Suzie had a gorgeous little colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like Finn is doing great!

And yes, Penny needs her own thread
default_wink.png

yeah sorry everyone I didn't get the thread done last night as I went out after church and got back late hehe
default_rolleyes.gif
will do it when I go home at lunch, unless the farrier comes while I'm at lunch...
default_wacko.png

Diane I will try take some pics later today, I will take a pic of our Murray Grey Stud bull that we bred.... he could do with a little more condition at the moment but you should see the neck on this fellow!!! the black angus cow next due to calve is in the same paddock as him so will take pics of the both of them, and hopefully her little calf, we were sure she was gonna go last night, haven't checked on her this morning yet but will prob check on them this arvo... there is no young heifers due to calve at the moment which is good...

so um sorry should I get Finn's feet done in the stable or out in the paddock??
default_unsure.png
just wondering which area would be best??

Thanks

another pic of Finn
default_wub.png
I just love him so much hehe,

him meeting Penny and Smarite, through the fence of course, and yes he is in the orginal (not safe ) paddock but I only let Suzie and Finn in there to have some of the grass while I am doing up there feeds, and usually Suzie puts herself to bed anyway
default_biggrin.png

finn meets Penny and Smartie.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you had their feet done yet? how did it go? If not I would have them done in the field as long as there is a good flat surface for the farrier to see their feet properly.
saludando.gif

haha NO! our farriers here down under are as unreliable as farriers all over the world
default_no.gif
and now its raining here and is meant to be raining for the rest of the week!!!
closedeyes.gif
So frustrating!! I wouldn't mind if it was just a trim of the ponies feet, but Finn REALLY needs his done!!!
default_crybaby.gif

its raining and a bit stormy at the moment, so I have left Suzie and Finn in the stable... if it gets a little better later I might let them out into the stable paddock just so they can come in if it does get bad again,

Penny was most annoyed with me for putting a rain rug on her hehe, it won't be too much longer that I will put one on her even when its raining but as today, is looking quite iffy I put one on her, just to make sure...

I'm going to ring the Farrier now and find out what happened!!!
default_new_argue.gif
LOL

I rang the vet, apparantly he got called into the vets to do their horses, and when he does he has to drop everything else...
default_rolleyes.gif
of course!

so he is going to try come out this arvo as long as it isn't pouring with rain...
default_wink.png

well it was overcast all morning but no rain, so I let Suzie and Finn out at lunch time, and of course as soon as I came back down to work it poured down with rain!!!
default_no.gif
it got really cold, so put the poor Suzie and her baby back to bed, Finn had fun out in the rain, but was definitley glad to be dry and in his comfy stable lol poor baby boy!

of course Suzie doesn't care
default_rolleyes.gif

You are welcome, someone on MS posted on FF's thread as she couldn't call. He was getting upset poor baby
no.gif

You are starting to find out what it means to have kids
new_rofl.gif

LOL I was about to bring the camera up for the night on my laptop when you rang, but I couldn't see his head on the camera anyway... though I could see that he didn't have his rug on silly little man! well the farrier didn't come to the party AGAIN! of course it POURED all afternoon long!
default_wacko.png
poor Finn! I don't want him to go much longer without getting his feet done!
default_no.gif

also this weekend I'm going to try get Dad to bring up some shavings and I will change their bedding over to shavings... straw is just so expensive whenI can be using the shavings and not having to pay anything...
default_yes.gif

their bedding needs changing now anyway...
default_biggrin.png

went home to lunch today and I thought I would spend some time with Suzie and Finn in the stable
default_wub.png
I took some brushes and his halter JUST IN CASE and sat on the ground, of course immediatley Finn came wandering over for scratches... so I obliged and gave him the scratches that he wanted, he really is so good, lets me scratch his face, his ears, his legs, I can play with his little mouth, checking his baby teeth.... this continued probably 10 min and I decided to try the halter
default_rolleyes.gif
I kept on scratching as I slipped the halter over his tiny neck, just the neck strap... I then figured out that it was too big
default_frusty.gif
LOL so there was no hope in me getting it over his nose and strapping it up (it was classed as a small mini foal halter) NO still to big will order a new one. but he was so good, let me put it behind his ears, and then over his little muzzle, I just held it tight for a few seconds while giving him scratches then took it off!! SO CLEVER my baby boy!!
default_aktion033.gif

so then as praise I HAD to give him more scratches, so I decided to see how he would go with me picking up his legs,... scratched down one leg... down to his fetlock lightly gave pressure while clicking and up lifted his little leg, immediatley let go and gave him LOTS of praise and scratches, went to do the other front leg, exact same thing!! lots of praise and scratches, did both front legs twice and he hangled it brilliantly... will try back legs next time.

after that I just gave him scratches while he investigate my legs hehe he then stood beside me then lay down right next to me with his head against my leg, did some little rolls while I scratched him, then lay down while I continued the scratching, him trying to groom my leg hehe... after 5 minutes he had stopped I looked down his eyes were closed... he had fallen asleep!!!!
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png

so I just massaged his little tummy and his legs, even playing with his little hooves (they are so rubbery LOL) all the time him sleeping away
default_laugh.png
default_517.gif

then all the sudden he picked his head up and looked around draped his front legs over my leg and dropped his head on to my legs
default_wub.png
then fell back asleep (he was VERY tired)

we sat like this till I had to go back down to work... of course I had to play with Suzie a bit first to the beautiful mummy!!
default_wub.png

there you go
default_smile.png
a bit of light reading for your afternoon/ morning/ night hope you enjoy!

I certainly did hehe

default_wub.png
:wub Love your story.
default_wub.png
I will be so happy when my babies get here. That is really great that Finn is so comfortable with you
default_aktion033.gif
. And Suzie too. You are such a great momma

aktion033.gif
Cassie it sounds like you are doing absolutely great with Finn, he really trusts you. I think he must have a character similar to Dipinto, he has always let me do everything to him from day 1,

"what's that mum?"

"it's called a head collar or a halter "

Where are you going to put it?"

"On your head"

"
aktion033.gif
how exciting mum"

and that was it, I could put it on and off as often as I wanted and he would stand there. Sandro thought he was a bit simple
new_rofl.gif

You have a great relationship going with little Finn Cassie - well done.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

It does make life so much easier doesn't it, and you will be able to do all sorts of things with him as time progresses simply because he trusts you.
default_yes.gif

Thankyoueveryone!! He is the best little man!! Definitely the best first foal! It doesn't matter that he doesn't have any markings because he makes up for it in personality n loveliness !!

Thinking I will definitley have to breed suzie again... Will give her a yr off so I can concentrate on finn n penny's bunny but the temperament suzie has put through to this baby is just beautiful!! He would make the best kids pony!! Lol maybe I just have to get myself a hubby's n have a kid or two then I would definitley have a real excuse to keep him lol!!!

ROFL good lord NO
HAHA Renee!!
default_biggrin.png

no nice guys around here at the moment, so don't worry LOL I'm safe hehe

Kara, I'm sure your foal will be just the same! I think me spending all that time with Suzie really helped, so the only advice I can give would be to spend as much time with Stormy as possible!
default_biggrin.png
who is she going? when is she actually due again?

I do so agree with you Cassie. My girls spend most of their year out running free (still get in my pocket whenever I go visiting though) but when they come in at night for the month before foaling, then that is their (and my) special time. Lots of love, chats and fussing - it all helps towards a friendly, unafraid foal I find.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back