Symptoms of an ulcer?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSR's_Judy

Reaction score
I have a 10-month filly; I have had the vet check her three times over the last six months. She puts weight on then she starts losing weight. I have her on brome hay and Omelene 300 (which she picks at and eats really slow and sometimes she does not eat it at all). I had the vet out Monday again for vaccinations and she is starting to lose weight again. She checks her teeth and he teeth where okay, but I have been reading some postings about ulcers. I asked the vet but she said she did not think so because she is back and forth on gaining weight and losing weight. And just change her feed to strategy, I have done this more than once and it still does not help her eat.

So my question, what are the symptoms of an ulcer?

Do you think that what I am describing sounds like she could possibly have an ulcer?

Would it hurt if I started her on something like Gastroguard?

I would appreciate any opinions, because I just hate changing her feed back and forth all the time, I like my vet but she is more of a cattle vet than an equine vet.

I just afraid Windy will start losing weight and not stop.

Do you think that what I am describing sounds like she could possibly have an ulcer?

Would it hurt if I started her on something like Gastroguard?
It does sound like she could very possibly have ulcers. The best way to know for sure is to have a vet "scope" her stomach, but if your vet is more of a cow vet, she may not have the equipment to do this.

Gastrogard is very expensive but shouldn't hurt at all to try it and see if it helps your filly (ask your vet for sure; in fact you will need a prescription to get it, or buy it from your vet anyway). Also, I've read many times that alfalfa hay helps with ulcers, something about it absorbing stomach acid or something, so maybe you can see if you can find some to start giving her. Even alfalfa hay cubes, soaked. Also, I would consider trying switching to Purina Equine Junior feed, since your filly is so young; it is balanced expressly for young horses, and my babies all love it (though yours may not love anything until her tummy starts feeling better if she does indeed have ulcers.) Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Thank you magic, I will get some of the alfalfa hay, is there anything else that I could buy at a feed or farm store that could help her?

There are several over the counter products you could try, but honestly - if I were you, I would try to get a second opinion from an equine vet. I am having one of my horses' scoped tomorrow and have never had this done - this is a first for me, but the vet who is scoping is an equine vet.

Best wishes,

Liz R.

[SIZE=14pt]Safegard or panacur wormer has a stomach coating effect, Other signs of ulcers in young horses is dipping their hay in their water before eating, yawning, laying on their backs in an effort to relieve stomach pain. Zantac ( Ranitadine) is an over the counter people product that can help. Sometimes putting them on a complete feed with no added hay can help. That happened with one of ours and switching her to the complete feed no hay stopped the pain.[/SIZE]

Lyn

There are other "stomach buffering" products out there, but none are proven to cure ulcers, so if she really does have ulcers, she needs the Gastrogard to heal them. After a full treatment of Gastrogard (which is usually given for a month) then there are other things that she could have to help prevent ulcers, but it can be bad to keep a horse on them too; some have aluminum in them which can be poisonous over a period of time, and also, stomach acid serves a purpose so it can't be good to keep it at a minimum at all times either.

Does she have a buddy to keep her company?

If I'm not mistaken isn't gastroguard and prilosec, otc drug..the same? If its not can you explain what is the differance is if anyone knows. WSR's_Judy, I would really find a vet and have her tummy scoped, to be sure. Corinne

it was recommended to me from a member of the US equestrian team to put my ulcer ridden gelding on Papya pills. YOu can get them at a health food store or whatnot. I bought them after doing research about them..just never did get him on them..LOL BUT i've been using them when i have indegestion and they WORK! for a mini id just give them the dose for a human or twice that. i think Lee told me to give my big horse 20 pills and that isa 17hh TB gelding.

We do not usually scope ours, it is much cheaper (told this by my vet) if we start on a tube or two of Gastroguard first, you can see a BIG difference in them within a day or two if it is ulcers. Much cheaper for a tube or two of Gastroguard then it is to scope, also alot less stressful on the horses.

It somewhat sounds like ulcers. My filly had it and she would not eat, was also on Omelane 300, and she wouldn't nurse. Put her on ulcer medicine and a couple of hours later you couldn't catch her. Before she was so lethargic. Besides the not eating part what else does she do?

Also a couple years back I had a filly also on Omelane 300 and she wouldn't eat very well. But other than that she acted just fine. Vet told me to lower her protein amount so got her the 200 and she started eating it. Just a 2% is all it took. So maybe she just doesn't like the high protein?

You can buy Ulcerguard without a prescription and it is exactly the same as Gastroguard...same company ...one with prescription one without..both are omeprazole..both cost within a dollar of each other.

Sounds very much like it could be ulcers to me. Research done in the last few years (on big horses) has shown that a much larger percentage of horses suffer with ulcers than we knew. The percentage of thoroughbreds on the track they tested was way over 90%.

I've never scoped mine either - we do a process of elimination and treat symptomatically. If it is ulcers, the meds have a pretty fast effect on them. Gastroguard is expensive (close to $40 a tube now) but with minis of course it's not so bad. If I don't have it on hand I usually start with Ranitidine or some thing similar from the drug store. If it helps, I figure I'm on the right track and order Gastroguard. It's very frustrating to watch an ulcer horse. They seem to want to eat, but won't.

Jan

Thanks JMS I will get some of the 200 and switch her. I also will see if I can call another vet to look at her.

I would really like to get a vet that works with horses the same or more than cattle.

Magic, she does have a buddy, his name is Moe he is a month young and he watches out for her.

When she is doing good she gains weight and looks nice, see is the picture in my avatar.

But when I see her getting lethargic, then I know she will start not eating good again.

I did get her some alfalfa/orchard grass hay (That is all we have in our area). And she was eating it good tonight.

Thank every one so much for their input, I will let you know what the vet says.

Judy

You might ask the vet about running some blood work on her. We had a gelding who went off feed a couple of years ago and had some other issues which probably stressed him enough to cause ulcers too. He wasn't off again on again like yours, but still something to consider.

Jan

Latest posts

Back