REALITY CHECK - KATRINA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand everyone wants to help the animals because like it has been said they could not chose to stay or to go.

But we must remember that many people could not chose to go either.

Many in the iner city could not leave... how are they to leave? Most are poor even before this they lived day to day... They could not pack thier cars( they did not have one) or buy a ticket(they had no money) to leave.

Many could of left but chose to stay with thier pets. noble in some minds I'm sure.

I can for the life of me understand why they did not bus those people out. WHERE WERE they to go??? I ask where was the govement then.. H%%# where are they now!! I have freind who is in the national gaurd he had his bags paced 3 days ago and he is still waiting for them to call. He up here in ND he just got back for a year and 1/2 over seas in the war and he waiting for them to call and say we need you to help. He said if they told him where to go he'd drive there.

I belive that the people need to helped first.... yes it is very sad that animals are suffering. But as we cry over he little doggy on the side of the road or pony with no hay, over 2 feet is a human waiting thier turn to get on the next bus... maybe he or she is sick and for sure hungry, hot and thirty too. They need help too.

I just can not believe that in this nation we have to have a goverment meeting to decided how much we can help..this is life or death people.... BODIES in the streets! They are writing the number of DEAD on the doors.

The dog is on the roof... but there are still people waiting on roofs too.

And we need to write AMHA to get help for horses!! Come on people!

I wrote CNN and asked how can the even think of showing that.... plea for your fellow man not the horses...

GOD is watching.

Well notr everyone had the ability to leave or a place to go but allthat aside what saddens me most personally

I think that if this happened say in Malibu Ca (can use that city cause my mom lives there and we grew up in that area) I just have a horrible gut feeling that the reality would be very much different, response time and rescue perhaps just a bit different

Of course i hope that I am so very wrong on this and am more then willing to be wrong but cant help having a sick feeling there is some truth to it
no.gif

Please know that Alison at AMHA has been up ALL NIGHT trying to help these horses and was workign all week on relief plans before this story aired. I have the utmost admiration for everything amha and alison is doing to get help!!! Please read the other thread and you will see how much Alison/AMHA has done

Remember that the rescue helicopters etc, are taking these people to an area with lots of other people. There may be kids that could get bitten, people who are severely allergic, etc. They have to think about more than just these people with pets. yes the pets do need taken care of but in a public shelter situation its not safe. Just because a dog doesn't bite its owner doesn't mean it won't bite a child who's pulling its tail. My son is 19 months old, my dogs are fine with him, some dogs are not, cats included. The Fema people are having trouble feeding all of the people on a daily basis, trying to feed the pets too if they were allowed at the shelter would be difficult.

Not trying to stir up trouble just looking at it from a different point of view.

Karen

I can for the life of me understand why they did not bus those people out. WHERE WERE they to go??? I ask where was the govement then.. H%%# where are they now!! I have freind who is in the national gaurd he had his bags paced 3 days ago and he is still waiting for them to call.
Yes I think everyone is frustrated as H@LL! What IS going on!!!!! I don't understand why your government hasn't requested the help they need, now is not the time to let political pride get in the way. Canada has offered monetary and manpower help but it has not been accepted yet. WHAT ARE THEY WAITING FOR!!!!!!!!!! Heck I am at work today and when I read the other thread I started to cry and one of my co-workers came to see what was going on with me. WHY can't they let us through to rescue the family and the minis? What logic is it to that, it's not like we are using one of their military vehicles and taking away the use from something else. This absolutely boggles my mind to no end. There is NO LOGIC to how this is being done. First they need to get people out, yesterday, not tomorrow, not 4 days from now, heck it's been 5 days!!!!! Are they not going to help those in other places until all the people from New Orleans are out of there first? and too bad for the others that can be taken out NOW while they keep working on trying to subdue the ones shooting at them in New Orleans????

sad.gif
sad.gif
no.gif
no.gif

Jetiki said:
Remember that the rescue helicopters etc, are taking these people to an area with lots of other people. There may be kids that could get bitten, people who are severely allergic, etc.  They have to think about more than just these people with pets.  yes the pets do need taken care of but in a public shelter situation its not safe.  Just because a dog doesn't bite its owner doesn't mean it won't bite a child who's pulling its tail. My son is 19 months old, my dogs are fine with him, some dogs are not, cats included.  The Fema people are having trouble feeding all of the people on a daily basis, trying to feed the pets too if they were allowed at the shelter would be difficult.

Not trying to stir up trouble just looking at it from a different point of view.

Karen

460097[/snapback]

You're absolutely right Karen, I'm afraid the LIABILITY of saving all the dogs is an issue, it just breaks my heart that's all....not to say I don't understand it, I do, it's just hard to fathom the hurt a child feels when they've already lost everything that they ever knew...then to have their dog taken from their arms because they're getting on a bus...it's that kind of hurt that really affects me where the animals are concerned...it's still about the people and what they're going through, but losing beloved pets is a part of that....*sniffle* GAH!! I have to go get coffee and stop reading stuff....
sad.gif

no.gif
Sadly and unfortunately it has been reported on several of the news broadcasts that the rescue choppers and boats are being prohibited from rescuing any pets - only human lives.
no.gif

Thus, I could not imagine a person with their precious pet (s) staying with them on the roof all night being told they would have to leave the pet behind in order to be personally rescued. How heartwrenching for all involved.

