Tag...your it...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWA

Reaction score
{{{Heavy sighs}}}
default_sad.png

I remember several years ago, we were in a parade with our minis and a I remember hearing a little girl so excited to see our horses, it must have been her very first time to see a horse so small, because she hollered to her mom in almost disbelief of them in saying "Look Mom, are they real?" She said it so loudly that it made me stop and smile and proudly proclaim their legitimacy to her, LOL. I just thought her excitement over them was just so adorable, and even when I let her pet them, she still could not believe they were "real". Her mom said she must have thought they were "Disney animated parade animals" or something. I can't help but feel those robotic "Butterscotch Ponies" at Wal-Mart might somehow be partly to blame for a child's confusion in that regard.
default_wacko.png

Although, her reaction was rather "cute" at the time, it still resonates with me to this day, in that, ever since, I am finding that it's not just children who seem to be of the assumption that minis are not (or don't "count as") a "real" horse.

Well, then fast forward to a couple months ago, when a nearby neighbor's horse was colicy. At the time I just shrugged off the comments, because the horse's condition was my primary concern at the time. But, when her horse was colicing, she came to me for help. I obliged whole heartedly, and thankfully the poor guy pulled through. I wrote about this incident on another mini group at the time, so won't go into the whole ordeal again here, LOL. My point of bringing it up though, was because of her initial comment when she came to me for help. "I know you just have minis...but I don't know anyone else with a "real horse".
default_new_shocked.gif
He was her first horse, and didn't know that he was in full blown colic.

She was initially rather worried that because I "only had minis", that I would not have the first inclination as to what was happening to her "Real" horse, and wouldn't know how to help. But, she figured she'd ask anyhow, as she couldn't afford to have a vet out. (Thankfully, she gave him away a couple weeks later, and he's doing much better now...whew!!!)

Anyways...

Then, earlier tonight, was just...well, just suffice it to say... I was about fit to be tied.
default_wacko.png
{{{Heavy sighs}}}
default_sad.png

Hubby and I went out for dinner, and was waiting for our turn for seating. While in the waiting area, we were having a really nice conversation with another couple about horses. We talked about our "old days" several years ago, when we used to go to speed shows, doing barrels and what not. Also, when our son used to do barrels & poles, etc. Then we started talking about our minis and all the stuff we do "nowadays". They were really interested in hearing all the fun we've had with our minis over our latter years with horses. The harness racing, trail drives, mini shows back when our son was little, and just recently attempting to get back into showing again, just this year. Just in general talking about our many years with horses, as were the other couple too...who was now into "welsh ponies", having come from many years with "biggies" too.

Anyways, well into our conversations, along comes this other couple... the girl heard us "talking horses" and wanted to join in, and we were all like, yeah, the more the merrier, we were all just having a grand time while still waiting for our turn for a table. Then, this new girl went and done it... while in the middle of talking about our horses, the topic went into their general care, what we feed, why we feed what we do, and how well we are impressed with the results of our choices, etc., along with our other care practices, such as worming and ferrier schedules, and what all vetting we do ourselves and what we leave to our vet, etc. and THEN she ask "THE QUESTION", she asked what kind of horses do we have now, and we proudly told her we no longer have Quarter Horses and Thoroughbreds, we now have "Minis".

WHOA NELLIE!!!! She just got this weird look over her face and ACTUALLY SAID IT.... "Oh, those aren't "REAL" Horses, minis are just fairyland ponies". Then, she went right into telling us we had NO IDEA what we were talking about, and like HOW COULD WE, when we just have "minis". It's not like they are REAL horses, after all, according to her, minis are just little fairland ponies. Anything we do with our minis could not possibly be applied to the equivalentcy of "REAL HORSES".

default_new_shocked.gif
Oh man....

Instantly, I was all like... "OH NO SHE DIT-ANT"!!!!
default_xbud.gif

I held my tongue though, don't ask me how, cause I have NO IDEA...
default_wacko.png

Anyways, she was just carrying on now, like she was now just THE AUTHORITY on how to care for a REAL HORSE, and I'm sitting there like.... uh... WHAT JUST HAPPENED HERE????

Did she just slap me silly and PUT me in MY dinky little "pony fairland" place???

All of a sudden, is this girl REALLY of the impression now that anything further we could have to offer in this conversation was just SO IRRELAVANT that it need no longer be said... in HER presence????

Round about then...we were called for our table. {{{Heavy sighs}}}
default_sad.png

Lee was quick to scoot me along, before I could really react beyond my "SLAP ME SILLY" stupor!!!

Well, I was so steamed by her "Equine Bigotry" (sorry, I just can't think of any other way to term this), that I could hardly enjoy my dinner. Thankfully, the little bit of time over the meal, did help at least a little in getting myself recomposed...somewhat. By the time we were ready to leave, I was able to think a little clearer on what to say to her, as we passed by her table on our way out. And...YES, I was DEFINATELY going to make sure we passed by her table on our way out, even if she was clear over on the other side of the restaurant!

