Silver Bay VS Liver Chestnut

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
really even with the white tail and legs? i was told by someone else chestnut SO idk his mom was bay dad was buckskin

Wings, I would call your boy silver smokey black. But he could also just be smokey black.

I'd call him silver bay, the legs are way too light to be a regular bay and his mane has the lighter color mixed in.

Marsha
Its kind of hard to see it, but here you can see his legs have darkened up, but his mane is still frosted. Mane is this color year round, so don't know if its just sunbleaching or not. His tail is black. [Now that he is a gelding, I probably won't test him for silver, unless I have money to burn and curiosity gets the better of me.]

DAkota - July 22, 2010 - pasture.jpg

I need to get new pictures. I lost many that I took this year, when my computer crashed last month, as I hadn't saved to my thumb drive in way too long.

Wings, I would call your boy silver smokey black. But he could also just be smokey black.

Thanks
default_smile.png
I'll have to test him one day just to find out for sure!

He was tested for silver and does not carry it, even though I could have swore he did with that wild mane & tail color- every horse that' I've ever seen personally that had that same shade of mane & tail were tested AA. No, it's not proven, but it is just a thought.
I'd be retesting for silver using another lab or having the lab you used rerun the test. Which lab did you use?

The vast majority of bay Thoroughbreds are AA, the vast majority of bay Arabians are AA - zygosity for Agouti does not alter the black pigment of the mane and tail. That's one the hallmarks of Agouti - the fact that it leaves the points black while changing the body color.

Here is what I think after quick look at these posts and please dont get angry with me...
default_unsure.png

Eagle- To me your mare looks like a bay. I couldnt see the Appy very good though as Im on a very small screen. I dont think I'd call her a wild bay because her black on legs seems that its pretty high up. Shse does seem to possibly have mealy/pangare modifier though. Check out second picture on this page http://www.theequine...ifiers/pangare/. Maybe or maybe not...

I agree I think Your sons pony is sorrel and very handsome fellow!
If my mare is bay I don't think it was your fault
new_rofl.gif
You have started my day with a giggle
cheekkiss.gif
Thank you.

What I wasn't sure about was her brown mane and legs, they are definitely brown and not black, I don't think she is carrying pangare either as you can see in this better pic.

This is her summer coat. (sorry about the handmade fly mask, she ripped hers so I needed something emergency whilst I ordered a new one)

hols2010003.jpg

This was during the summer she was very sick and stayed in her stable, here her mane isn't bleached

aftercolic002.jpg

It doesn't matter what colour she is i am just curious. I want to find out where in Europe I could get her tested.

Just out of curiosity what color would you call him? hes almost 8 months old im DYING to shave him but its going to be a long time before i can because we have 10* weather as is LOL

I was told bay BUT his legs are almost white or tan and i shaved them to see if they were going to come in back NOPE

SAM_0658.jpg
He hasn't lost the baby fur on his legs yet. Give him time.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Very possible! Her sire is LWO +, so might also have sabino in there as well (I don't know all his test results, so can't tell you whether he is sabino or not. I do plan to have her tested for various things, but she is a coming 3 yr old, so wasn't important to test before now (before I breed her).
If she is, could be why she has an interesting colored mane.
default_wink.png

If my mare is bay I don't think it was your fault
new_rofl.gif
You have started my day with a giggle
cheekkiss.gif
Thank you.

What I wasn't sure about was her brown mane and legs, they are definitely brown and not black, I don't think she is carrying pangare either as you can see in this better pic.

This is her summer coat. (sorry about the handmade fly mask, she ripped hers so I needed something emergency whilst I ordered a new one)

hols2010003.jpg

This was during the summer she was very sick and stayed in her stable, here her mane isn't bleached

aftercolic002.jpg

It doesn't matter what colour she is i am just curious. I want to find out where in Europe I could get her tested.
this place will get the results back to you a week after they receive them http://www.horsedna.co.uk/i

so tell me what colour you think this one is , pics clipped and unclipped

the video shows him clipped

http://www.youtube.c...u/3/WJ_UPFLXUNU

when unclipped his colour looks bay based to me but his legs are not dark , when clipped I think he looks red based ???

