural. I cant stand the straight across look(granted I do do this on our broodmares though)

As long as they aren't dragging on the ground it's fine if they have a long tail. I'm with Ashley I hate the chopped up look too.

As long as they aren't dragging on the ground it's fine if they have a long tail. I'm with Ashley I hate the chopped up look too.
I guess it's all in how you look at it. My halter horses always have their tails wrapped. When they are shown, their tails drag the ground about a foot or so behind them. It gives them a very elegant finished look as if to say "Here is a Halter horse" To each his own
default_smile.png

It's funny, I love a banged tail when it almost brushes the ground, almost like a beautiful skirt, but I hate shorter banged tails. They look like old prints of racehorses...okay if you're hanging on the wall, but not for real life.

But back to the topic...this is another case where it depends on the horse and how the tail affects the overall balanced look. I love a long, full, cascading tail, but some can be overwhelmed by too much of a good thing. Then there's Mingus, who could pull off a real whopper of a tail, but instead has just a very average tail...sigh...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back