REALITY CHECK - KATRINA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The news said no pets were allowed to go with rescued owners. I am sure that man was also heartbroken to leave his dog behind. The whole mess is heartbreaking.

I didn't hear the newscast about the 9 minis, one of my riding students told me about it. That is sad, too. I wish folks had heeded the warnings and gotten out with pets and livestock before the hurricane hit. I guess its human nature to think things "aren't going to be that bad." Especially if you've never been through such a disaster before.

I live near the Outer Banks of NC and there are always those who "ride out the storm" becasue they don't want to leave their homes. I don't know what I'd do in a simular case, so I don't dare judge.

I think I need to clarify the situation for those of you who are feeling sorry for him. He got into the boat without any noticeable conversation with the people driving it. He did not say goodbye to the dog, he did not give it a backward GLANCE. He got into the boat and he left it there- you would have to shoot me dead to have got me in that boat- I'd have waited for one that would take my dogs. The other, heartbreaking but humane answer would have been to have shot the dog. If there was no alternative other than starving to death alone in the dark, I would shoot mine myself. I would NOT under ANY circumstances leave them. I am sorry to bang on about this but I have been in a flood situation as a child, when many, many drowned for lack of warnings. I was, obviously, traumatised by it. I had not until this happened realised how badly.

I agree with Kay Kay....no apologies here for wanting to help the animals. Alot of the people down there had the opportunity to get out before it hit, but like one lady on the news said..."It really hit us this time - the weathermen didn't lie this time." Give me a break - she needs a reality check. Weathermen don't lie - they give their best estimate and warn you if bad weather is imminent. They don't lie!! Geez!
wacko.gif

The animals are at our mercy - they don't have a choice in this matter. They're innocent creatures looking for the assistance and care that they always get from their owners.
no.gif

I realize that there are people dieing and I am deeply distraught at the thought of the children going without. However...you have humans that are defying the actual rescue and relief efforts and keeping the help away.

I just don't think you'll see the animals turning away help!

Just another thought..how many animals RESCUED their owners..anybody just saw the guy n TV that was rescued by his GermanShepard??

Our area is taking 4000 humans from New Orleans. I work at a school and our gym will be used as a place for around 150 people. Those 4000 people will be spread out in 4 or five towns in this area.

I think that animals as well as humans should be rescued. My aunt left New Orleans before Katrina hit. She doesn't know if her house is still standing or not, but she did bring her dog with her.

rabbitsfizz said:
I think I need to clarify the situation for those of you who are feeling sorry for him.  He got into the boat without any noticeable conversation with  the people driving it.  He did not say goodbye to the dog, he did not give it a backward GLANCE. He got into the boat and he left it there- you would have to shoot me dead to have got me in that boat- I'd have waited for one that would take my dogs.
460844[/snapback]

Let me clarify how unfair it is to judge people on one minute in time - one edited news clip... you do not know what went before - maybe pleading and begging to no avail... you do not know what came after. It is all very well to sit in our cozy dry rooms and watch the TV and pass judgement on people we do not know when we do not even know the circumstances involved....
no.gif
... how sad is that... he may have had friends and loved ones that were missing or lost... he may have been in shock... you do not know...

And the Mayor of New Orleans DID ask for help... the Governor of Lousiana Also asked for federal help after that - on Monday - before the storm hit - she asked for specific aid - manpower, supplies etc. as they had realized this was more than they would be able to handle. Someone at the federal level dropped the ball - hey - they were all on vacation...

When the FEMA director goes on TV and says the he did not know so many people were in trouble at the Superdome.. well - does the idiot not have a TV?? WE all knew it... where was he??

If troops can be airlifted into Iraq in a matter of hours - then they can be sent to LA & MS in a matter of hours as well.... or so one would think.

Sorry - but this whole mess has made me very, very angry....

Last edited by a moderator:
tagalong said:
. Someone at the federal level dropped the ball - hey - they were all on vacation...

When the FEMA director goes on TV and says the he did not know so many people were in trouble at the Superdome.. well - does the idiot not have a TV?? WE all knew it... where was he??

