Showing Beginner - a couple questions for the seasoned out there!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
We attended our 2nd club show yesterday. Again, we were so happy to just have made it out there and back in one piece (2 hr drive for us). I took 3 of our 4 (two yearlings, one 2 yr old). It's new to them, new to me and even trailering while driving is brand new to me. So it's a success to get there! LOL!

Now that we've done 2 shows, I'm starting to wonder about some things. Mainly, would I be better off concentrating on ONE horse? Prepping 3 horses the day before a show, especially when it happens to be a work day, was tough. I don't think I did as good a job as I could, especially with the mostly white yearlng. I simply ran out of steam!

At the same time, I'm not sure any of them will be happy about being driven all that way alone. Do I work on one horse but take 2 with one just being the "buddy" for the trip, no entries into classes?

What did you do when you first started out?

My husband helps a great deal already. He cleaned out the trailer (before and after), he prepped the stall for when they were clean Friday night. He hooks/unhooks the trailer. He helped me when I did a minor bit of clipping on the yearlings. My daughter groomed the yearlings for me so I could go straight to washing them. She goes with me to the shows and handles a horse when they fall into the same class (the yearling mare class and the solild color class). So, I have help...it's just that there's still so much left to do.

Despite my misgivings, our 2 yr old placed 6th out of 7 on her first time out. Our silver bay yearling got 4th out of 11 in the solid color class. So, no blue ribbons but we didn't come home empty handed.

The yearlings went up against the same yearling we did last time and with only 3 in the class total, we placed the same 2nd and 3rd. I've been told this yearling/handler combination are working with trainers and other professionals and go to nationals with there horses. It's not surprising they come in first...that yearling is awesome and the handler, although a teenager, has more experience.

I think that of the 3, the silver bay yearling has the best chance of improvement if I were to concentrate soley on her for the next couple of shows.

I guess I'm looking for encouragement or maybe even a "slow it down silly woman, of course you should be working with one animal!"
laugh.gif

Well, for my part when I have a show on I try to take at least one day off work--the way things are here it's just not possible for me to work all week & then get 2, 3 or more horses to a show on Saturday. If it's a local fair I maybe can do it, if I'm only showing 2 horses, but if it's a sanctioned show and I'm taking 4 or 5, no way.

I do my clipping a week or so ahead of the show. Faces/heads get clipped later, a couple days before the show most likely. So, if I were showing next Saturday and had to work all week I would clip heads in the evenings this week after work. If I have to bath at home I do it the day before the show--and that isn't possible in the evening as I just have too many regular chores to get done in the evening. That's one reason why I need at least the Friday off work. If possible I prefer to bath at the show grounds--particularly when those show grounds offer warm water wash racks! In fact, I now dislike showing anywhere that doesn't offer warm water wash racks!!

As for how many you should show--I personally don't like hauling just one horse, and figure that if I am going to haul two both may as well show. I would suggest cutting back from 3 to 2 and see how that goes for you. By cutting out 1/3 of the work I think you will notice a big difference.

I started out wanting/planning to show 8 or 9 this summer at the 2 shows we were planning on attending. In reality it just isn't possible for me to condition 8 or 9 horses, and it's impossible for me, with help from my mom who is older and not able to do a lot of things, to get 8 or 9 to the show & get them all ready to go into the ring on time, especially not when we haul in the morning of the show & then have to get everyone cleaned up before a 9 am start. It just doesn't work. So, I've cut back to 5, and those are all ponies so I don't have to body clip--I just do legs and heads on the ponies. Even 5 is a lot this year when we're having rain, rain and more rain, which of course makes mud, mud and more MUD--bathing horses the day before the show is rather pointless when they have to go back into muddy paddocks--so that means doing all the bathing at the show between 7 and 9 am, and then being ready to go into the ring shortly after 9 when our first class comes up. If I were new to showing I can say for sure I would not be trying to show this many--two would be about right. But, I've been doing this for years & have our routine down pretty good.