Anyways, I just handed her one of my new "farm business cards", and told her that it was "real", and on the back of it, I wrote the URL for Lil Beginnings, and invited her to join us "here" anytime she might like to learn more about just how REAL our little pony fairy land was.

I figure it best to just "TAG TEAM" with any of ya'll here, to better inform this girl, (should she desire to ever find out for herself FOR REAL) of all the REAL HORSE CARE that comes with owning minis, especially those of you who have extensive "FOR REAL HORSE" experience in breeding and foaling, color genetics, genetic studies of dwarfism, building fences, barns, pasture maintence, veterinary and ferrier care, training, conditioning and everything else that comes with owning REAL MINIATURE HORSES!!!!

Dagnabbit!!!!
default_wacko.png

(PS...please forgive any misspellings of this "vent fest"...I hope it doesn't reflect on my "real horse owning" intelligence...or lack of.)
default_wacko.png

Anyways...thanks for letting me "vent"...
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't have the energy to argue with those that deny that they are "real" anymore, but isn't it amazing how they'll run to us in an emergency? I know I've been there many times for the "big horse" people to save the day.

Nope, they're not real are they? Then why do I still have to shovel poo? HUH?

OM

I get the same response from a few of the patients at the Chiropractic practice where I work.

One guy..whom I only have any patience for because he has had a stroke..but he was a bit of a jerk before that...

Anyway...

He was yelling at me in the lobby that my mini was a pony and that there is no such thing as minis...he knows this because he has been around horses all of his 50+ years!!!!!!

Thankfully, his wife steered him out the door...as he made me a bit nervous with his angry outburst.

Another patient is a horse trainer and thinks that minis are a waste of time! hmph!

I just smile and nod silently at these people and try not to discuss the topisc with thme again!

Oh well....ignorance is bliss!

I just usually say something like, "yes, unfortunately that is how alot of people percieve them and due to that they don't realize that they do need the very same care and discipline a big horse needs. It ends up leading to very unruly little equines with poor manors, lack of vet and ferrier care and sometimes long term heath issues. Unfortunately, just like with the big horses, typicially you get what you pay for. What is really interesting is most of thepeople that are curious about my horses are in the 40-60 age group and from large horse backgrounds, but can't physicially handle the work load or riding anymore. "

They either zip it or get the point.

Carolyn

I just laugh and ask them how much they spent at the feed store last time.
default_wink.png

Well, you know, some people don't consider any canine under 60 pounds a "real" dog, either! I can see that some people might consider minis just some sort of "toy," but when you get down to it, most horses these days are things that people play with. I mean, other than the Amish and some ranchers, most people with horses don't use them to do the sort of work that supports them. But I agree, that degree of big-otry is pretty hard to take. Ah, well, they don't know what they're missing out on, do they?
default_wub.png

Hi Ellen, her "beef" with us wasn't over whether or not our minis were "horses" or "ponies", but actually over whether or not their very existence was "significant" enough to be entitled to called LIVING, BREATHING CREATURES that one would need any actual provisions any sort of REAL CARE for.
default_wacko.png

OM, I should have said that too, LOL. Yes, they are REAL and do make PLENTY of poopies to scoop, LOL!
default_laugh.png

What is really interesting is most of thepeople that are curious about my horses are in the 40-60 age group and from large horse backgrounds, but can't physicially handle the work load or riding anymore. "
Carolyn, you make a very wise point, and is "usually" same as my typical response to folks who tend to give me their "puzzled" look when I try to explain our reasons for "why minis", LOL. The first couple we were originally speaking with totally "got it", too, as they too were among our same point in life in their reasons for "downsizing" their equine breed of interest in their welsh ponies. This new couple though, SHEESH...she was one that TOTALLY just did not "get it", nor was she gonna "zip it", and the sheer gall of her putting me in my pointless little insignificant place, by "her standard" of worthiness, just crawled right up my tree!
default_frusty.gif
It wasn't really her lack of ability to "get it" that didn't set with me. It was more so, her "way" of going about to make me feel so far beneath her that made me about fit to be tied.
default_wacko.png

I tend to have at least some patience with folks in general who don't get it, as was the case with our neighbor. She at least did learn that by result of that day she came to me for help, that "golly gee, even minis need REAL horse care". This lady last night though.... JIMINY CRICKETS!!! She just totally did not "get it". There was no reaching her AT ALL.
default_wacko.png
Which is why I just resorted to pointing her to "here".

It'll be interesting to see if she ever does take a peek here anytime soon.
default_wink.png
One can only hope.
default_unsure.png

I just laugh and ask them how much they spent at the feed store last time.
default_wink.png
LOL, I'll have to remember that one next time.
default_wink.png

Bunny, sad but true. I even told her that sadly she just doesn't realize all she's truly missing out on. Hopefully, she'll come here and eventually find it within herself to "see".
default_wub.png

default_laugh.png
The majority of my herd are the smaller ones -- so I have had a whole lot of interesting comments and sincere questions. Most are sincerely interested.

