Small Breeders

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you breed for profit?

• Yes. It's a business, and everything is for sale...for the right price

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Yes. But we only sell selectively

Votes: 36 48.0%
  • We breed sporadically and only when we want something for ourselves

Votes: 21 28.0%

• Total voters

Matt73

Reaction score
Out of the small breeders (ie. 1-5 foals/year), who plans of keeping all or any of the foals this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our breeding program is finally where we want it.

So do not need any more keepers!

5 mares, 1 yearling filly, 1 stallion & three show geldings.

Every year before foaling season starts I say, "I'm going to sell some foals this year." But in the 10+ years I've managed the farm I've only ever let go of one weanling, and never a homebred. I have too much invested in them - both financially and emotionally - to let them go without seeing what they'll become. Of course only breeding for a couple foals a year makes keeping them easy; I've bred for a couple more this year, so maybe it'll be a first and a homebred will make its way to the sales page...but I doubt it.
default_rolleyes.gif

This foal, with Lex's pedigree and looks and Destiny's pedigree and looks...should be amazing. This one is a keeper...filly, colt, pretty...or not
default_yes.gif
This is a much anticipated member of the family
default_wub.png

Between the sheltands and the miniatures, we only breed about 6-7 a year. Every so often we look to keep certain ones, but they're usually the ones that are sired by outside stallions with the purpose to put back into the breeding program.

We are expecting one foal this year and plan on keeping it for our show string. Of course, if it is not the high quality we are anticipating (as genetics don't always work out in one's favor) then we will place it.

At this point, we only plan on having 1 - 3 foals a year and our focus will be building a solid program of horses that can win in the show ring, so the majority of our foals will be kept and promoted by us to build our reputation. We are hoping to find show homes for the few we don't keep (although great homes is the priority), and the non-show quality ones will be placed in pet homes. Luckily we've not had any trouble selling the few that we're not quite the right fit for our program and I'm hoping that will continue, allowing us to find the right homes for babies we don't have room/funds o show ourselves or for the pet-quality ones. Hopefully, with the small numbers we will be producing, we will never be in a position of "have to sell" babies we would rather promote ourselves.

I voted "Yes, I breed for profit. But we only sell selectively"; but I never make or plan to make a "profit"!
default_laugh.png
I have sold horses in the past as they were not what I was looking for, never made a profit though!

I have bred several times but have never had a foal. I will have one foal this year and will keep him. He'll be for sale for the "right price" I guess, but not anything someone is willing to pay
default_wink.png
. I plan to breed Joy in a year and depending on what she gives me, I'll likely keep that one too. Hmmm... I think I might just have to re-vote! I guess I am more of a "We breed sporadically and only when we want something for ourselves".
default_rolleyes.gif

Matt73- You must have been reading my mind - I was thinking of doing a very similar poll of small breeders! I would love to know if ANY small breeder either breaks even or makes a profit on their minis - all things considered.

We breed 1-3 mares a year and our plan is to sell all the foals. We actually wrote a business plan in 2004 when we got started, and if we had had good Luck and the market stayed the way it was then, we could at least show on paper that we could make money. Not anymore though, and not with our horrendous luck.

We have yet to sell anything, have buried most, and gave one mare away. But we haven't given up either, and having had horses for over 50 years, I am not about to go "horseless". Love these little guys and some of them are definitely NOT FOR SALE.

We've been raising, breeding, and showing miniatures for almost 15 years, and we've never made a profit!! LOL! Although we treat it as a business, our emphasis has always been quality on a small scale.

Our goal is to enjoy and allow each horse to reach their potential, be it for showing, performance, or as a loved pet. We're doing less breeding because I'm finding that it becomes more difficult emotionally to place them in the right home. Horses are a luxury that requires dedication, patience, and a heck of a lot of work and energy. Most people are not ready to make that committment. It's not a "get rich" scheme, but years of passion pursuing a goal.

We tend to breed for ourselves first. What we want to own/show/breed. We do try to sell some of the foals. I try to go through foaling season with the thought ALL are for sale, but typically we do tend to keep one or two. Last year we liked both fillies enough we kept both! However, we did get someone who wants the pinto and will meet our price... and the dam is bred back the same way. So we weighed our options and probably will sell the filly. BUT- if the deal falls through we have NO qualms keeping Spicey!
default_yes.gif

So, there are several factors for us, we don't breed to make a profit (who can??) but do try and sell some of the foals.