I like to take two, three tops. Different ages and genders help. That way I concentrate on my driving gelding for his classes, then I can relax a bit before concentrating on my filly's classes, which are normally on a different day. I clip the week before. Heads are touched up the day of their classes, or the night before if they're in an early session. Baths are done the same way. If they are in an afternoon session, they get their bath in the morning after breakfast and then are blanketed and slinkied. I don't like keeping them covered in the summer- it gets SO hot down here.

Now, my friend does many more- she did three stallions on one day and two mares on another day, with some driving tossed in the middle! Plus, she shows one set of horses AMHA and another different set AMHR! WAY too much work for me!
default_new_shocked.gif

Lucy

Thanks for the input Minimor
default_smile.png

We don't have much in the way of shows around here, let alone sanctioned ones. I'm actually not too unhappy about it because the low-key club shows are likely what I need at this point. The two hour drive each way to get there is the tough part. This is just a small farm/riding club arena, so there aren't any amenities beyond level, pull through parking.
laugh.gif

This means getting up @ 5:00am to leave by 6:30am. That's why we bathe the day/night before. The ones showing go into a clean stall after that.

This was my first Saturday show and I do think I learned my lesson and will be sure to take off from work the day before from now on. And if I'm going to take two, it might be better to take the silver bay yearling and the smokey black 2 yr old as they won't be as hard to keep clean. The mostly white pinto yearling is the one that takes so much more time and effort to get and keep clean.

I only have two more shows that I'm tentatively planning to attend this season. And the next one isn't until the first of August (can't make the very next show...daughter going to camp). So, I have time to keep working at my routines and with the horses.

Considering you said your daughter helps you I would say two tops just starting out. The most important thing is do what you feel the most comfortable with and still be able to truly enjoy the show and be able to socialize with everyone. I understand you wanting to haul two horses together. I would prefer that also.

I wish you the very best at your next show and hope you come home with even more ribbons and a couple of blues. It's time you knock that other horse off his throne so to speak.
default_yes.gif

I get 5 horses ready but was getting 6 but he went to the trainers, when I first started out I did one. I don't think you have to many, I think your not preping enough "before" you go.

Why are you clipping at the show and bathing? I do that ALL before I get to the show. I Clip a week ahead and then I leave on a Fri, show Sat and Sun. I clip bridle paths and whiskers again on Thursdays along with sanding feet (before the bath) and do baths. Then I put slinky's from head to tail on them and wrap their tails up to the bone, NOT on the bone. Then I take my little portable clippers with me, JUST in case someone needs a touch up.

That should save you a lot of work there in just that alone while your at the show. Plus, if you find your placing way down in a colors class and it's NOT going to get any better then I wouldn't do it. That's just my opionion, why waste the money. If I place my horses in color and they don't hit 1-3rd within first few times I pull them cause to me that is telling me my horse is NOT a colors horse. I'd rather concentrate on a better class and put my effort there.

However, IF you have the TIME and the MONEY then go for it. Me I don't have either.

I come VERY organized. Everything has it's place. Make sure you set things up the same way every time so you can find things easily. Sometimes it helps to blacken your horses feet the night before and then touch up that morning, I know a lot of people that do that. I don't cause I end up touching them up so much I might as well do them.

Plus, I have a helper that helps me a lot. DON'T be afraid to ask for help. LET your family help. OMG'd I used to be such a control freak I HAD to do it all. Then my husband said; "HEY, I'm willing to help, let me help you." So I took him up on it and it was the best decision I ever made. He held the horses, he blackened feet, combed hair, help grain them, water them, hay them, sweep the carpet, hang show curtains, hang electrical cords, hang fans, help with hooking up the cart and harness, unpacking the trailer, packing the trailer before and afterwards, packing and unpacking hay bags, NOW my helper helps in all this and I pay her to help. SEE all that your family too can help with IF they will......

