Selling minis for companions-

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you sell a mini weanling to a peson wanting it for a companion for a big horse weanling?

• Yes, I would_

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I would not_

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I wouldnt either, had someone who did even thought I suggested not to. Week later, quarter kicked the filly and now she is blind. I personally dont need the extra vet bills.

sorry I did not even see the part about it being weanlings....babies are different...but full grown mature animals I still hold to in the right circumstances it works fine.......

of course I refuse to keep stallions together ever because that is an accident waiting to happen......yet many here on the board proclaim loudly that it is just fine
wacko.gif

Yes!

My first mini was a companion for my then 21 year old mare. Now my mare was not a huge horse, more like a LARGE pony, but my mini was only26.5 inches, AND THE MINI WAS THE ALPHA MARE !now I don't think it would be wise for an honery young full size horse that is aggressive in nature to have a wee little one around, we need to use good judgement.

My horse had lost her companion who was also her mother, after being together for 20 years, she was deperate for company and willing to accept any new friend.

Remember, horses don't nessecarily know their size, minis tend to think they are big animals.

Promise

I have never sold a horse, but my answer is "no". I keep the mini's seperated from the big horses - and even from the POA. We have a friend whose mini was killed by a full sized pony after being together for years -- kicked in the head just like the other post (not as gruesome though).

I've had horses most of my life - and for the VERY same reason I wear a helmet when riding, I chose to seperate the big and little horses. Accidents happen, and if I can lower the risk just a teeny-tiny bit, well, I just feel better. Sma ereason I wear my seat belt and and wash my hands after using the bathroom ;).

I voted "no"......

If the mini was a B sized and the full sized weanling was a smaller breed, it wouldn't be too bad AT FIRST. But eventually the size difference would matter. Once they were older and even good friends, all it would take would be one playful kick and there would be heartbreak and guilt for the owner.....AND the full sized horse companion.

I know too many people who have done that and lost their mini with a kick to the head. It happens more than many realize.

MA

I don't think they would be good companions but I guess to make a sweeping statement of no would be silly IMO??

I would not buy a great dane puppy as a companion for my Chihuahua puppy BUT as adults I think they could live very happily!!

Babies are tricky though??

Probably not a good idea??

I sold one colt last year as a companion to a full sized mare but it was after we had talked frequently and she said he'd be in his own enclosure and not out with the mare. I actually leased another horse out to go with the colt cause I don't sell them if they are going to be by themselves and true to the new owners word both boys are living a wonderful life next to, but not in with, the mare
smile.gif

Tammie

So then the people that think keeping a mini and large horse together are stupid, one must assume that you seperate your big mares and their babies? Accidents happen right? There is such a size difference so surely all yearlings and under are kept far away from any adult horses? (note the sarcasm)

Yep I would.. I keep my minis and Tennessee Walkers together. My TWH mare is 17 and my TWH gelding is 7. They love the minis and the minis actually rule the place here. I have even had mini foals born in the same field and again no problems what so ever.. but its ok I know im going to get flamed but frankly I dont care... Everyone does what they feel is right and to me this is right.

All it takes is ONE PLAYFUL KICK.....and it's over!
no.gif

My heart couldn't take it, if I lost one of my minis in this manner!

I worried about our 20 year old standard donkey being in with our "former" (as of today!) boarder's 15 hand horse. Found out yesterday that the concern wasn't necessary......Clyde (donkey) picked up a big feeder and commenced to whack the naughty horse. Gotta love those long-eared fellas!
wink.gif

Latest posts

Back