Sadie the yo-yo's Daughter: Chloe owned by Viola **Update**

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jewel ate right up to her foaling. Once she got a tight bag..that I could get liquid out of..it was a day. once she waxed it was hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
safe foaling! won't be long now! :D have you got a baby yet???
default_smile.png

Dystocia, but thanks to this forum, my palomino filly is alive and finally nursing. Gotta go back out. THANK YOU!!!!

Oh my, thank goodness all is well!! MANY CONGRATULATIONS!! Looking forward to pics and details when you have the time.

Well saved!!
default_yes.gif

Huge congrats and sounds like a great save!!! Can't wait for pictures, but you attend to baby first.

Congratulations and so happy you had a great outcome for Mom and Baby. Can't wait to see photos and a palomino!!!!!

Congrats, I am so glad you were there and able to get your little filly safely on the ground. WELL DONE
default_firstprize.gif

Hurry up with those pics
default_yes.gif

default_impatient.jpg
default_impatient.jpg
Patiently waiting for an update and pics
default_new_rofl.gif
ok so perhaps not too patiently
default_whistling.gif

oh congratulations on your little filly! wow palomino!
default_drool5.gif
default_drool5.gif

good save, so glad that the Auntie's were able to help you save your gorgeous little filly. can't wait for piccies.

Oh, I'm in tears! So thankful that we were able to help in some way and you were able to save your little one, and get her to the ground safely! How exciting - and a little palomino filly!

Can't wait for an update on your new little one!!!!! With pictures of course!

Viola!!! Congrats!!! Sounds like a job well done!!!

So we are here (im) patiently waiting for pics!!! Make sure all is well, grab a nap, then grab that camera!!

Congrats Miss Yo-Yo!! Lol

Congrats!!!! So glad you saved your filly!!! Hope you, Sadie and your filly get some rest , and can't wait to see pics! : D

YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!!! Finally!! So happy for you Viola! PICTURES and the story on the birth PLEASE!!!!!! =D

OH! So happy for the outcome for you and Sadie! Congratulations! Take your time, took me awhile to quit shaking lol.

If I had not seen her wax, I wouldn’t have thought Sadie was having the baby last night. At about 9:45 pm, she pooped 2x in five minutes, I went out there to clean it up when she pooped again. She came to me, I pet her on her forehead, and she dropped down to start pushing. She didn’t want me to leave. She would get back up and come to me, I’d pet her again, and she’d drop down again. When I told my hubby to call his aunt, he was reluctant to as he didn’t think it was time yet. He told her that we “thought” Sadie was in labor. The whole time, I was going, “Yes, she is! She’s having the baby!” He didn’t believe me until he saw the white bag. I about cried when I saw it was white. Her water had broke just prior to it and I almost panicked at seeing blood. I thought it meant red bag, but then I remembered how “blood was normal”.

I saw a white foot, but then the nose. No second foot. We had to get her up (she did NOT want up). Calvin held Sadie’s halter and I put on the gloves to feel what I could. At first, I couldn’t feel the other foot and I couldn’t push the baby’s head back in. Baby’s tongue was out and it and the muzzle were gray. I remembered that “it’s normal for the tongue to be blue with this presentation.” I pushed baby’s head back, but I couldn’t get it back far enough like I wanted. Sadie was contracting too hard. I got really lucky as I was able to feel the second foot about five inches in. I still couldn’t push baby’s head back in further, so I pulled on the second foot while Sadie was contracting. There was a relief of pressure. I backed up to let Sadie do the work, but she wouldn’t lay down. I ended up having to pull the baby down towards the ground when Sadie contracted.

Calvin was afraid it was dead, but the baby moved in the sack. Sadie spun around which broke the bag before I could (yeah!) and even broke the umbilical cord. I did what I could with the nasal passages on getting them drained, but baby was a mover and a shaker. I have no clue if I did it right. I took care of the umbilical cord with iodine and saw she was a little girl!!! I got a palomino filly!!!! For a long time after, she had foam coming from her mouth. I used a towel a couple of times to try to get any mucus in the mouth and I took the towel to her. After 3 towels, she was still shaking, so I put her blankie on. Sadie, the whole time, was helping with the baby.

I left them alone and just watched for a while. Baby was having a terrible time nursing, so I had to milk Sadie enough to get milk on the teats then guide baby to them. I ended up having to squirt the milk on baby’s lips until she figured it out. Sadie would squeal, but she never attempted to hurt the baby. She would paw really close to her and like mouth her, but she never hurt her.

By 12:15 am, baby was up, had nursed twice, and pooped 3x! She’s so strong and healthy. Her eyes are bloodshot really bad though. She can see fine, but I worry about that.

Things I have learned: One can never do enough “homework”, the stall can never be too big, and a heat lamp or pad would have been nice. If it weren’t for Little Beginnings Miniature Horse Forum, it would have turned out very bad.

DSCN6209_zpsf968963e.jpg
DSCN6218_zps0661fe47.jpg
DSCN6227_zps52b2f8fd.jpg
DSCN6264_zps7f0d621b.jpg

Latest posts

Back