Sadie the yo-yo's Daughter: Chloe owned by Viola **Update**

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we're going to call her Venus as the stars were amazing last night and I could see Mars. So, she'd be named after the planet. I was originally going to to call her Jasmine or Daphne, but they didn't fit her when I saw her. Nothing that I had thought of did. She'll be registered as Kewpie Rowdy Russian Intrigue, Kewpie Russian Arenosa Intrigue, Arenosa Rowdy Russian Intrigue, or something like that...

Oh, and I forgot I did notice that Sadie's colostrum was oily feeling, not sticky, at 4pm yesterday.

For those who have been through this, are bloodshot eyes normal after delivery and does it go away on it's own? She sees fine.

Oh Viola, I take my hat off to you - you did an amazing job in gettiing Sadie's precious little daughter safely here - well done in ALL respects, you were there for her, you kept your cool and used your brain and didn't hesitate to get in there and help (and it is not as easy as it sounds is it!)

Love the name Venus, it really suits her. Babies do sometimes have bloodshot eyes, usually caused by the very tight fit for the head through the birth canal. They should clear soon, but just keep an eye on them. Dont forget to keep Sadie on some mushy food for a few days, and back out in her paddock as soon as you are happy with both of them - oh and the wormer!

Again many congratulations and WELL DONE!!
default_firstprize.gif

Viola you did just wonderfully and we (and I know I speak for Anna and Diane) are very proud of you. We share our knowledge as this is our passion but it is upto you if you want to study. You did your homework and now you have a BEAUTIFUL healthy new baby. Sadie is lucky to have you
default_yes.gif

High Five sister
default_thumbup.gif

Her eyes will be just fine in a few days, now remember to worm mum and keep an eye on Venus's poop. I love the name by the way.
default_smile.png

Viola you did AWESOME!!! You should be very proud of yourself and Sadie!!! And want an awesome bond you and Sadie have!!! Your filly is beautiful!!!!!! Can wait to see more pics of her!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations and yes, you should be proud of yourself! Jewel was a big headed (but beautiful) overdue dystocia and had red eyes for a couple of days. She is a pretty little thing, very pretty!

I was so excited for you that I only just now read everything lol! That is EXACTLY what happened when Jewel was born. But you were prepared, educated, and it sounds like very experienced! Missy was sneaky again (her MO) and I did so many things wrong, but prayers were answered and both were okay.

Sheza little beauty, so happy for you all!

Thank you for the reminder on worming! I totally forgot and that was on my to do list!

Edit: What kind of mushy food?

Great job Viola!!! You have every right to be VERY proud of your performance under stress. Yes, it really pays to do your homework and read other people's threads too.

Viola we give wet feeds after birth as most mares empty out before so to make it easier on their tummies. Break down her daily intake into several small amounts and make it nice and sloppy with warm water. This will help prevent her getting bunged up.
default_smile.png
Mum probably wont poop for several hours but don't worry.

Having cleared out her digestive system as she foaled she will need plenty of small mushy/wet feeds to aid everything get started again - dry food can get blocked up when going through an empty system. So use her normal food and make it into smaller wet feeds for a few days.

Sorry cant remember if you have plenty of grass available, but if so then that will be brilliant for her. Suggest you lead her out, with Venus of course, for an hour or so grazing in hand today and then if all is well and the weather allows, turn her and Venus back out during the day tomorrow, just as per her normal routine. If the weather is cold but dry then a rug will be needed for Venus, if it is hot then be careful of how long they are out as babies cannot control their temperatures in the early days and can get badly over heated by the sun.

Just do exactly what you have been doing - thinking carefully - and all will be well.
default_yes.gif

Congratulations She is beautiful! The name is perfect. I agree this forum is great!

Oh my oh my what a pretty one!! Love the name....congratulations!! I bet I know what you'll be doing all day!! Not to steal your thread but Thank you to the aunties for reminding you about the wormer....I forgot and need to go do that!! Again Congratulations. I know I havent been on here forever and have missed lots of foals but I do believe this forum has is the best thing thats happened to LB. hugs to all!!

WONDERFUL news!!! So interesting too...our mare Lady gave birth last night, had one foot folded back and was born with bloodshot eyes as well. Spooky! Your little girl is just a lovely baby. Good job!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS ON A JOB BEAUTIFULLY DONE!!!! You should be SOOOOOOO PROUD of yourself, getting that baby safely on the ground, and you just did everything right!!!!

The bloodshot eyes should clear up by themselves -- sometimes baby is under such pressure that the eyes are red for a few days. But that will clear!

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!!! FABULOUS JOB -- AND GORGEOUS PICTURES!!!!

Congratulations!!! Knowing how stressful it is, I am so so so happy you have a beautiful filly on the ground. Our babies are 1 week apart! Great work!!

Val

Baby is doing SOOO well. So far, she's totally healthy and wonderfully curious. She comes to me to know what I'm all about. Sadie was eating right before having the baby and even went back to eating before Venus even nursed. What can I say, Sadie loves her food! Sadie's pooped 3x already today and is in good spirits. She allows me in with baby but pins her ears when someone else gets too close to the stall. She did allow Caleb (my 3 yo) to pet her, but I haven't let him near Venus. I'm trying to prevent Sadie from being overprotective. When Sadie's eating, she lets me pet Venus all I want, but I've been keeping it down to like 2 minutes at a time just in case. Besides, I want Sadie to know she can trust me still.
default_laugh.png

I'm in love! Even my hubby was all "baby-fied" last night. He's been busy replacing the fence out in their pen today. Venus is a big girl! She's like 21-22" tall!!! That's an educated guess...

I was able to measure from the middle of the front knee to the cornet band and I got a measurement of 8". That would put her at a mature height of 33-34", right?

Yep she is going to be a tall girl
default_smile.png
how wonderful to read that your hubby is geared into action preparing their play pen. You are wise to keep your son at a safe distance for a while, I am sure Sadie will be fine as long as you allow her a week or two of quiet time to bond.

wow she is gorgeous! congratulations!! good on you for doing such a good job with her also! wow I think you handled it better then I could have. well done to you! big pats on the back.

can't wait to see more pics of your lovely little Mars! so sweet!

Sorry I haven't been on here. I've been catching up on housework these two days. Sadie had a hard go of it and was horribly bruised. She's feeling a little better. I turned them loose this morning and baby took off running! She LOVES being outside, but it stresses Sadie out so bad. I kept it short and I'll be letting them out again this evening. This time, I'm taking my camera with me!!!! Sadie has really relaxed and turned back into her prepregnant angel self! She let the older boys come on into the stall this afternoon and play with baby. Caleb (3) has too many excitement issues right now!

My hubby made one too many jokes about the name Venus, so it's Chloe.

DSCN63271024x768_zps6c7c815c.jpg
DSCN63261024x768_zps41804d63.jpg
DSCN63151024x768_zps16af1d57.jpg
DSCN63091024x731_zps0465b76b.jpg

Latest posts

Back