Tail Maintanance(sp)?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph G

Reaction score
The topic of cutting tails got me to wondering what people do to maintain their show horses' tails.

I have tried over the years to use bags to protect tails, but have failed miserably. Tails always break above the bag for me, so now I just leave them alone except for the day before the show. Then I clean and braid them.

On the other thread people mentioned vetwrap and bailing twine. So, if you could give me your secrets for tail maintenance and post pictures of what you do that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Hi

I'm in New Zealand and new to the forum. I dont know what the tail bags are like over there, but we make our own here and havent had a problem with tail hairs breaking. They stay on all the time, even during winter out in the paddocks. We just plait the tail and put in to a tail bag. Does anyont have a pic of the tails bags you use?

Cara :bgrin

someone told me yrs ago (cant remember who) the best thing to do with tails is leave them alone lol. there is some truth to that. overbrushing and combing is not good.

the main thing i do especially for a tail rubber is put mtg on the top of the tail every couple days.

we only braid white tails the day before a show the rest i dont braid or bag. Tamale has a gorgeous tail and i really believe its because i basically leave it alone. Also i never brush or comb a tail unless it has tons of shosheen in it so im not breaking hair off.

Jet has very coarse mane and tail hair so we put pink conditioner in it a couple times a week. I like pink because you leave it in no rinsing

Last edited:
I have not touched my foundation shetlands tail since October, the more you brush the more damager you do. Never ever brush a dirty tail. The only time i will brush any tails is after a bath or if they have show sheen or MTG in them. You do more damage then you do good.

During the winter, more toward the end of winter when the mud comes out i will put there tails up with vet wrap, I just fold the bottom part of there tails upward and wrap it tightly with vet wrap. I will put something like MTG on it before doing that though normally to help with growth ext. Over winter though i do keep the tails braided and will normally re-do them every other week or so.

Afters baths i just heavily spray the tails with show sheen and let them go. I dont braid tails bc i dont like the waives in the tail that it makes. Right after baths they always go straight to a clean stall and are there until the show the next day so its not like the tail will be coming in contact with any mud or anything such as that.

I'm also a believer in good old MTG. During this time of year, i MTG all the tails & manes & forelock for that matter 1x a week ..normally on Fridays :)o) and will then braid them for a couple days.

After baths i always put conditioner on the tails/manes. I normally use either mane&tail or thermasilk. I like both
default_smile.png

I love beautiful tails :bgrin

MTG (Main-Tail-Growth) is a lyquid that you can buy at places like TSC that you apply to the horses body to help grow a coat or lengthen and add volume to the m/t. It smells like sulfer i guess is what others say, i still say it smell smore like bacon to me then agian i have grown use to the smell of sulfer ..this whole town smell like sulfer
default_wacko.png
: :eek:. Its like a yellow oil lyquid in a big bottle, make sure you shake it really well. It works wonders. Its particularly good for adding length to tails and the break offs at the top where it gets realy dry around the top of the tailbone
default_smile.png

Its gooood stuff, really works and make the tails shine. Costs like $14 and a bottle will last you for quite some time
default_smile.png

I've NEVER been able to keep my horses tails up, bagged or braided. They always find some way to take it out :eek: BUT, this method has worked well for me, it stays up for about 3 days on my horses (who are out 24/7 and like to make trouble
default_wacko.png
: ). I haven't tried it yet on the minis, but don't see why it wouldn't work for them too.
default_yes.gif
:

Putting Up Tails

I'm in New Zealand and new to the forum. I dont know what the tail bags are like over there, but we make our own here and havent had a problem with tail hairs breaking. They stay on all the time, even during winter out in the paddocks. We just plait the tail and put in to a tail bag. Does anyont have a pic of the tails bags you use?
Cara
Hey, welcome Cara, which Cara is it?? :bgrin

I've never had any luck with tail bags, if they don't pull off their own, they pull off each others, even through the fence!! :new_shocked: :eek:

I never worry too much about the boys, or the girls with dark tails - it's just those **** girls with light or white tails that get ruined! And as if that wasn't enough, I just found the other day, of my 2 weanling fillies, the one has chewed up the other's tail! :ugh:
default_crybaby.gif
: Oh what a mess!! Have to try and repair it now, lucky it's middle of winter here and still time to sort it out!

My coming 3 yr palomino mare has her tail taped up right out of the way. And failing all else, there is always the "hairdresser" way... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Cara! :aktion033:

You'll love it here, lots of very interesting and informative stuff :bgrin

How's that wee filly of yours?

Brigid

Hey Cara! :aktion033:

You'll love it here, lots of very interesting and informative stuff :bgrin

How's that wee filly of yours?

Brigid
She's good, I am able to pick her up in a couple of weeks, cant wait!!!

I recently told a couple, that are recent to mini's as well, about the forum so I am hoping they will find it as imformative as I have.
default_smile.png

Back