Question on Geldings color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christina_ski

Reaction score
I'm just bored i guess, but i have been looking at this gelding and have been trying to figure out what color he is. I think he is Dun. He has leg barring on one of his front legs (white from pinto covers the rest) and cobwebbing on his head when he is clipped out (you can see it fuzzy too, just better when hes clipped) He has a mixed black/white tail and has spot on his neck (where the mane is) that are black but the mane grows out white, blacks not noticeable. And his forelock is brown/black i can't tell for sure. He has been out all summer so could be sun bleached. He also has spots near his hooves that are black/dark brown. His ears were there is color is also tipped black. Here are some pics that show all that. Plus he has blue eyes and eyeliner, and his whole back is white so no way to look for a dorsal stripe. Thanks for lookin' :aktion033: :aktion033:

27817jack_hoof.JPG.jpg

27817jacks_neck.JPG.jpg

27817jacks_leg.JPG.jpg

27817jacks_forelock.JPG.jpg

27817Jacks_ear.JPG.jpg

27817jacks_back.JPG.jpg

27817jack_muzzle.JPG.jpg

27817jacks_tail.JPG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tobiano because of the spots around the hoofs and body, small spots of color commonly called, Ink Spots, Paw Prints, Cat Tracks, etc., are another peculiarity of the Tobiano pattern.

and the white is coming from the withers to the butt?

Below explains about Tobiano

http://www.equinecolor.com/tobiano.html

I don't see any "barring" in any of the photos. He simply looks Bay Tovero to me. He is obviously Tobiano & probably Splash, as indicated by the blue eyes & the "mustache" marking. He could also carry LWO, which can cause blue eyes as well.

He also has spots near his hooves that are black/dark brown. ....

27817jack_hoof.JPG.jpg

These spots are called ermine and according to the Tobiano site mention above: "Ermine spots are not necessarily a true characteristic of Tobiano as they do occur on horses who do not have this pattern. "

However this guy definitely looks Toby but with a whole lot more going on. The spot under the chin may indicate a type of overo. There must be a cream and or silver gene in there to cause the "dun" color and the white mane with black skin under it. Wow, to also have dark forelock - well, he's a real mix and this could be the beginning of a real neat thread.

Hope more add their thoughts.

you can only see his barring good when he is clipped. When hes fuzzy you can't see it without looking really close so its hard to get in photos. Here are some pics of his whole body, clipped and un-clipped. Also, i don't think hes is LWO because neither parent had it.

27817jack_trot.JPG.jpg

27817KJLiberty1.jpg

27817KJLiberty2.jpg

27817KJLiberty.jpg

Latest posts

Back