Ill post pics sire and dam in next post

383149_2321993764011_1074572782_32098626_746112506_n.jpg

166929_2321917162096_1074572782_32098530_969336830_n.jpg

297041_2080363163397_1074572782_31938153_1777017_n.jpg

320441_2080698571782_1074572782_31938305_7158600_n.jpg

310791_2364669990890_1074572782_32113649_1485759533_n.jpg

38466_1394214770116_1074572782_30928742_3023922_n.jpg

315972_2080694011668_1074572782_31938299_3828894_n.jpg

281309_1986486776546_1074572782_31815249_5396665_n.jpg

sire - black -carries frame and splash

and dam -snowflake appy

they both carry red

315765_2080684811438_1074572782_31938288_6416026_n.jpg

307954_2080687811513_1074572782_31938291_7931887_a.jpg

Here is one of my silver bays; Plattes Unconventional is silver bay tobiano/sabino:

Venturewebsm.JPG

This is a silver bay filly:

RevaJulyshowsm.jpg

The others are right--Aa or AA makes no difference to blackness of mane/tail/legs...

This colt is Aa (not tested but has to be Aa because his dam is black & cannot be carrying agouti. His sire is chestnut & obviously does carry agouti)

CodyJuly2011websm.jpg

but even if he were AA his mane/tail/legs would be this same black color.

The others are correct--Forever Farms' stallion pictured above has to have silver because the AA would not make his mane/tail that light color.

But nope, he's Ee AA nT nO- we think the AA accounts for the lighter black mane & tail.
There is no results there one way or the other for silver so it appears that the lab did not test for silver, even if your intention was for them to do so.

This is my silver bay mare, lab tested E/E (homozygous black). She is also A/a and n/Z (hetrozygous agouti and silver), though not tested. Her sire is solid black, and her dam is silver bay.

000%20Ginger%20Show.jpg

Melody3.JPG

Supaspot-i think your boy is a chestnut appaloosa. I have his twin, right down to the shade of red, mane and tail color, AND appy roaning! I tested mine and she turned out chestnut (silver carrier), no black, no agouti. I thought for sure she was a silver bay sometimes. That darn appy gene!

Supaspot-i think your boy is a chestnut appaloosa. I have his twin, right down to the shade of red, mane and tail color, AND appy roaning! I tested mine and she turned out chestnut (silver carrier), no black, no agouti. I thought for sure she was a silver bay sometimes. That darn appy gene!
Thankyou , this one has had me wondering for a while now , every time I decided upon a colour Id change my mind a week later

Here's a classic silver bay gelding that I own, Tibbs Sundowner HOF (9x National / Res. National Champion). I love his color, which is undeniably silver bay. He's a hoofed teddy bear
default_wub.png

SUNNY%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20109.jpg

sunny1.jpeg

Really red in winter:

Sunny,%20Bacardi%20and%20DunIT%20--%2011252005%20--%20059.jpg

I'd be retesting for silver using another lab or having the lab you used rerun the test. Which lab did you use?

The vast majority of bay Thoroughbreds are AA, the vast majority of bay Arabians are AA - zygosity for Agouti does not alter the black pigment of the mane and tail. That's one the hallmarks of Agouti - the fact that it leaves the points black while changing the body color.
He was tested twice by UC Davis- once when we did his LWO and they stated no silver, then when his sire's owner's were testing the sire for the dun zygousity, they asked would we resubmit the colt for the dun zygousity test, and UC Davis reran him again, again, no silver.

He reminds me of this colt, who is tested as a bay by UC DAvis and is a purebred Arabian, so no silver possible...

http://forums.arabianbreeders.net/topic/49790-flashy-sweet-sweepstakes-gelding-fancy/

We think his sire possbily carried sabino as well as being frame & LWO+, but neither one has been tested for sabino.

See to me that Arabian is an obvious chestnut with sabino. Your boy I would say is an obvious silver bay if it weren't for two tests saying he isn't. Then again, I am fairly certain kuusou's colt is a bay sabino with no silver or grey. So sabino could be effecting your boy. It's just that he has the 'roaning' type which gives him his off color while your boy does not. He's interesting. Especially since you can see his hocks are the silvery color and not black like they should be.

He was born very dark as far as his mane & tail...

HPIM3157.jpg

Body clipped at about 2 weeks old and folks swore he was a chestnut, but we knew that wasn't possible since his sire was AA as well...

HPIM32132.jpg

He changes from day to day, though, right now his legs are black- you can see the darker hock and top of his knee here...

HPIM4404.jpg

I don't care though, I was only ever worried about the LWO status.

Latest posts

Back