If troops can be airlifted into Iraq in a matter of hours - then they can be sent to LA & MS in a matter of hours as well.... or so one would think.

460956[/snapback]

I fully agree with you- this isnt about being a republican or democrat or whatever else it is simply about not understanding why we as a country can be in another country in 36-48 hours with tons of supplies and tents and medical personal and yet here in our own country again no matter what policital side you are on.. we cant get it togther

not only is it making me angry but a bit embarssed as well

Do I ever understand how you feel!
sad.gif
Another thing so frustrating is the lack of concern for those who had no choice of getting out!! They were in hospitals, nursing homes, etc. Many didn't even have a vhicle to drive themselves out and I say the government should have had these people evacuated before that storm ever hit instaed of waitning and now evacuating!
unsure.gif
God love em! Mary

tagalong said:
rabbitsfizz said:
I think I need to clarify the situation for those of you who are feeling sorry for him.  He got into the boat without any noticeable conversation with  the people driving it.  He did not say goodbye to the dog, he did not give it a backward GLANCE. He got into the boat and he left it there- you would have to shoot me dead to have got me in that boat- I'd have waited for one that would take my dogs.
460844[/snapback]

Let me clarify how unfair it is to judge people on one minute in time - one edited news clip... you do not know what went before - maybe pleading and begging to no avail... you do not know what came after. It is all very well to sit in our cozy dry rooms and watch the TV and pass judgement on people we do not know when we do not even know the circumstances involved....
no.gif
... how sad is that... he may have had friends and loved ones that were missing or lost... he may have been in shock... you do not know...

And the Mayor of New Orleans DID ask for help... the Governor of Lousiana Also asked for federal help after that - on Monday - before the storm hit - she asked for specific aid - manpower, supplies etc. as they had realized this was more than they would be able to handle. Someone at the federal level dropped the ball - hey - they were all on vacation...

460956[/snapback]

Anyone whose EVER bothered to inform themselves about disaster situations knows it takes time to assemble supplies, aid and manpower and that doesn't include sometimes digging your way into or trying to wait for waters to recede to make entry. The minimum is 72 hours before help may arrive so make sure you have what you need to last at least that long. If you don't and expect someone to take care of you, you'll just have to learn the hard way. What the heck is wrong with people who don't think anyone can be responsible and forward thinking just because they are poor. Just another ridiculous liberal perspective surfacing again.
rolleyes.gif

We used to live in a flood zone and had some pretty bad ones in the 80s our farm and surrounding area was flooded over 5' in most areas when the Cedar breeched the banks and we only were able to survive because our barn and house were on a small hill. We had no power or water for 6 days, no one to rescue us because no one could get in. We knew we lived in a flood plain but it hadn't ever been more than a minor inconvenience since they started keeping records. Hasnt' happenened again but we'd learned our lesson and MOVED!!!!! Additionally, we have made preparations to survive for a while until things can get better should we face another bad time. You can't be prepare for everything but ANYONE can do the basics like food and water.

Maybe all the blaming makes some feel better but I doubt any, especially those doing all the griping, could have done better under the circumstances. Few know goes on in the background especially during such chaos. Just irks me that otherwise intelligent people buy into the media garbage hook line and sinker EVERY TIME and most of what is heard from from the media boobs is BS spun to create controversy. That's what sells--not acts of heroism, good deeds and examples of man loving his fellow man.

NO NO it was NOT the Federal Government that was not on the Ball~!! It was the Governor of LA> who sat on her butt in Baton Rouge~! She did not Call the President SOON enough to get things going right away...She waited until the water had already flooded in before she asked for help Then it is TOO Late because it TAKES time to Call in the National Guard IT Takes Time to Load those trucks with food goods and water...IT Takes time to organize the 1,000 and 1,000s of people to get cars Busses, Trucks,, Army Trucks to get down there after they are called up... Those trucks are NOT sitting in warehouses all loaded and ready to pull out My goodness people... Just think of how this was to get all these people together and get there....Don't go calling Bush at fault because he was at his Range That is just pure silliness~! And or Dumb to think that way... The Local And State Government just waited to long to get things underway... I would hate being that Governor come next Election She will be ousted out on a hot platter
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Or all we all going to say it is Bush's fault that New Orleans flooding and the Hurricane is his fault~!!!!!!! I would not doubt this as this is how some people think
new_shocked.gif

Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis said:
tagalong said:
. Someone at the federal level dropped the ball - hey - they were all on vacation...

