Results from Classic Sweepstakes Auction??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did hear Mark announce the Stallion Auction several times in the main barn area, but I think it would help to schedule the auction in the premium book, so everyone knows ahead of time when it is going to be.

The prices that the stallions brought were disappointing, but I would hate to see this program discontinued. At last years Convention, I watched the Modern Sweepstakes Auction, and I know the prices weren't any better. My recommendation is that the Sweepstakes just needs a bit more promotion. Pick a time (I personally liked the evening time slot just prior to the actual Sweepstakes class), advertise it in the premium book so everyone knows when it is, and maybe put a full page ad in The Journal just prior to Congress.

For the actual auction, I think it is important to have a person with lots of energy and clear ennuciation. An energetic auctioneer can really get people to spend their money
default_wink.png
:

I would think that being at a National show your head is ohter places not on this auction... no matter how many times it is announced. Maybe an online auction and/or accepting phone bids would help as well to widen the amount of people that can bid?

Phone bids are already accepted - in fact one of the stallions that pulled out last minute had several parties with phone bids on it. :no: :no:

Yes, the auctioneer can make all the difference in how an auction goes!

Hi: We haven't participated in the Sweepstakes...yet, but the notion of it being for yearlings (only) makes a lot more sense to me than weanlings (only) for many reasons. We'd probably offer a couple of stallions if it was for yearlings simply because the way we are set up early foals and breeding isn't an option for us, not when our foals don't hit the ground until late April, early May and later. the thought of a February, March foal makes me shudder. And we live in California! Ta, Shirlee

While I wish i could have gone to the auction I was unable to be there for it. In the 80's I would purchase my big horse breedings thru stallion service auctions as the resulting foals were then futurity eligible and you had a good chance to win back what you paid in the stud fee. Several California Paint horse clubs offered it, some had low stud fee prices which was an advantage to the buyer, but the Bakersfield Auction was very well promoted and being in Oct (so later for the weanlings) kept growing, last I heard the stallion services were going for more than the advertised prices on the top studs, and a friend came home with $7200 in weanling futurity money (they call it futurity and ASPC calls it sweepstakes but the same principle).

I hate to see this program die because it is a great idea and I think promotion is a big ingredient in creating excitement. I for one hope to participate next year. My two cents worth for whatever it is worth
default_rolleyes.gif
:

It would also be nice to know which stallion owners are offering shipped semen in addition to live cover. I certainly wouldn't want to bid on a stallion from across the country unless I was able to do AI.

We were in the back barn too with Leah & Carin. Didn't know where they went . . . there were no announcements made that I heard in the back.

My suggestions would be similar to some others - set it in the evening when most people (except the ones driving) plan to sit out and watch the driving and Liberty. Perhaps do it BETWEEN driving and Liberty when the drivers are all unhitched and just before the Liberty horses come in.

Also - something in the program book and maybe something handed out when we check in with our packets - a NOTICE IN BIG LETTERS or something posted around the check in tables and on the posts near the warm up arena - bathroom doors, etc.

And how about a table set up somewhere with books/photos/info on the stallions that will be in the auction that year. Even if we aren't going to bid we might like to watch ~ :lol:

Michelle

www.jomikofarms.com

2007 Congress Champions

Snicker Hill O.K.

Heaven's Gate Eastern Star

Wa-Full Bennie's Bear

Back