Danielle_E. said:
I can for the life of me understand why they did not bus those people out. WHERE WERE they to go??? I ask where was the govement then.. H%%# where are they now!! I have freind who is in the national gaurd he had his bags paced 3 days ago and he is still waiting for them to call.
Yes I think everyone is frustrated as H@LL! What IS going on!!!!! I don't understand why your government hasn't requested the help they need, now is not the time to let political pride get in the way. Canada has offered monetary and manpower help but it has not been accepted yet. WHAT ARE THEY WAITING FOR!!!!!!!!!! Heck I am at work today and when I read the other thread I started to cry and one of my co-workers came to see what was going on with me. WHY can't they let us through to rescue the family and the minis? What logic is it to that, it's not like we are using one of their military vehicles and taking away the use from something else. This absolutely boggles my mind to no end. There is NO LOGIC to how this is being done. First they need to get people out, yesterday, not tomorrow, not 4 days from now, heck it's been 5 days!!!!! Are they not going to help those in other places until all the people from New Orleans are out of there first? and too bad for the others that can be taken out NOW while they keep working on trying to subdue the ones shooting at them in New Orleans????

sad.gif
sad.gif
no.gif
no.gif

460113[/snapback]

Again, you're not there, the solutions you speak of sound simple enough on paper but you don't know the conditions the rescue teams are trying to work with down there. I agree aid is needed IMMEDIATELY if not sooner, but NOTHING is going to happen all at once to make this all better..NOTHING will do that...so instead of criticizing because you just think it should be clear cut black and white, take into consideration the elements they are working against....I'm sorry if I sound harsh, I don't mean to but there are TOO MANY arm chair quarterbacks out there, b$tching about how it's being handled and most don't have a clue what the people are dealing with on the frontlines. You see CNN yeah, ok, but I assure you there are situations MUCH nastier than CNN can air...trust me on that.

One of my co-workers just said it best - "this is a political genocide". All Mr. Bush has to say is "yes we will accept the help (manpower). Obviously there is not enough manpower at the moment to do what needs to be done. As someone mentioned on CNN with the tsunami, they had food and water being dropped after 2 days!!! It's been 5 darn days!!! There is NO EXCUSE or RHYME or REASON for it to have got to this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
And frankly, I know more animals worth saving than people 
rolleyes.gif
LOL!!! Hehe true.

I do want to throw out that as far as I know the people who stayed did not have a choice, it was the poor people who didnt have a car and couldnt get out of the city. Whats wrong with useing there own two legs I dont know, but the older and disabled people didnt have a choice since they literaly could not leave.

I dont think anyone here is putting the horses above the Bradfards lives, if we can get in to pick up the horses I'm sure The Bradfords and their children will hop on board. I am not here to judge why people didnt leave But to make things a little clearer, I am only 4 hours away from this family, all we got was rain and wind, praise God, Only 4 hours away! I understand about offical rescue agencies and the pecking order but these people are next door to me, its not like we are tyring to get to the middle of new orleans, bybassing dieing people to get to the horses.

We were last night and still are loaded down this morning with human pervision, water..ect...

to help those we might have come across in the mean time. I am on board with Kay.

I had five Uncles(I say had because two of them died in service) , a Father and a Father -n-law that served this country, fighting for our freedoms, I have not been raised to turn my back on a plea, I always say it might be me next time needing help and I dont think this is the time for nitpicking. The horses were important enough for the brafords to stay, helping them will help the Bradfords, thats the bottom line, not what our choice of priorities would have been.

ruffian said:
[SIZE=14pt]While it's totally awesome that everybody wants to help these 9 horses, we need to step back and realize they are HORSES -- there are thousands of PEOPLE who need assistance first!!!  We can contribute to rescue groups, and make offers of help, but sending hundreds of e-mails to CNN, or trying to contact news anchors to bring the plight of horses to the forefront is not what needs to be done right now![/SIZE]
There has been, and will continue to be, loss of HUMAN LIFE, and HUMAN suffering.  Let's not try to bypass the system or interfere at this point for anything other than that.

So send a contribution to legitimate rescue organizations, and be ready to help when it's appropriate, but let's understand the true priorities in this disaster.

Ruffian

460044[/snapback]

Well said, Dana!!!

This is the first post I've opened and read today, but as soon as I saw that piece on CNN last night about the minis, I just knew the forum was going to erupt!! I haven't even read the replies to Dana's comments, and I probably don't even need to, seeing how it's already on the third page.

Good for you, Dana, for speaking up on what's REALLY important! As much as we all love our horses and other pets, they are NOT humans and they are NOT children, and in this unspeakably sad and tragic time, it's the HUMAN lives that MUST come first.

