Taming the unruly TAIL...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackwater Farm

Reaction score
I was reading some great advice on another thread about unruly forelocks and I had some questions about taming the unruly tail for a show. Thought it might be better just to put it in another thread! My gelding has a to die for tail! It's long and thick and grows really well. I had to trim it up to his fetlock area for shows as it was dragging the ground from growing over the winter (I always keep it put up) and I think that can be a bit dangerous. My question is about thinning the top of his tail though. From the very top to about 3/4 the way down his dock the hair is really thick and bushy. Whats the best way to thin it for a neat look in the showring? I can pull a mane quite well, but I always left the tails alone so I could braid them...never really learned how to thin the tail...thanks in advance!!!

Ive never thinned the base of the tail, we just put a little product (gel, moisture max, hair wax etc.) at the top, and then wrap it with vetrap about 6" down. If he has a white tail, be sure to only use white vet rap. Made the mistake of using red once in a pinch, and had a pink tail..

I tried that at our last show. I wet it down real well, not soaking though, put gel in it and ran my hand down it several times to straighten it, then gently wrapped it. I left it on there until just before we went in to our class. For the first two classes it was fine but then it started to bush right out again!!! I will have to take a picture tomorrow and show you guys! I have never seen a tail SOOO thick in my life! Makes it very difficult to wash and I condition it really well. I think I will need to thin it even if its just a bit and still will have to gel and wrap it! I know he would make some western pleasure riders very jealous!!! I have always seemed to have a knack for growing tails but this is rediculous!

I have always found the best thing to do with a tail is leave it a lone. Over brushing etc causes a lot of damage. I have never even wanted to thin a tail so I guess I cannot picture what you are saying?

I can picture it but I'm not sure how to fix it. Sorry!
default_biggrin.png
Kody's tail has a tendency towards that but never quite crosses the line, thank God.
default_rolleyes.gif

Leia

Edited to add: Hmm. Now that I think about it, I would at least say only thin it from the bottom, never the top layers, and do NOT try clipping from the dock in the direction of the hairs. I tried that once following guidelines in an all-breeds grooming book and it looked awful on a mini.
default_laugh.png
Maybe if I'd also been going to bang the tail at the hocks, but not when full and natural!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thick tails are a plus! I don't thin them at all, but I do slick the top down a little bit with hair gel before the class.

I usually bang really thick tails at fetlock level. If you don't like the "straight across" look you can use a razor blade to get a little more natural edge. Cutting it like this will actually make the tail look even fuller
default_smile.png

Trimming up to the fetlock will allow the horse to back up easily in most situations without stepping on their tails.

You are fortunate to have a horse with a thick tail!

Andrea

I believe she's talking about having a bushy, thick dock area, not the actual tail itself.
default_unsure.png

Leia

Yeah it's the dock area. The rest of the tail is just as thick and I am very thankful for it! It bushes out and will sometimes cover up the whole back of his behind! I have tried putting gel in it and wrapping it while at shows and its no use, it never lasts. Here's a picture of it. I had just washed and heavily conditioned it and let it dry. We have another show next weekend so I gave him a bath and a clip today!

BBTail.jpg

I used to have this same problem with Max's tail. It was huge! As you said, made the paint and Qtr horse people jealous. They always asked if it was fake! LOL!

At the top, I would do as others have said and put gel on it and wrap it loosely for at least an hour before the class. I would take the wrap off just before the halter classes and not touch it. It would last just long enough for halter and then got puffy for the rest of the day. I didn't care if it was big for the other classes, so I quit trying to fight it.
default_wacko.png

Latest posts

Back