Retained Puppy Teeth?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boss Mare

Reaction score
When should I start being concerned about my Dachshund Puppy?

She was born 12/24/2011, spayed just before four months and no sign of losing puppy teeth yet.

Now at going on seven months within the last month or so has been losing her puppy teeth. However three canines (two bottom and one top) adult teeth are almost completely in and puppy teeth have no sign of being lose.

She chews all of the time, is always gnawing on something fortunately mostly her toys. I have an assortment of chews from plush to safe rubber toys, etc. She is beginning to love my coffee table now too. She is fed dry, not canned. I have never met a puppy that is this compelled to chew and am sure it is because of the pressure in her mouth..

Just wondering when I should be making a phone call to set up a potential dental surgery. I definitely don't want to leave them because I know it can lead to an array of other dental issues and diseases.

Thanks!

Veterinary Dentists will tell you that they should have been removed already and have caused some damage to the adult teeth.

I think removal now will yield pretty good results.

Dr Taylor

I made a call to our vet this morning and she said to give it two months. Then if the teeth are still retained to set up an appointment for removal.

However, if they cause her problems before then or I am noticing discomfort I will be requesting removal sooner.

I've seen this before and they should be removed otherwise the permenant teeth will be crowded and damage done to the root bed.

Latest posts

Back