Ridges - ITS PINK!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds as though you were lucky the result was negative - but please could you tell me what Hendra is and how is it that the bats are too blame.? I dont think I have ever heard of Hendra before!

It sounds as though you were lucky the result was negative - but please could you tell me what Hendra is and how is it that the bats are too blame.? I dont think I have ever heard of Hendra before!
Me, too! Never heard of it.

In September 1994, a well known horse trainer in Queensland, his stablehand, and most of his horses fell ill to a sudden and mysterious illness. Within days, Mr Rail and 14 horses were dead. They called this virus the Hendra virus as the suburb the out break happened was Hendra. Since then a lot more horses have died from it and also 3 other people, mostly vets and handlers. The closest out break to us was in Ballina, which is about 50mins away.

Its been found that bat colonies here (just ordinary fruit bats) carry the virus altho it doesn't seem to harm them. Any fluids they drop (poop, urine or birthing) can contaminate water in horse troughs or feed bins. Most owners now cover their horses water and feed bins, don't feed directly onto the ground and fence around any fruit or flowering trees. The virus isn't highly contageious, but mostly fatal, and can be passed from horses to people. Any horses they test positive they will put down. They haven't found any other animal that it has affected. Most people here hate these bats, they're a pest to everyone but they've been protected and just keep multiplying. I don't think it'll be long before the horse community in Australia starts making demands to be able to protect their livestock and essentially, they're own lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow thats lucky they tested negative, how are you going with the floods? Are they near your area?

We're about 20mins from Lismore NSW but it hasn't reached major flooding yet and even if it does the worst it will do is cut us off. Are you guys in Qld?

Here are my lovely two from today. Sweety's belly looks different and both girls hoohah's have less wrinkles along the lip bit. Bindi still has soft backside, Sweety's not yet.

DSC_0087.JPGDSC_0090.JPG

DSC_0091.JPGDSC_0092.JPG

DSC_0088.JPGDSC_0095.JPG

DSC_0094.JPGDSC_0096.JPG

Nah im in NSW, Hawkesbury area. Our property backs onto a creek which is flooding but not bad and i live on a hill so i should be right, The bottom paddock is very soggy at the moment though so horses are up top. Glad your okay
default_smile.png

Hi hayley, we are fine we were affected by the floods but no where near as bad as alot of others we live in between gin gin and mount perry in QLD which is about 30 mins away from bundaberg.. I have updated my page for everyone.. Thanks for your concern and messages...xx Great explanation on Hendra virus by the way ...xx... Glad to hear it wasnt that and that your 2 girls are still ok ..
default_smile.png
<3

Good to hear you're all safe and I hope your sister's house stays above water. I watched on the morning show their update on Bundaburg and the caltex still had water flowing past its roof!

So, thought I was in for a bit of action today. Sweety, around mid lunch time, started getting frustrated, tail swishing like mad, tried to kick Bindi when she came close. She went to her shelter and was still swishing, stomping and trying to bite her udder area. This went on for about an hour and then she went back out and started eating grass like nothing had even happened!! sigh....

I've also been reading a bit about edemas, probably not the best idea coz now I've found a lot of sites where edemas aren't a good thing. They were around the front of the tummy not near the udder, but I've attached a picture of Sweeties edema from today so can someone let me know if this size is ok and nothing to worry about? Its getting rather large.

Side view

DSC_0092.JPG

under view

DSC_0093.JPG

HA! This is totally unhorse related but I finally worked out on Photoshop how to get rid of all colours except one. Maybe I should just get lessons instead of self teaching haha

DSC_0091.JPG

Sweety's belly is changing again. It looks like it has dropped and possibly moved forward, what do you Aunties think??? Is this baby getting into position or just moving around? Also, you can see where her rib cage finishes now as there's quite a large sunken dip where her belly starts (can't see it in the photo!). Been pushing her bottom on things. Edema is getting bigger but still no udder. She had a bit of an episode again last night, snorting and uncomfortable. I kept checking her till she was ok, then she settled down eventually.

DSC_0096.JPG

DSC_0104.JPG

DSC_0096.JPG

Wow look how low sweetys belly is hanging, even in the front in picture. In guessing she's going to foal before Bindi going off those photos

Yeah I wouldn't mind an udder as well. A slow progressing one like Izzy's would be nice, then I've got a bit of a heads up to when the action will start!

Just had a thought. I just realised we're already in Feb now and only approx 60 days away from when Sweety would be due from her first cover with Wazza! That would make her 275 days pregnant and explain the lack of udder. So now I'm really really hopeing she can hold off for at least a month or two coz I really want a Wazza baby. For those who came in late, this is Wazza:

Notwo.jpg

Hope she hangs on for you - only another 25 days approx and she will be over the 300 day 'hump'! A baby from her and Wazza is going to be gorgeous - he's such a handsome little chap.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back