Question on youth qualifying for Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ms THE

Reaction score
I know it was said before that a youth had to qualify the horse they were showing at Nationals. In the prizelist it just states that there is no post entries for the youth classes. It does not state that each youth has to qaulify his or her horse themselves. Does anyone know?

Youth qualifying for National Show

To qualify for the National Show, the youth and miniature horses entered must have shown together under two judges prior to the National Show. The youth must qualify by showing that horse in a youth class or classes. In addition, the horse must also qualify as normal for AMHR Nationals.

At Nationals you can't add anymore classes for youth, unlike ammy and open.

Thank you, so my neice has shown my yearling gelding in color class, that wouldn't count (they usually don't have a jr and sr youth gelding class at the local shows and she shows her sr in youth).

your neice would have to show the gelding in a youth class. It could be showmanship, halter, obstacle whatever just a youth class.

This is my first year showing AMHR and I know it's different than AMHA which is what I'm used to. I just wanted to ask, I thought I read somewhere that you have to show under at least 2 judges at more than one location? I don't really know. And one more question, for a youth qualifying, say if you show youth halter only, would that still qualify you for the driving at Nationals?

Sorry for all the questions, I feel like my brain's going blank.
default_wacko.png
:

Good Afternoon,

OK for those of you that have your 2006 April Journal on page 206 in the minutes from the ASPC/AMHR Board meeting where the stuff from the 2005 Convention was approved...

To qualify for the National Show the youth and Miniature Horse entered must have shown together under two judges prior to the National show. Example: Billy Smith showed ZZ under Judge A & B at a show and is eligible for the youth classes at National Show. Billy DID NOT show Suzi under any judges this year and therefore is not eligible for youth classes with Suzi at the National show.

What this new rule is doing is making sure the youth has been showing that horse throughout the show season and not go to the National show, be handed a horse in which they had not handled and go into a youth class with that horse. All horses that the youth will show at the AMHR Nationals MUST HAVE been shown by that youth under two judges. If a youth wants to take lets say three horses to the AMHR Nationals, then all three of those horses must have been shown by that youth under at least two judges.

In order to show at the National Show all horse must have been shown at sanctioned AMHR shows under four (4) approved judges at two or more locations.

In AMHR you don't qualify for each class you want to enter unlike AMHA where you do have to qualify for each class to go to their National Show..

On the show entry form, we have always had to tell what four (4) shows those horses attended in order to qualify to show at the AMHR Nationals. If you have to, put the shows in which those youth horses showed under the two judges, give the dates and name of those shows and write them on a seperate piece of paper and staple it to the entry form. The office will have to verify that those horses did in fact qualify.

Hope this helps.

Karen Shaw

Fiddlestix Miniatures & Shetlands

Burleson Texas

OK, so can it be any class Karen? I knew that was the reasoning behind qualifying youth, but now I'm confused LOL

Good Morning,

It has to be any youth class. Not an open class.

Karen Shaw

Burleson Texas

Karen,

I have a couple of questions. How will a youth qualify stallions for the Youth Jr. stallion class at the National Show or will that be a class that requires no qualification???

Also, I read what you wrote about having to show under 2 judges to qualify for Nationals...... We have the Area 1 show with 1 judge but counts as triple points coming up this weekend, so would that count for youth qualification for Nationals???

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Kristina,

From what I was told this weekend, the Jr. Stallions still have to qualify for nationals by showing in a youth class just as everyone else. So we ended up entering my colt in Youth Obstacle this past weekend to qualify him, as they only have to show in the class and not place (although he did..go figure lol). Then as always your weanlings do not have to qualify.

Hope that helps abit,

Steph

Good Afternoon,

My understanding is no qualification on the Jr. Stallions as the AMHR National show is the only show where they are shown. You won't see that class in a regular sanctioned show since 13 year old and older can show a Senior Stallion (3yr old and Older) in Youth Performance Classes. A youth 13-17 may show a Senior Stallion in Open Halter & Performance and a youth 13-17 may show a Senior Stallion in Youth Driving Classes.

All National Area shows count as three judges. So yes, if you went to a show that had only one (1) judge and you attended a National Area show (it counts as a three (3) judge show), then your horses have shown under the four (4) judge rule.

Karen Shaw

Burleson Texas

Hi,

Just a clarification on the way the rule is written. The youth DO NOT have to qualify the horse in a YOUTH class.... they may qualify the horses they are going to show in any class including open classes which includes the color class.

lad

AMHR National Youth Show Committee member

Lad-- that is how the new rule was presented at Convention-- BUT it is NOT how the board passed it. Please see the new rule additon that was published in 2006-- it now states they MUST qualify in a YOUTH lcass.

We were also at convention & yes, they told us even a color class would qualify NOT TRUE-- the rule came down MUST QUALIFY IN A YOUTH CLASS and as well the horse must also be shown under the regular rules of 4 judges minimum of 2 shows same as always.

We took 3 youth -- drove all the way to Arkansas to a performance only show-- showed all 3 youth in open driving classes-- won some of them -- get home & find thoses horses & youth have to requalify under 2 more judges in youth classes. This is going to create some confusion.

Makes one wonder why we go the trouble & expense of going to convention to have a vote on things -- only to find they are changed after the fact. I feel things should be presented EXACTLY as they are going to be.

Unfortunatly like Amelia (Amy) stated the fact that they can qualify in even an OPEN class did not pass and they do have to qualify to horses in a YOUTH class, but they only have to show under 2 judges to qualify unlike how you normally have to qualify under 4 judges at 2 shows.

