What would you call this coloring?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pjmillion

Reaction score
IMG-1879.jpgIMG-1891.jpgWe have a yearling gelding and I am not sure what you would call his coloring -Before trimming the dun stripe was very pronounced. Now it is coming back along with lots of little spots on his back. He is such a sweety pie!

He has grown in some. The spots have appeared as the hair grows.

Attachments

• 3EE6333B-2AD0-4029-984D-2DA7AE3EE5C6.jpeg
    3EE6333B-2AD0-4029-984D-2DA7AE3EE5C6.jpeg
    365 KB · Views: 13
  • 9C6087E2-FDB7-477E-B5AF-CE875D0D8E3A.jpeg
    9C6087E2-FDB7-477E-B5AF-CE875D0D8E3A.jpeg
    309.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 80E20D87-F4EE-4C83-B379-1C0720D25386.jpeg
    80E20D87-F4EE-4C83-B379-1C0720D25386.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 11
I'm going out on a limb here and guessing silver bay dun with a chance of appaloosa coloring in those extra spots. I don't see other appaloosa characteristics (mottled skin on lips or genitalia, striped hooves, eye sclera) so that one's a bigger stretch. Will be interesting to see how he changes.

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing silver bay dun with a chance of appaloosa coloring in those extra spots. I don't see other appaloosa characteristics (mottled skin on lips or genitalia, striped hooves, eye sclera) so that one's a bigger stretch. Will be interesting to see how he changes.
He does have black splotches on his penis😬

Looks like elizabeth.condor might be a better guesser than I. 😆😆

She's a breeder, and does have some appaloosa if I remember correctly. I'd forgotten to mention the splash because of the blue eyes.

Appears that you might have some of just about every color there!

Kimbalina, remember that taffy is what much of the world calls bay/black combined with silver. So, the consensus is that he is silver SOMEthing.😁

https://vgl.ucdavis.edu/test/silver
Above is a link to UC-Davis information about color testing. I posted it because it contains information about the silver gene and it's relationship to MCOA, an eye abnormality. Below is the link to UC-Davis information on MCOA:

https://vgl.ucdavis.edu/test/mcoa
Since your little guy most likely carries silver, you'll want to pay particular attention to his eye health. If you notice any signs of light sensitivity, reactivity that might indicate sight deterioration or any little weepiness, discuss it with your veterinarian as soon as you can. MCOA is best treated earlier rather than later.

I hope I haven't scared you. I have a friend who bred silver horses before the connection between Z/Z and MCOA were discovered. I saw first-hand the eye issues. In your case, forewarned is forearmed.

Latest posts

Back