stallion yelling at shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvsminis

Reaction score
Has anyone else had the problem with their little stallion yelling at shows, he whinnys really loud as soon as I walk into the waiting area with him. I have worked him at home a lot, tying up the fillies and making him stand next to them without moving. He doesn't yell then, but as soon as I get into the arena or the waiting area, he starts up. I've tried the Vicks in the nostrils, treats, etc. I think he is looking for our other horses, or maybe he is nervous, don't know! Help, any ideas?

Only thought I have is a quick yank on his lead chain and a big NO for correction. Oh, and time and more shows.

Ours do that too, especially the yearlings. Part nervousness and part being young, dumb and full of themselves! Want to make sure everyone looks at them. I agree with Sandee, some correction and time will solve that. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I would try and just get his attention on me. If he is just all full of it I would make him stand facing in front of me and if he looks off really yank that lead to make him face you. Also make him work in the waiting area by backing up, pivoting, just keep his mind busy and focous on you.

I have a three year old who does this. I cover both nostrils the instant he does it and it stifles the whinny. Of course I do not suffocate him. My hand is on his nose for maybe 2 seconds. Only long enough to put a hitch in the whinny. That only stops it once it starts though. The other methods of getting his attention are all good advise.

Correct him the second he even thinks about screaming. He can yell his head off standing in his stall but the moment you get to the holding area, he needs to be quiet. Lots of good advice. The more you haul the quieter he'll get.

Thanks for the help. I have tried correcting him by yanking on his lead, never had this much trouble with my other horses. Maybe, I'll try just putting him in the trailer and taking him places around here without the others, and keep on correcting. I'll try the putting my hand over his nostrils too to see if that helps muffle it, if he doesn't quit. Again, thanks for the help guys, have a good one!

I keep the barn halter on over the show halter until the last minute. I have one that likes to dig to china while waiting in the holding area annoying but not deafening like the whinnies. What you could try is putting his barn halter over the show halter and adding a stud chain, when he goes to act up it won't take a huge correction (like yanking his head off) just bump the chain a little (only enough to get a response) You won't have to do this forever just a couple of times and this will be old news and get him around horses as much as you can. Find an open show or some other horse event doesn't have to be just mini shows and take him just to walk around and correct him when he's not behaving. And don't forget to Praise him when he's just standing there like he should be.

Karen

My stallion starts screaming as soon as I take him off the trailer. He can get the whole show grounds going. I just put him back on the trailer and took him home.

This sounds like a good idea, thanks. Is there a certain way to put a chin chain on or do you just loop it (chain closest to chin) in the side rings of his halter?

My stallion starts screaming as soon as I take him off the trailer. He can get the whole show grounds going. I just put him back on the trailer and took him home.

Yea, mine had other horses yelling too. Who would think something so tiny could cause so much trouble.

my boys sometimes tries this but not just yells he SCREAMS. i yank his chain and growl at him and that usually works

The yelling is a symptom of a cause. I wouldn't so much worry about the yelling, he is obviously focousing on the other horses and not on you. Putting vicks on the nose, stud chains, they may work in theory but won't solve the actual problem. He needs a leader, and so far you aren't being effective. The suggestions I have gave earlier I still say get his attention on you. Make him face you if he looks off yank his head back towards you. Do some training in the warm up area as this is the area he is having more trouble with. Back him up, pivot him, do something to get his attention. Horses learn from the release of pressure not the pressure itself. Adding agents won't solve this problem. If you can get this nipped in the butt I guarantee he will have a better show as his attention is on you.

It takes less of a correction to get their attention if you have a stud chain than if you just have a halter or show halter, the reason for my suggestion. If a horse gets really stupid in a show halter they can break and that is not a good thing in the warm up/holding area.

I go through the on the left by the nose under the chin to ring by the nose on the right if the chain is really long I bring it under the head to the ring on the left by the eye, doing this prevents the halter from twisting and a long chain flopping around.

Karen

Latest posts

Back