[SIZE=12pt]Hi Amy,[/SIZE]

For the record, I was totally against this rule as I could think of a number of problems that it was going to cause.

First of all, I don't believe it's fair to make youth qualify horses that are already owned by them or their family. It also places a hardship on families who are limited on show time and expenses. Some may only have one or two horses and several kids and they can't afford to have each child officially qualify each and every horse they may want to show at Nationals. Second of all, I'm afraid many youth will not be qualified according to how the rule is written. I understand it to mean that it includes all classes, even color... but many understand it as the youth have to qualify each animal in a youth class. If this is correct then some will have down horses who they assume are qualified because they showed it in another class but didn't show it in a youth class . If the rule indeed means that they have to show in a youth class then who is going to make sure all the youth have qualified all the horses they are showing in a youth class?

As for this year's Nationals, I cannot see how they can enforce this because there is absolutely NO MENTION of this need for qualification in the Show Premium. The only mention of the need for qualifying is what has always been...straight up...All horses must have been shown at sanctioned AMHR shows under four approved judges at two or more locations. There is nothing about the Youth having a different qualifying rule.

Lad-- that is how the new rule was presented at Convention-- BUT it is NOT how the board passed it. Please see the new rule additon that was published in 2006-- it now states they MUST qualify in a YOUTH lcass.

[SIZE=12pt]Yes, that is how it was presented at Convention and that is also how it is written and published in the April 2006 Journal, page 206, as Karen posted earlier [/SIZE]

To qualify for the National Show the youth and Miniature Horse entered must have shown together under two judges prior to the National show.

[SIZE=12pt]No where in this sentence does it say that it has to be a YOUTH Class. It says "must have shown together under two judges prior to the National Show."[/SIZE]

The way it reads and the way a Director (who was at that board meeting) explained it to me on June 11th was that it DID NOT have to be a youth class. Color was the example that was brought up... but there's only one color class per show...

If they have to specifically show in a YOUTH class then here's another problem it has created. If a youth only has one horse to show and compete for the youth high point for each show and then has to give that horse up to their brothers or sisters, it takes away from the points they are able to earn since it limits them on their number of classes.

There is NO reference to the class having to be a Youth Class to qualify. While at convention during the reading and discussion of the proposal, it was never declared as having to be specifically a Youth Class. This excerpt reflects such.

Makes one wonder why we go the trouble & expense of going to convention to have a vote on things -- only to find they are changed after the fact. I feel things should be presented EXACTLY as they are going to be.
[SIZE=10pt]I totally agree with you on this !![/SIZE]

I have a youth showing Jazz, the same youth is also showing a few horses of a friend.

We had asked several people about the rule, and we did not get the same answer from any two people. It seemed to me, no one knew FOR SURE. The more we asked, the more different answers we got.

So, we just made sure she had shown each horse in a youth class under 4 different judges at 2 different shows/locations,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and we hope she is covered!!!!!!

But SOON that needs to be cleared up. I realize not everyone can and/or are able do it the way we did.

I called down to the head office & was told if I disagreed with the way this had been presented I could write a letter to the Board of Directors.

But they sent me out a 2006 Rule Book Supplement.-- please see page27 At the bottom--IT reads " To qualify for the National Show, the youth and the miniature horses entered must have shown together under two judges prior going to the National Show.The youth must qualify by showing that horse in a YOUTH class or classes. In addition the horse must also qualify as normal for AMHR NAtionals (4 judge - 2 show rule).

So, it is there -- 2nd sentence is the key one "The youth must qualify by showing that horse in a youth class or classes.In addition, the horse must also qualify under regular rules.

I do believe there will be a lot of confusion & some upset people with this rule. BUT , it is also our own OBLIGATION to KNOW what the rules are.

I agree with Lad -- I do not think they should have to qualify horses owned by their family along with already qualifying the horses regularly.

My 13 year old grandson won the open pleasure driving class & received Champion under 1 judge & Reserve Champion under another in the OPEN PLEASURE DRIVING STAKE CLASS -- against many seasoned drivers -- and then they had to turn around & re-qualify all of the horses going to Nationasl in a youth class.

We had taken 3 grandsons out of school - drove 4000 Km & made sure they each showed in an open performance class each horse-- jumping, liberty,driving & halter obstacle -- we had switched them all around to cover them for Nationasl in case their moms said they could go -- came home to find out it didn't count -- had to start all over again-- handle each horse in a youth class -- which wrecks their showing one horse for youth points.

Oh well -- got it done !! SO check the Rule Supplement

Edited for spelling

Last edited by a moderator:
I became interested in this question so I looked for my April Journal.

Lad I read what it says where you read it. But I also found an insert to that rule on page 238 under 2006 Rulebook Supplement in the Special Section. It does say that youth must qualify in a youth class or classes.

Just another rule AMHR needs to clarify like for example registering the foal, and temp to pernament papers issue, they cleared it up in the 2006 Rulebook Supplement and this is what needs to happen with this new rule.

I agree I don't feel like this rule should be taken into affect till NEXT YEAR. Especially if I am reading right they changed things around after convention. Like Lad says this rule is not even mentioned in the show book premium so IMO shouldn't be a issue at this years Nationals.

i looked at my nationals premium and no where is this rule in there. Huge mistake imo!!! I do know it was in the journal and in the rule supplement but it should still be written clearly on the nationals entry to avoid all this confusion. I just hope people know before they get there as it is a huge exspense to take a horse to nationals

Latest posts

Back