Rescused orphaned mini colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angelvonx

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new-ish to minis and never raised an orphaned mini. Long story but basically rescued 27 feral minis and foals last summer from a bad situation, was able to adopt them all out. So because I became the mini horse rescue person I got a call this year about a mini mare and foal that was attacked by two dogs. I tried my best to save the mare, took her to Cornell but she was too far gone. Her internal and external injuries were too extensive, she was suffering. The vet put her down. The foal didn't have a scratch, the mare protected him with her life literally. This happened on April 22nd. Age of the foal is a guess. 3 different ages from 3 different vets. From a few days to a couple of weeks to a month old. I have been bucket feeding Mares Match milk replacer every 3 hours per vet instructions since. The foal also getting a handful of Mare and Foal pellets as well as some alfalfa hay and ofcouse any pasture grass he eats while turned out.
He last drank his milk at 7pm. He did not want his milk at 10pm. Offered it again at 11pm, He still didn't want it. He seems to be acting normal other then that. But it's hard to tell being that it's sleeping time. At what point should I be concerned? Thanks in advance.

It sounds like you’ve been through a lot! I can only imagine all the emotions you are going through after everything, and you’re still in the midst of it… how are you getting any sleep? Can you upload any photos of the foal? Lots of people will be able to give you great advice and support. I have no experience of what you’re going through but look forward to hearing more about your little orphan’s journey! Take care of yourself!!

I hope your colt drank for you this morning. Not knowing how old he is, or how long ago he lost his dam, or how much hay/grass etc. he's eating, and whether he has free access to water (sometimes foals will fill up on water when they first discover it), makes it hard to say when to start worrying. He may be old enough not to need milk every 3 hours now, but I would be worried if he still isn't drinking his milk today.

Hello everyone, I am new-ish to minis and never raised an orphaned mini. Long story but basically rescued 27 feral minis and foals last summer from a bad situation, was able to adopt them all out. So because I became the mini horse rescue person I got a call this year about a mini mare and foal that was attacked by two dogs. I tried my best to save the mare, took her to Cornell but she was too far gone. Her internal and external injuries were too extensive, she was suffering. The vet put her down. The foal didn't have a scratch, the mare protected him with her life literally. This happened on April 22nd. Age of the foal is a guess. 3 different ages from 3 different vets. From a few days to a couple of weeks to a month old. I have been bucket feeding Mares Match milk replacer every 3 hours per vet instructions since. The foal also getting a handful of Mare and Foal pellets as well as some alfalfa hay and ofcouse any pasture grass he eats while turned out.
He last drank his milk at 7pm. He did not want his milk at 10pm. Offered it again at 11pm, He still didn't want it. He seems to be acting normal other then that. But it's hard to tell being that it's sleeping time. At what point should I be concerned? Thanks in advance.
Hey there, how are you going today with your orphaned mini foal? Is he eating and drinking? Have you named him? Hope you’re both doing well.

Hey there, how are you going today with your orphaned mini foal? Is he eating and drinking? Have you named him? Hope you’re both doing well.
He didn't eat overnight that night, I took his temperature it was 104.3. I called around looking for a vet to come out no one answered. So I drove him an hour away to a Equine clinic in the neighboring state. I am in PA I drove him to NY. They did blood work, x rays and sonagram. They also did a fecal test. He wasn't dehydrated, I still haven't gotten the test results for the fecal back yet. It turned out that his white blood count was low and they said that he got very little colostrum from his mother's milk. He must of been hours old at that time I came to rescue him. The vet said he doesn't have his 6 week old teeth yet. I got him on April 22nd. The vet hospital didn't have overnight staff, so I told him he needed to be fed every 3 hours. They referred me to another Equine hospital that was an hour away from them. I went to go pick him up and got a text message from the second hospital asking for a 3000 dollar deposit because it was estimated that the cost would be 5000 to 6000 dollars. They said he needed a plasma transfusion and he needed to stay there for a week. I texted them back and told them I wasn't coming. I didn't have that kind of money. My credit card is already maxed out from Cornell. I turned around and went home. I offered him milk when I got home and he drank it, I also gave him his pellets and he nibbled on them and the handful of alfalfa hay too. I took his temperature it went down back to normal 100.4 . He did continue to eat during that night every 3 hours. My friend gave me the number to a retired vet. He was very helpful. I went to go met him and showed him the blood test results and he agreed that the foal needed a transfusion. He tried to get the Plasma but it wouldn't arrive until that Tuesday, it was Saturday , the foal couldn't wait that long. The vet made a potion of Interferon. He said that may help him. So I went home crying, trying to figure out what to do next. Thankfully, one of the vets that I had called days before returned my call, I told her what was going on and emailed her the paperwork and she told me to come to her clinic she had frozen Plasma, it will be defrosted by the time I get there. The vet and her staff were amazing. They were waiting for us and treated him right away. they allowed me to watch while they did their magic. They sent me home with antibiotics. The foal handled it all so well and seems to be back to his normal naughty self. His temperature remains normal. He is eating and drinking and pooping normal now too. The treatment was a fraction of what the other vet wanted to charge me. He is stalled in my dining room in a dog kennel mostly just at 20220521_080644.jpg night, so I can keep a watchful eye on him.20220521_180357.jpg

You have worked so hard for this little one! Thanks for sharing your story and these pictures of your precious charge. You must be exhausted!!! Do you have anyone to help you? I admire your determination and selflessness so much. Thank you for working so hard to help this baby survive. Do you think you will keep your lucky little pony? I think Lucky would be a good name!! I hope some of the members who have experience of foals will see this thread and give you some help and support too!

Everything kimbalina and Dragon Hill said, your determination to chase down every possible help is inspiring.

Thank you for sharing your experience and posting photos of your beautiful parient.

Back