Question on youth qualifying for Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Again,

But they sent me out a 2006 Rule Book Supplement.-- please see page27 At the bottom--IT reads " To qualify for the National Show, the youth and the miniature horses entered must have shown together under two judges prior going to the National Show.The youth must qualify by showing that horse in a YOUTH class or classes. In addition the horse must also qualify as normal for AMHR NAtionals (4 judge - 2 show rule).
[SIZE=10pt] Thanks Amy for the new rule-book wording. I have called the office and requested a new rulebook but never did recieve it. Didn't really think I had to worry about it anymore as I mentioned, I talked to a Director in June who said that it didn't have to be a youth class. I'm sure that had many parents known that this was not the case there would have been something submitted to the Board or by July 1 in order to bring this up at Convention.[/SIZE]

I also agree it is up to us to know the rules, especially the changes... but the new rule wording is contradictory to what we discussed at Nationals and what is published on page 206 of the April Journal. Too bad there wasnt' a little sentence added to page 206 to let people know that wasn't the final decision and to check out the details....many have never seen anything else in writing and it is only going to hurt the kids.

Another problem this creates is that there are several youth classes offered at Nationals which are not usually offered at the qualifying shows... such as Youth Fancy Turnout, Youth Obstacle Driving and Youth Versatility... So how do they qualify for these classes?

We had taken 3 grandsons out of school - drove 4000 Km & made sure they each showed in an open performance class each horse-- jumping, liberty,driving & halter obstacle -- we had switched them all around to cover them for Nationasl in case their moms said they could go -- came home to find out it didn't count -- had to start all over again-- handle each horse in a youth class -- which wrecks their showing one horse for youth points.
[SIZE=12pt]This certainly created a hardship on you and I'm sure was an extra expense. Many families do not have the time to find because of work schedules, or the money to go that "extra mile". I have always believed the AMHR was a Registry that was concerned about it's members. I thought rules were made for the purpose of solving problems. I know why this rule was brought up but I can't see where this rule is actually going to solve anything. Unfortunately it seems as if it is only creating more problems which could easily affect our entire memebership and the numbers of youth who are interested in showing. We are supposed to be ENCOURAGING them to be involved with their miniature horses... not discouraging them.[/SIZE]

Just a few of my thoughts on this,

lad

Yes Lad -- I totally agree with you on this.I also know "why" this rule was brought in-- I felt that trainers should be able to say "NO" and mean it when a youth approaches to handle an already trained horse at the Nationals in the Youth classes. That would have taken care of this problem. Instead, like you mentioned now our own family have to qualify with horses owned by us.

At our place each youth has to work the horses they are showing a minimum number of hours per week. They all live more than an hour away from us. That takes some dedication I can tell you.

Oh well, like I say-- got it done-- 2 of the 3 boys are going to Nationals with us, but after all their hard work to qualify-- we will not be there in time for the youth classes., due to other commitments.

By the way -- Congratualtions to Haley!!

The changes regarding youth showing were confusing to me as well and early in the show season I called the AMHR office with questions and asking for clarification on it. At that time I was told the number of new youth memberships being issued and the number of youth showing around the country was way up in numbers so though it takes a little more work to prepare and keeping track of things I think the membership as a whole may benefit in the long run because I believe the average family with a couple of kids and owners of just a few minis for fun and showing make up the majority of the membership and the rules were changed to to level the playing field and make it more fair for youth showing at nationals. I also wonder though, how they will be able to enforce this once everyone is entered and down at nationals. It should be interesting.

The change in the rules didn't affect my kids or the way we have done things this year because they only show the horses at nationals that we own and that they have cared for daily, helped train and have shown all year long (in youth classes) anyway. As far as I can tell the people the most impacted by the changes are the ones the rules were changed because of anyway and unfortunately because of that select group of people there will be innocent families affected unfairly.

Lisa, tell Haley congratulations....wish we'd known at Area 6 so we could have congratulated her in person.

Thanks also for all your help with Lad on Saturday. You and the others that stepped up and helped out were amazing. He (and I) came through it all fine - though with lots of bumps and bruises - and actually have been working together and doing some driving the last couple of days.

Latest posts

Back