BUT -- for "those" big horse die hards, who are not forward thinking (when they can't handle 1000#) or just feel they need to loathe the minis (jealousy, quite often -- esp if they were just beaten in the halter ring by one!!!!!!
default_laugh.png
) I have learned to tell them to buy stock in Duracell !! As thousands of mini owners must be buying these batteries!!!!!!!!
default_wacko.png

It gives them something to think about
default_laugh.png

I have learned to tell them to buy stock in Duracell !! As thousands of mini owners must be buying these batteries!!!!!!!!
default_wacko.png

It gives them something to think about
default_laugh.png
default_new_rofl.gif
Now, that IS a cute one.
default_yes.gif
default_laugh.png

Remember the old addage... "Minis are like Lays potato chips, you can't have just one"?

I just thought of another, LOL...

Minis, like M&M's, they come in many pretty colors...but unlike the M&M's "people"... minis, they Do exist.
default_wub.png

default_unsure.png
Or least I'm meaning to say something to that effect...
default_laugh.png
default_wub.png

I find it sad when anyone (particularly good trainers) don't give these minis the respect they're do. One day when those people have bad backs that won't take being thrown or jerked around or bad hips and knees that won't allow the control of a riding horse, maybe they'll see the value of the minis. Until that day when that the "light bulb" turns on in their heads, we just have to PITY them for what they are missing!

I was a big horse owner a good portion of my adult life. I even bred and showed Morgans For 10 years. But as I got older, I realized the ground is getting harder and I am just not strong enough to fight with lead breaking the babies any more.BUT, I stll love horses and want to be involved with them, thus Mini's became my horse of choice.

I used to get that all the time, and sometimes I think my neighbors still think that.

That said of my 3 "real" horses here(the big ones), one was being starved, the other was underweight but I think had good intentions and the other we were just totally lied to about her. So I guess my "real" horses didnt have "real" horse people.

I don't think I would have been so nice to her.....

Everyone I talk to are always intrigued by my minis, and find them awefully cute
default_smile.png
Some have said they have no use for minis, but they always couple it with how cute they think they are... No use, that's just lame, but whatever
default_smile.png
They just don't know what they're missing!
default_smile.png

Jessi

Yea I get it all the time with my husbands daughter (my stepdaughter) she KNOWS it all and b/c I have mini's I KNOW nothing..... Sometimes it gets real irritating. She's breaking one of her horses to drive and I was trying to give her some advice as I DO have a driving mini but, she didn't want to hear it cause after all he's JUSSSSST a mini and HER'S is a HORSE...... So ok, go out there and get dumped, I tried to tell you.... TJ

It's nice that the market around here for miniature horses is about 5 times better than it is for the saddle horse.

Cuts down on a lot of "idle chit chat" about how great owning a saddle horse is.

Like the answer to "what do you do with your horses?" is "if I have to sell one I can get 5 times what you could get for yours" and if they continue"yeh but you can't ride them can you?" ...."no but I can go cross country in a cart and when I arrive I am walking a little better than the guy that rode theirs"
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

I am just kidding, I never say things like that to those who ask"what do you do with those little horses?", I just tell them that we like to have them pulling a cart and we like to take them to shows, and fairs, and nursing home visits, and have 4 H clubs so young people who will likely never live on a farm get a chance to handle horses safely.

I tell people they are lots of fun, most are easy to handle and since I have owned little horses I have never been lonely.

Oh Tanya...I so love reading your "vents"!! You should write an editorial in a newspaper or magazine...lol.... You made me feel as tho I was right there in the conversation and I pictured it all very well along with your frustration and shock. I have to say the way you told the story I had my few giggles too!
default_laugh.png

I can't say that I've had anyone quite that opinionated come and chat with me about my little guys, but I have gotten the regular "what do you do with them"......"do you ride them"........"I've heard they're real expensive"....
default_wacko.png
But when just the other day I was chatting with a big horse owner.....as we compared notes on feed and hay at the feed store, I don't think I have to tell you who walked out with a "cat that ate the canary" grin on her face.......
default_laugh.png
default_risa8.gif

Bunnylady said:
But I agree, that degree of big-otry is pretty hard to take.
Big-otry. Oh my God, that's PERFECT!!! You have just coined a new term for me. And possibly a magazine article. Ohhhh Lord.
default_aktion033.gif

Leia

How very frustrating! Only ignorant people don't believe minis are "real" horses. What do they think- that we stick batteries up their -fill in the blank- and away they go...?

Unfortunately I get the same thing at the farm that I board at. Everyone has these big QH and TBs and I have a little 33" stud. They laughed at me and thought that it was cute that I treated him like a "real" horse. But guess who they come to when they can't handle their "real" horses. That's right, ME! They are starting to see that I'm not so crazy and that minis are just as much fun as the biggies.

Heather

Latest posts

Back