Also, just a suggestion, get your self a couple light weight carpets from Camping World or someplace, put it at your site then get a couple of lead ropes and cross tie them from one stall to the other to where they will hold your horse, put the horse in the middle and then you can get your horse ready two at a time. You can also get those loops with the snaps on the end and loop the loop through the bar at the stall to cross tie and tie the lead rope around the snap area as well. What ever works for you. It saves A LOT of effort having your horse on the dirt or someone standing there holding it and it keeps the horse from dancing everywhere when your trying to get it ready.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. TJ

We try to bring horses that can be spaced out between the show and we have a performance horse we do not show in Halter anymore. He is the only one I have who has a tendency to be obese and frankly at his age (he is in his teens) he has worked to hard over the years to worry about being halter fit. So that makes it easier he can be clipped a couple days or even more prior to the halter horses. He is a palomino so it works better for his color anyway. He does not get his face done in anything but a 10 with whiskers in a 30 no goop before he goes in the performance ring.

The most time consuming thing with him is braiding him for hunter.

It does make it easier to have horses that do different things so you are not rushing to get everyone ready for the same halter class but that said some thrive on that I have friends that bring 6-7 to a show and they are ammys lol.

A lesson I learned the hard way but the most important lesson I learned in all my years showing at local and National levels.....Bottom line as a ammy a show needs to be fun. I see to many people become bitter and angry people over horse shows and they are not professionals- they do not make their living that way so why pressure yourself like that. You need to do whatever works for you and your family to enjoy the day. You spend hard earned money on this hobby keep it fun. If bringing your 2 makes you a crazy woman on show day then bring the other for some less stressful classes.

I think only you and your family truly know what the answer is to keep showing fun for all involved including your horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
We try to bring horses that can be spaced out between the show and we have a performance horse we do not show in Halter anymore. He is the only one I have who has a tendency to be obese and frankly at his age (he is in his teens) he has worked to hard over the years to worry about being halter fit. So that makes it easier he can be clipped a couple days or even more prior to the halter horses. He is a palomino so it works better for his color anyway. He does not get his face done in anything but a 10 with whiskers in a 30 no goop before he goes in the performance ring.

The most time consuming thing with him is braiding him for hunter.

It does make it easier to have horses that do different things so you are not rushing to get everyone ready for the same halter class but that said some thrive on that I have friends that bring 6-7 to a show and they are ammys lol.

A lesson I learned the hard way but the most important lesson I learned in all my years showing at local and National levels.....Bottom line as a ammy a show needs to be fun. I see to many people become bitter and angry people over horse shows and they are not professionals- they do not make their living that way so why pressure yourself like that. You need to do whatever works for you and your family to enjoy the day. You spend hard earned money on this hobby keep it fun. If bringing your 2 makes you a crazy woman on show day then bring the other for some less stressful classes.

I think only you and your family truly know what the answer is to keep showing fun for all involved including your horses.
Lisa hit the nail on the head. This needs to be fun and if it's not fun with 3, try 2. If it still not fun, pick your favorite and go with it. The best times we had was when we were hauling 2 driving horses only. Could sleep in, only had to condition and driving conditioning is fun. Then we got more serious and started hauling a lot more. This year we are back down to 2-3. Back to fun!

I can always count on this group to give great advice
default_smile.png

Taylor Jo: Just to clarify, there's no clipping/bathing at the show for us! There's no facility to do this where we're showing. This an outdoor arena with a field surrounding it. No shade, no stalls, no frills
default_smile.png
It's a low-key, club level show. There's no way I could handle bathing/clipping same day! We get there by 8:30, the show starts at 9:00 and even with the mare classes held after the stallions and geldings, they're calling our first class as early as 10:00am!

After our first show and the rookie mistake of trying to "just clip a couple of things" the day before (ending up clipping all over because I made a mess of it), the only clipping I did on Friday afternoon was bridle paths, muzzles and for our 2 yr old, her lower legs. I was able to blend them in well enough to make it less obvious that her body clipping had been done at least 3 weeks ago, compared to her legs. Sounds like maybe two or three evenings before a show would be the better option?

I had to laugh out loud about being a control freak...that's me to a "T"! It's a personality trait that I fight in every part of my life.
laugh.gif

The carpet idea is another good one. Thanks!

