Show Prep!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CourtneyH

Reaction score
Hi! This is first year showing minis and I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to getting him all pretty for his classes. Braiding? Trimming manes/forelock/tail? What do you do to make sure your horse stands out in the show pen??

Cooper has already been fully clipped and has the triangle above his tail.

My first year showing too Courtney!

I set some goals for me and Breezy this year and they are:
1. Actually get to the show
2. Not to miss my show classes
3. Look half way presentable: horse and handler 😍
4. Have fun
HIGH EXPECTATIONS! HIGH!! 🤣🤣

What are your goals?

As far as braiding, it depends on the class. Youll have to check the rulebooks to see if braiding is even allowed for your class.

Hi! This is first year showing minis and I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to getting him all pretty for his classes. Braiding? Trimming manes/forelock/tail? What do you do to make sure your horse stands out in the show pen??

Cooper has already been fully clipped and has the triangle above his tail.
Welcome to showing miniature horses! It is so much fun! There are lots of ways to make your horse stand out. What classes are you planning on doing?

Know the rules. I make list of things I know I'll need and don't want to forget like fly spray, buckets for water, extra clothes for me (I always get dirty). Talk to other exhibitors, ask questions when you know they have time, see what others are doing. Most of all Have FUN!!! If you come out of the ring and you had a good time, you are a winner!!! If you are super nervous, go watch a show first, roam around the show. When I was a kid (riding big horses) I never had the privilege of having a trainer, I learned from reading magazines and watching other people (the ones that were winning) to see what they did. Practice at home. Watch Youtube!! I had to re-learn showmanship to help 4H kids and needed to make sure the rules hadn't changed, there is lots of videos out there! Can't wait to hear about everyone showing this year.

Latest posts

Back