Would you buy a mini with Laminitis ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been searching for a companion mini horse. I have inquired about 2 minis selling as a pair. One has laminitis, about 10 yrs. old. Would you buy a mini with laminitis? I have no experience with this or what all the care would be. Asking for advice. Thank you

Well...you do have a lovely dry lot. If it's purely diet-induced (which realistically in a 10-year-old, it probably is) then you are probably well positioned to keep the horse healthy going forward. I would want to know more though - how long has this been going on, has the horse been chronically laminitic for long enough to cause permanent hoof damage, has the horse been tested for Cushing's, what is being fed. If the horse doesn't have anything else going on and the laminitis was grass-induced or from something acute like a feed room break-in or vaccine reaction then I'd be a lot less worried than if it's been going on for years and not managed. It can be a bit hard to find this stuff out up front though, so you could find yourself in a situation where the horse is so sensitive to sugars that you would have to only feed tested and/or soaked hay to keep them sound.

Maybe. But like Abby P said I'd want to know the cause of the laminitis, and how much damage was done. I would def not buy without a pre-purchase exam that included x-rays to see exactly what was going on with the feet and how much rotation of the bone happened, if any. Plus I'd want a really good, reliable farrier on speed dial!

I don’t know, I would be worried about the 2 new ones already being bonded together and Mint being the third wheel. I would worry about her getting picked on, but that’s just me and the crazy things I worry about 🤪🤪

Right now I wouldn’t want another “special needs” horse, I am really enjoying having easy healthy horses. Why buy a special needs one when there are so many healthy ones out there?

Kelly, Cayuse, and Abby make excellent points. Laminitis is tough. I do have a mini, Tiffany, that has laminitis. She has been x-rayed several times over the years and receives regular hoof care from our farrier who connects with our vet.

If the mini couple seems like a good fit for you, it would be a good investment to have a vet check with x rays as suggested to help determine what the future may hold.

I don’t know, I would be worried about the 2 new ones already being bonded together and Mint being the third wheel. I would worry about her getting picked on, but that’s just me and the crazy things I worry about 🤪🤪

Right now I wouldn’t want another “special needs” horse, I am really enjoying having easy healthy horses. Why buy a special needs one when there are so many healthy ones out there?
Kelly, I was wondering about the 3rd wheel as well. Mint is my main concern

Well, I would, if the mini were currently sound and I just wanted a companion. But I have dry lots for mine normally. I'm not sure getting a bonded pair as a companion is going to be great. And I also worry when someone mentions laminitis. A lot of mini people have them out in a field and when they say he had a problem on grass once, they could easily mean he has been having problems for years but one day we noticed he wouldn't get up and the vet said it was laminitis. I spend a lot of time with my guys. If they aren't being worked or shown a lot of people don't really pay that much attention and even if they are honest you might not get the truth.

It's one thing when a beloved equine acquires laminitis, quite another to take on another's problems. I say no.
[It would be extremely special circumstances that I'd consider taking on another laminitic equine. Including actually having access to a qualified farrier to help maintain the hooves, which often means 3-4 week cycle, instead of 6-8 week cycles.]

I've been searching for a companion mini horse. I have inquired about 2 minis selling as a pair. One has laminitis, about 10 yrs. old. Would you buy a mini with laminitis? I have no experience with this or what all the care would be. Asking for advice. Thank you
Managing a horse with laminitis is a huge undertaking and can be heartbreaking. Once one has had laminitis they are very prone to getting it again. Generally, laminitic horses should be on dry lot (no pasture) and be fed low carb hay. Oftentimes, they require special hoof care and trimming. Personally, I would keep shopping.

I'm I thinking right, with laminitis, it would not be good to go on walks with me?
If you can get them over the laminitis episode and not too much damage has been done, he may be able to go for walis. Exercise and proper diet are the best medicine for them. Depending on the terrain he may need at least front hoof boots to be comfortable.

Chandab hit the nail on the head with Tiffany. She is 23 and has been part of our family for 15 years. The granddaughters and the minis have lots of adventures and memories under their belts. They’re young women in college now and Tiff and I are retired, along with her 3 buddies. 😂

Our farrier also recommends walking as beneficial. Tiffany does go on walks but not as much as DD or Tinker. She also wears boots on her front feet periodically during the winter.

I have rescued minis who came to me with laminitis, it can be very easy to resolve. All you usually have to do is put her on stall rest feed her only grass hay, no alfalfa no grain give Banimine or Bute morning and night for 3-4 days then go to once a day it is a great anti-inflammatory. Also of course make sure her hooves are trimmed regularly and properly. If they’re over weight or borderline taking some off will usually help immensely. This is not a death sentence and they become sound again, you could be the one to help it, become their salvation, it’s sad VERY VERY painful for them. I purposely take the ones with these issues because I know how to cure them and I don’t want them to spend their life suffering.

I just read through these comments and I’m shocked and sad. I rescued a mini who had laminitis for several months in a lot of pain. Six weeks from the day I got her she was running through my pasture with the others. It just takes a little bit of dedication and time, you change a life. I’ve never had a rescue that laminitis affected its life after the horse was all better, never. Laminitis has no rotation of the coffin bone like founder, they get better and once proper diet, proper care, proper trims, they live a normal life and do everything all the other horses do

I just read through these comments and I’m shocked and sad. I rescued a mini who had laminitis for several months in a lot of pain. Six weeks from the day I got her she was running through my pasture with the others. It just takes a little bit of dedication and time, you change a life. I’ve never had a rescue that laminitis affected its life after the horse was all better, never. Laminitis has no rotation of the coffin bone like founder, they get better and once proper diet, proper care, proper trims, they live a normal life and do everything all the other horses do
Hi Brooke, thank you for you knowledge on laminitis. I've never dealt with it at all, so I'm a bit leery. It is good to hear the positive outcomes you have had. :) 👍

I agree with most everything you said, BUT sometimes, even with the best of care, laminitis does lead to founder and rotation no matter how dedicated you are. I went through this with my welsh pony, we caught the lami very early and did everything possible including the best vet and farrier care (shoes at $200 every 4 weeks set as x-rays determined) and he still has never come 100% sound 2 years later. Sometimes you're just not dealt a good hand.

Back