And I agree...I want to ENJOY this! At my age, I've learned the hard way that is is NOT worth it to put all this effort into something and then come to dislike it. Money is a consideration, so that's another area of thought that will help me decide how I should proceed. With my girls the ages they are, we are pretty limited to the halter and color classes right now. Next year, Izzy will be 3 and able to do more (jumpers/hunters maybe and some green/ammy cart classes, we hope). I'm doing the halter and color classes as much to gain the "ring experience" as much as anything. My real goal is cart and hunter/jumper, we just have to wait until we are age appropriate
yes.gif

I'm sorry Wingnut I miss read your post. I thought OMG'd your trying to bath and clip all 3 of those horses at the show.... MERCY!!!!! Well you might want to take just two then till you get used to it and feel like you can do more, after all this is just the beginning. You DO want to enjoy it. OR if you do take all 3 don't put them in as many classes. I have mine in only 2 classes. That's how I can take so many horses. 1 amateur Halter under class and one open they're height class. Then you could do another one in color only lets say. There's NO RULE that say's you have to enter ALL the halter classes.

I figured you for a control freak by your post. I detected a "bit" of freaking out in your post, like OMG'd how am I going to do this all.... Just remember Wingnut, YOU don't have too.

YOU only have to do what you chose to do and you can only do what you can get done and if it doesn't get done so be it....

I've taken my horses in the ring completely striped BARELY had they're halters on and I'm sure there are plenty of people that can attest to that also. Also, went in the ring with wrong color boots on, different color shirt NOT to match my jacket. Begged for treats cause forgot them back at the stalls and I RAN my FAT BUTT ALL THE WAY TO THE SHOW RING then went OMG'd NOOOOOO what did I DO and people are so helpful and help you out.....

Remember it's SUPPOSE to be FUN!!!!!!! TJ

P.S. Best thing I ever did was get the carpet. Good luck.

I figured you for a control freak by your post. I detected a "bit" of freaking out in your post, like OMG'd how am I going to do this all.... Just remember Wingnut, YOU don't have too.

YOU only have to do what you chose to do and you can only do what you can get done and if it doesn't get done so be it....
Oh dear, I didn't realize I was quite that transparent
laugh.gif

We attended our 2nd club show yesterday. Again, we were so happy to just have made it out there and back in one piece (2 hr drive for us). I took 3 of our 4 (two yearlings, one 2 yr old). It's new to them, new to me and even trailering while driving is brand new to me. So it's a success to get there! LOL!

Now that we've done 2 shows, I'm starting to wonder about some things. Mainly, would I be better off concentrating on ONE horse? Prepping 3 horses the day before a show, especially when it happens to be a work day, was tough. I don't think I did as good a job as I could, especially with the mostly white yearlng. I simply ran out of steam!

At the same time, I'm not sure any of them will be happy about being driven all that way alone. Do I work on one horse but take 2 with one just being the "buddy" for the trip, no entries into classes?

What did you do when you first started out?

My husband helps a great deal already. He cleaned out the trailer (before and after), he prepped the stall for when they were clean Friday night. He hooks/unhooks the trailer. He helped me when I did a minor bit of clipping on the yearlings. My daughter groomed the yearlings for me so I could go straight to washing them. She goes with me to the shows and handles a horse when they fall into the same class (the yearling mare class and the solild color class). So, I have help...it's just that there's still so much left to do.

Despite my misgivings, our 2 yr old placed 6th out of 7 on her first time out. Our silver bay yearling got 4th out of 11 in the solid color class. So, no blue ribbons but we didn't come home empty handed.

The yearlings went up against the same yearling we did last time and with only 3 in the class total, we placed the same 2nd and 3rd. I've been told this yearling/handler combination are working with trainers and other professionals and go to nationals with there horses. It's not surprising they come in first...that yearling is awesome and the handler, although a teenager, has more experience.

I think that of the 3, the silver bay yearling has the best chance of improvement if I were to concentrate soley on her for the next couple of shows.

I guess I'm looking for encouragement or maybe even a "slow it down silly woman, of course you should be working with one animal!"
laugh.gif

Latest posts

Back