she had it

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critter

Reaction score
my mare had a foal overnight. I was not out there. Everything looks good with the foal I am wondering IF I should be concerned that she(mom) looks like she sweated alot. also can't find any left overs. Is this normal? Am I suppose to find anything?

Babes is eating and mom seems okay. Maybe a little tired.

You should have found the afterbirth...is it still hanging from the dam, or are you saying you can't find anything at all? Sometimes the dam will eat the afterbirth. But without knowing for sure, I'd get the vet out to do a check on her. If she retained even a small piece of placenta...it can be VERY serious for the mare.

I'm not judging you, but you seem to be a bit in the dark. I'm with Dona on the afterbirth........And about the foal: Have you treated his/her umbilical cord stump with 7% iodine? Is baby nursing well? Good luck to you!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I'm in agreement with the others. There should be some afterbirth somewhere? Are there dogs/coyotes in your area that could have dragged it off? I have seen mares "try or start to eat" the afterbirth, but none that eat it all.

I would really keep an eye on the mare, if the placenta is retained she will go down quickly and will need flushing, antibiocs and ??????? Don't forget the Iodine on babies navel. Also tetnus toxoid shot. I would not worry to much about the sweating/wet, sounds like she could have had a difficult birth. Unless she is still sweating. They can also sweat some as uterus contracts back.

Good luck.................

Beth

I had a mare bury hers too. She was a new mare and made a surprise delivery. I had to dig around the stall till I found it, she did a pretty good job of buring it too. I hope everything turns out ok for you.

thanks for the info. yes, thought I had it all under control for foaling but when the times comes it is shakey.

or I am. Thought I could find after birth but haven't yet and thought she may have eaten it.

will call the vet to be sure ... thank you

foal is fine and drinking nicely.

PLEASE be sure you wash the cord in nalvascon or iodine. Especially since you werent there when she was born its so important to do it asap. We have seen a lot of foals here on the forum die from joint ill and it usually starts thru an umbiblical cord getting dirty after being born
default_smile.png

Is the vet out yet?????????

Is this mare in a stall, or is she out in a paddock where something could have drug the afterbirth away?

Congrats on the foal. the last one that foaled here behind my back on the way out to feed didn't have any leftovers either. l did strip her stall a few hours later after l moved her over to a clean one and it was all flat and dirty in the bottom just looking through the straw l couldn't find it. Outside afterbirth disappears faster then a flash around here because of the dogs and l've seen cats go after it..she should be showing signs of distress by now if she retained it a vet call is always good..

Thanks for all the advise and congrats!

Mom and babes are doing grand.

Had vet out even though I did eventually find the afterbirth. She had it buried so good!!

All is well and and I would post pics of the grand little guy but I don't know how....

Kim, (I hope this is you!)

Here's the pic of the adorable little guy!!!! (let me know if I have the wrong person here!! LOL!)

NewColt.jpg

Congratulations!!! He is ADORABLE!!!

:aktion033: Congratulations! I'm glad everything turned out well for you. The baby is adorable!

Latest posts

Back