460956[/snapback]

I fully agree with you- this isn't about being a republican or democrat or whatever else it is simply about not understanding why we as a country can be in another country in 36-48 hours with tons of supplies and tents and medical personal and yet here in our own country again no matter what political side you are on.. we cant get it together

not only is it making me angry but a bit embarrassed as well

460964[/snapback]

I don't get CNN so I'm only going on what someone else said about this--did anyone else see this clip?

About an hour ago, CNN had live footage of an interview with a man who had just been helicoptered out of New Orleans with his chihuahuas. He said he and his partner were given a choice of taking luggage or the dogs (3 chihuahuas). They chose the dogs.

Not sure how anyone got a chopper ride with the option of taking luggage out??

If you don't and expect someone to take care of you, you'll just have to learn the hard way. What the heck is wrong with people who don't think anyone can be responsible and forward thinking just because they are poor. Just another ridiculous liberal perspective surfacing again.

aktion033.gif
Funnny how if I say the same thing I get my arse jumped on sheeeeshhhh
rolleyes.gif

I dont think its all Bush' fault, but he does carry some blame as does nearly everyone from Mayor on up, INCLUDING THOSE THAT CHOSE TO STAY BEHIND. Not being able to leave and choosing to stay are 2 totally different things. Seems that NO ONE really, really planned or thought this out. Surely someone had to think about that levee breaking? Surely they had to have some back up plan all spelled out?

NO NO it was NOT the Federal Government that was not on the Ball~!!  It was the Governor of LA> who sat on her butt in Baton Rouge~!  She did not Call the President SOON enough to get things going right away...She waited until the water had already flooded in before she asked for help
I'm sorry - but that is wrong. The appeal went out on Monday- BEFORE the storm hit BEFORE the water came in... you can even read the letter on the gov. website if you wish. Following all the right protocols, she stated the State of Emergency had been declared on the Friday before (and it was)... as Katrina crossed Florida... and as the local and state agencies could NOT handle such a major catastrophe (outlined in the letter as to probable damage, fatalities etc.) ... in such a case - the idiot at FEMA was also aware of the impending situation - and it is FEMA's frickin' job to take action and get things mobilized. He did nothing of the sort. Bewteen the appeals from LA and MS - the poorest states in the country... things could have been handled in a much faster way...

I fully agree with you- this isn't about being a republican or democrat or whatever else it is simply about not understanding why we as a country can be in another country in 36-48 hours with tons of supplies and tents and medical personal and yet here in our own country again no matter what political side you are on..  we cant get it togethernot only is it making me angry but a bit embarrassed as well

Exactly right...

Just irks me that otherwise intelligent people buy into the media garbage hook line and sinker EVERY TIME and most of what is heard from from the media boobs is BS spun to create controversy. That's what sells--not acts of heroism, good deeds and examples of man loving his fellow man.
It irks me when people get condescending about such things and sneer at others. I am intelligent, thank you very much. Very little BS or SPIN - if any - has happened as most of this has played out live.... right in front of everyone's eyes - for all to see. No controversy needed to be "created" - it is there. The real deal. Next thing you'll be telling me that those were actors and not victims at the Superdome and elsewhere... and there have been many reports of the good deeds that have occurred in the midst of all the horror and confusion.

When even Fox News finds fault with federal ineptitude... people should take notice...