Thus, I could not imagine a person with their precious pet (s) staying with them on the roof all night being told they would have to leave the pet behind in order to be personally rescued. How heartwrenching for all involved
OMG this just brings tears to my eyes.
no.gif
I speak for myself when I say that in a situation like this I would have to stay on the rooftop with my dog/dogs. I know me and I could not just up and leave her behind like that no matter who came to rescue me. This whole thing is just so sad!
sad.gif

Fordney Farms said:
Wanted to add - if you donate to the Red Cross, often your employeer will match the donation, just take in the receipt to your work and hopefully they will.
460068[/snapback]

I work for EMC Corporation, they are matching all employee donations 100%

"this is a political genocide".
This is so tragically true...and as Lisa said, there probably would have been an entirely different response if this had been a wealthy area.

To all who have said "why didn't they leave," I am shocked and saddened -- no, I'm repulsed. HOW DARE ANYONE BELITTLE THE LIVES OF THESE PEOPLE? IT IS NOT THEIR FAULT!! Are we all little Marie Antoinettes, sitting comfortably and saying "Let them eat cake?"

As has been mentioned, most of these people had no way of getting out. You say you saw the news reports of the impending storm...so did FEMA and government bodies who knew there were many without the means to escape.

[i've edited this because it detracts from the point I want to make -- although I absolutely believe in what I said]

The hospitals are filled with the infirm who could not be evacuated, and now are having to deal with worse than third world medical response. In many cases, they can do nothing but let them die.

[Another edit for the same reason]

I'm proud of the efforts being made to help these horses, and I've never believed that people are more important than animals, but my love and concern for the innocent extends to the poor and the misbegotten.

And as you ask, "why didn't these people leave," then we also must ask, why didn't these people get their horses out of harm's way ahead of time? They saw the storm coming, too, and many organizations and individuals offered emergency shelter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone think of yourself in that situation what would you do?????

I would make sure my family was safe first, BUT I would not want to leave my other family behind and that is my Horses and dogs. They are my family and I could not live without them.

I'm sorry but the people new this was coming the animals didn't they had NO CHOICE. They should be saved just as much as humans.

YOU DON'T SEE THE ANIMALS FIGHTING WITH GUNS HELLO!!!!!!!

SAVE THE ANIMALS!!!!!

brookhaven said:
Im with RabbitFizz as well. It's not putting horses above people. The Bradfords and their children are going to watch their remaining minis die a slow painful death unless help arrives and here we have a great group of folks who have been feeling totally helpless and now have an avenue to try to extend help to someone who desparately needs it. I didn't see the man leave his dog on the roof but heard of the little boy and his mother who had to leave their tiny poodle at the Astrodome to God knows what kind of fate. This is all just so heartwrenching if we could see just one animal success story it would be so uplifting.
460061[/snapback]

I agree with Brookhaven 100%!

Nancy

Ya know I just can't keep my mouth shut on this I'm so sick of the dimwitted thought process that turns everything into some political debate. This is a disaster folks and NO ONE could have been prepared for the scope of this one. FEMA and other government orgs are busting their butts why some whiners sit here pointing fingers. For god sakes either help in your own way or
shutup.gif

edited: regretted that after I hit send but sheesh it's frustrating
frusty.gif

Last edited:
I haven't posted at all on most of these threads. I have been trying to do what I can from my safe little corner of the world. The human suffering is beyond belief and just makes me cry each time I see more on the news. But the animals are suffering also. Imagine the disease that is coming to those people when these animals die and begin poisoning the area. I can't help but remember all I learned of the plague and horrific things that have happened in times past.

I have given alot of thought in times past and present about what I would do if faced with a national disaster be it natural or man made. I decided that should death or devistation come to us here I will stay, in my hollow and should I die, I'd die fighting to save my home and my horses and my dogs. I would never just go away and leave them.

I am not condemning any who have or would leave I am just saying what I would do, my life is wrapped up here. Without what I have here, life elsewhere would not be the same. I'd meet my dear Lord here in the hollow, not lost and alone and frightened somewhere where I had no control.

My heart bleeds for all 2 and 4 footed. I continue to pray for one and all, be he/she animal or human. God help us all.

I live 3000 miles away from the destruction and can only see what is presented by the media.....so I don't feel that I can make a judgement on why people didn't leave when they could.

My judgement comes with the lack of help and leadership within each state. Why didn't the mayor of each city and the govenor of each state pounce on the situation immediately?

And now I question why don't they have police protection for the rescuers that are there who are being shot at? And why don't they let the animal rescue workers start coming in? Can't they be working together? Doesn't getting the animals out benefit humans????

I would think allowing people's pets and livestock to die would actually be harmful to human health in the long run!

Frankly, many folks are stranded BECAUSE they couldn't evacuate their animals, so getting the animals rescued also helps their owners!!!!!

Authorities are being very shortsighted on this one and it's causing more tragedy.

MA

Latest posts

Back