Sophie Update, Feb. 5

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
It's a 2 1/2 hour drive, but made the trip up today to see my girl.

Just getting into her ward is a task. She is still in ICU, so have to put on 2 pair of these funny looking boots, 2 pair of gloves, and a wonderful stylish white jump suit that goes about head to toe and beyond. Taking if off was much easier.

When I first went in, I think she thought I was just another one of the people in the funny get-up. But when I sat down next to her and she smelled my face,,,,,,,,,,,she knew. She kept nibbling at my chin. So I sat and talked with her for a little over an hour and fed her hay. She has gotten somewhat use to the hand feeding part.

She has lost quite a bit of weight, but eats better every day. Is still staying hydrated on her own. For the first time, this morning they felt heat in her feet,,,,,she is doing symptoms kind of backwards.

She has funny white corrective shoes on, then bags of ice on each foot. She is getting up and down better than before, but does not want to stay up much.

Talked with just about the entire staff that has been caring for her. The heat they felt today is a concern, that tells them her rotation can still be active. Because of the heat they decided to wait a few more days for the new x-rays.

Tomorrow she will start having the rest of the testing checking for metabolic problems. They haven't done much testing the last two days as they wanted her stable for a few days before putting her though more.

In my opinion, she does seem to be more comfortable than she was last Thursday when I took her in, and they agree. But then, so much could change by tomorrow.

Talked with the Nutritionists, some very interesting stuff. Can't give you all of that as more investigating is going on and more information needed to come to an actual conclusion.

Right now Sophie is only on grass hay.

She is getting rather spoiled and she is teaching her vet assistant well. He is with her so much, when he leaves for more than about 30 minutes, she starts doing things in her stall, spilling water,,,,etc,,,,,,,,she has learned he will come in there when she messes with things. He is watching her on camera and will go back in to clean the mess. But he believes she now does it to get him back in. It never happens if he is out for only a few minutes. He made several comments on how intelligent she is,,,,,,,,I said yeah, it only took her a few days to train you. He just giggled and said,,,,,very true.

All else remains the same,,,,,,,,hoping for a good day tomorrow so she has 2 in a row. Today was better, but not as good as Saturday.

When she is home and all is normal,,,,,,,,,,,I will post from the report made by Purdue, with medication, tests names, etc.,,,,,,,,,,,maybe it will help some one else. I know I don't always give the best details, but can't recall,,,,,,so many names of tests, for ?? reason, with this medication. They do give reports, and then I can spell them as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update Carolyn. You are sounding so tired. I hope she will continue to improve, even if at a slow pace.

Sounds like she is feelling a tiny bit better. Hope this continues, good luck to you both. Thanks for the update, I've been anxious to hear

Glad to hear the news.I will keep the prayers coming your way.Sophie is a fighter and that means a lot.

Yay Carolyn, with all these tests they are sure to find out something. Hang in there. Everyone is pulling for Sophie. :aktion033: I think it's so cute the way she has the vet assistant trained !!!

Hold in there girl! Both of you girls actually :bgrin
default_wub.png
: Thats so cute how she trained her little vet assistant gotta love the horses. hehe well Wee Man catches hoolahoops if that shows his intelligance :eek:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Carolyn, Hope we continue to see improvement with Sophie. I am sure she is a bit bored so has to keep her nurse entertained if no more than tipping the bucket! What service! Just want to hug that little gal and tell her to get well fast. Take care of yourself now, Mary

:aktion033: Carolyn, Thanks for the update, glad to hear Sophie is feeling a little better, hope she continues to improve.

Yvonne :bgrin

continued prayers for sweet Sophie... i loved when you said she first thought you were just another tech until she smelled your face... i could almost hear her say "MOM"!!!
default_wub.png
:

:aktion033:

Go, Sophie!!

I'm pulling for you, girl...

Please know my thoughts are with you, Carolyn, and do remember to take care of yourself as Mona suggested. I hope she is just fine, soon.

Thank you for taking the time to update us.

Liz M.

Thanks for the update Carolyn! I was wondering how Sophie was doing. She's going to have all the staff in love with her before she gets to leave!
default_wub.png
:

That is GOOD NEWS! :aktion033:

I hope Sophie continues to improve and you finally can figure out what actually caused this.
default_unsure.png
:

Continued prayers for Sophie!
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

Like Mona Said PLEASE try to get some rest!
default_yes.gif
:

(((HUGS)))

Jeri

Glad you got to visit with her and I'm sure Sophie was too! Hang in there and hopefully the vets will get to the bottom of her problem and she'll be able to come home soon.
default_smile.png

Prayers and wishes that she continues to improve and will be home with you.

Denise

Silversong Farm

Carolyn, Keeping you both in my prayers...hoping to hear continued good news!!

Just got my morning update,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :aktion033: :bgrin :aktion033: :bgrin

She is doing soooooooooo much better,,,,,,,the vet tech that called me, was cracking up laughing the entire time describing to me all she was doing this morning. I guess she has been in all their pockets, took a clipboard and went the other direction,,,,,,,,,and tried to help them get her morning injection out of the package.

She is fiesty,,,,full of herself,,,,and has been on her feet more this morning than they have ever seen her.

Deep, deep breath,,,,,,,very good news,,,,but changes can happen and happen fast.

Oh what the hay,

SHE'S MUCH IMPROVED!!!!!!!! :aktion033: :aktion033:

I am SO glad to hear that your little girl is doing better!!! :aktion033:

Liz R.

Latest posts

Back