I sell all my foals.

My breeding herd is right where I want them and dont need any more.

I usually say I sell the colts, yet we kept two colts from last year! LOL One is hubby's, he claimed him for a future driving horse. I really like this boy, so no complaints from me ;) The other started off for sale... but I coudln't do it! So he's my little show colt now
default_smile.png
He was in one fun show last fall, and his first "real" show is Friday
default_smile.png

But anyhow, on to this year, I'm hoping for a flashy appy filly or two to keep. I start off saying they're all for sale, but knowing that I always hope for one or two to keep ;) Really, I have no idea until they're here!

I didn't breed for this year at all. But I am going to breed at least one mare for next year... and that foal will be a keeper, colt or filly. I don't care what it comes out as, as long as it's healthy. The mare is my Rowdy granddaughter, and the stallion is a son of Wardance. The mare is treasured, and I love the sire's bloodline and looks. I'd be tickled pink if it's a BAY, though! Gotta love a nice bay mini. I've always wanted a bay.

I might possibly breed one or two other mares for next year... and those foals might be keepers too. It depends on if I actually do breed them, and what the babies come out as. I'd be more likely to keep fillies, but I'm currently stallion-less. So if I got an outstanding colored colt, I'd really think about him before I offered him. That said, I have agreed to lease a well bred stallion, so next spring I'll be breeding him to my girls. He's my favorite color (roan), so I'm super excited! I plan on keeping some of his fillies.

I'm not a big breeder (5 keeper mares right now, with one for sale, and a retiree), and I don't plan on breeding everyone every year. I don't want to get over 15 horses, max. I'd prefer to stay under 10, so chances are I'll be selling some of the babies, or selling them with some driving training when they're older.

PROFIT
default_new_rofl.gif
...We were ready to sell out as my health sucks like air out of a tire but sold off 1/2 my herd over the last year and had bred for 3-4 for the last two years and so far with lost foals we got one last year and one so far this year. I only try to breed every other year on most of my mares. We raise our own hay-John does the hooves and I do the shots and wormings and only have needed the vet for health papers when I sold them. We are an hour away from a good vet. I have held on to last years filly more so because I am attached to her and I know the right person is out there for her. We are down enough on numbers around 10 mares-2 stallions and I am feeling pretty decent right now (that could change again) I really think the minis is what has helped me recoup faster. Why drive an hour away to go to rehab three times a week when I can shovel horsey poo is what I tell my Doc
default_xkngt.gif

I am happy to say we have made a profit several years. Not every year but many years. For some odd reason not many will admit to this which I find really odd. Seems like a bad word to say your farm is successful. I personally know many farms small and large that make a profit.

Like any start up business it takes 3-5 years to make a profit. It is harder when dealing with live animals for sure. One bad vet year can sink a year.

Doing as much as you can yourself helps a lot. Marketing helps a lot. Showing helps a lot.

I have also found that many treat it like a hobby not a business so those will probably always show a loss.

We keep many of ours to show and then sell or to show and add to the breeding herd. But we also sell many of our own foals.

I am happy to say we have made a profit several years. Not every year but many years. For some odd reason not many will admit to this which I find really odd. Seems like a bad word to say your farm is successful. I personally know many farms small and large that make a profit.

Like any start up business it takes 3-5 years to make a profit. It is harder when dealing with live animals for sure. One bad vet year can sink a year.

Doing as much as you can yourself helps a lot. Marketing helps a lot. Showing helps a lot.

I have also found that many treat it like a hobby not a business so those will probably always show a loss.

We keep many of ours to show and then sell or to show and add to the breeding herd. But we also sell many of our own foals.
I really like the way you look at it! I am just starting and want to make it a business, not just a Hobby. I am going to be adding to my breeding stock soon. I want more brood mares. I curently only have 1.
default_no.gif
I also want a new Stallion, but I need brood mare first.
default_wink.png
I have friend with stallions that I can breed to if I want.

I don't breed so shouldn't be reading this. But one of the 2 reasons I don't is because I know I could NEVER, EVER part with them. EVER.

They might go to a ''good home'' but how long would they stay there and then what?????

Stupid, hey?

Latest posts

Back