Yes - people need to take responsibility for their own actions... all the way to the top BTW... but most of us ordinary folk could not have prepared well enough for a catastrophe like this in the hardest hit areas..... when we may have had no way to get out of harm's way...

no.gif

tagalong said:
It irks me when people get condescending about such things and sneer at others. I am intelligent, thank you very much.
461025[/snapback]

Well my my aren't we just so full of ourselves today. I wasn't adressing YOU but if you think the shoe fits then by all means wear it.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited:
Well my my aren't we just so full of ourselves today.  I wasn't adressing YOU but if you think the shoe fits then by all means wear it.
rolleyes.gif
*sigh*

I was speaking in a general sense... as were you - but that in no way excuses the condescending attitude.... sorry.

Whoa, guys or girls.Take a deep breath&back off&cool down.This Forum is a good place to come express ideas, but sometimes things do get hot.IMO people are very frustrated about not being able to help our fellow man.Do what you can to donate cash, etc whatever to human or animal organization.The people of the Gulf states will survive( but not all of them)&they will go build back in the same place where it could all happen to them again.That seems to be the nature of us humans.We want to live near the water even though we know it can be violent and get the best of us at times.We also rebuild after our homes go down to mud slides and tornadoes.I guess it is human nature to go back to where we were comfortable.Makes me wonder how animals react if there is a major earth life threatening change in their familiar habitat?Do they go back when the emminent danger is past?

This thread has been bothering me since yesterday. It has become political and that is not the point...some say the hurricane wasn't the issue, it was the levees that broke after...not the point. The point, to me, is that I would not leave my animals. Several have said it already, my animals depend on me, they have no choice. If I could not save them, I would not let them suffer, I would put them down. The dog on the roof is being displayed in other media....it makes me cry. I don't care what the situation is, the dog should not have been left to suffer. The animals are domesticated or in zoos, they cannot fend for themselves. At this point in time, I can honestly say, I would stay and suffer the consequences with my animals, my family. My husband would go, I would not. I, however, would refuse rescue services if they were offered and my animals would not be safe. My choice, my consequences.

Range said:
This thread has been bothering me since yesterday.  It has become political and that is not the point...some say the hurricane wasn't the issue, it was the levees that broke after...not the point.  The point, to me, is that I would not leave my animals.  Several have said it already, my animals depend on me, they have no choice.  If I could not save them, I would not let them suffer, I would put them down.  The dog on the roof is being displayed in other media....it makes me cry.  I don't care what the situation is, the dog should not have been left to suffer.  The animals are domesticated or in zoos, they cannot fend for themselves.  At this point in time, I can honestly say, I would stay and suffer the consequences with my animals, my family.  My husband would go, I would not.  I, however, would refuse rescue services if they were offered and my animals would not be safe.  My choice, my consequences.
461053[/snapback]

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
Shoot I feel guilty if I feed 15 min late..No way I could leave them..NO WAY!!

Once again, I do not feel that it is political to express one's deeply felt beliefs in a situation like this.

Shirley, you know I love you, but I gotta say...thank goodness you're there to defend our government and its agencies, because they ALL need it -- from top to bottom.

As for individual responsibility...when our tax dollars go to support agencies designated to help with natural disasters that go beyond individual state borders and beyond the control of the individual, people tend to believe they can count upon them for at least SOME timely assistance.

As I mentioned before, FEMA is at its best when it helps the wealthy rebuild in flood plains and hurricane prone oceanfronts.

I don't intend this as political -- I'm just calling it as I see it, as I always have and always will. Do not try to silence those who care.

I live in an area where animals are tools, no more. And it makes me SO proud to not have grown up here ( transplanted Yanke tyvm) when I have people telling me that I have the best behaved and most cared for animals around. I couldnt imagine leaving my critters to fend for themselves anymore than I could leave my mother to do the same. Just will not happen. While I dont live in an area that I would need to evacuate, other than tornado, I do have plans on what I would do for that eventuality. Heck, I have plans for being snowed in and THAT aint never gonna happen LOL Since my mom lives near Houston I have a plan on how to get her out, here and also have clothes etc piled back for her. Hubby thinks I am nuts but having a father that grew up in the depression, things rubbed off.

I hope people arent making this political for the heck of it. I hope if they are placing blame then that blame is warranted. Those of you who know how much I hate Bush would find that a shock for me to say, but if I find fault, its just that, fault and not just placing blame.

Back