Shetlands in Canada

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoMorrow

Reaction score
To show a shetland in Canada it must be registered with the Canadian Pony Society which only allows "A' type Shetlands, they must measure under 44". We only have one performance division "Single Registered Shetland Pony" which is for "Modern Harness Ponies". At our Biggiest Show the Royal Winter Fair (Canadian Championship) we only had Four Ponies.

A few of the members (we are one) are trying to push the Pony Society into opening our rules to allow B ponies in and up the hieght to 46". The ponies in Canada are all A's on there papers but alot of false registrations have taken place because we dont have a B registry. Alot of the Canadian Shetland people are ignoring or denieing the fact that the Modern Shetland in Canada has Hackney in it. Some are even Hackneys that didn't grow so people put false Shetland papers on them.

default_wacko.png
: I have had a Shetland exhibitor tell me that American Shetland Breeders have told him that Canada is doing it right and that the ASPC should never have started the B registry, because it has made a mess out of shetlands in the USA. I AM TOTALLY LOST WITH THAT STATEMENT. The ASPC gets 500 ponies at there Championship Show and we get 4 at ours. But They say we are doing it right.
default_wacko.png
:

default_rolleyes.gif
: The People here also started the Canadian Show Pony(Canadian Version of the American Show Pony). It had one season with only three ponies exhibited to my knowledge.They think the B's should show in it because an A cant beat a B. WHY DO WE NEED ANOTHER DIVISION THAT IS GOING TO BE DESPERATE FOR ENTRIES :lol:

Anyways I thought I'd mention this to you all to let you know my struggle in trying to save my breed and I would Love your imput.

Devon Morrow

Two Morrow Stables

Edwards (Ottawa) ON

http://www.Twomorrow.homestead.com/

All I can say is WOW WOW WOW............those numbers are devastating................and truly why do they cut off at 44" when the ASPC Classic (A papered) cutoff is 46" also.

well Canadians get the impression that an "A" pony cant beat a "B" Pony and that a small pony lets say 42" cant beat a 46" Pony. So if B's are always better than A's how come so many B's are in the Modern Pleasure division and dont have the extreme motion of an Open Modern (Harness & Roadster). I also explained to some people up hear that the under & over classes are only divided up at the bigger shows in the Open Modern division unless its the Foundation Classic line classes. BUT IT'S LIKE TALKING TOO A BRICK WALL!!!

And Obviously this isnt true that "American's say Canada's Shetland industry is much better than the USA" and that the B registry was a big mistake.

The Goal of the shetland people for these changes is to get three divisions going (Modern-Modern Pleasure-Classic) The moderns would have Harness and Roadster classes but cross entry would be permitted, the Modern Pleasure and the Classics would just have one pleasure driving division aswell as Line classes for all divisions.BUT we have to get the classes we have now filled

Devon Morrow

I've never really understood the way Canada does things. There doesn't seem to be any logic behind it.

When the ASPC started the B division it wasn't a show division - just a pedigree designation to legitimize outcrossing and bring it out from behind the barn (mid 70's). The show ring division didn't start until several years later (early 80's).

DNA would eliminate a lot of the paper hanging. The ASPC is taking a step in the right direction with the new rule that any Shetland registered during its 2 or 3 year old year will have to be DNA'd.

Actually more and more shows are offering the Over and Under height classes. All the shows I go to divide the Classics along with having the Foundation classes and many are also dividing the Moderns.

Every breed comes to a point where it has to face the fact that there are different types within the breed. Quarter Horse shows offer Hunter classes, Morgans have Saddleseat classes, etc. It is more the norm than the exception to have 3 or 4 different show divisions in one registry today.

Latest posts

Back