Question about youth and AMHR sanctionned shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djskid

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wondering if a youth has to be a member/part of AMHR in order to show in the youth classes at an AMHR sanctionned show? Or can anyone show as long as they meet the youth age requirements? Thanks.

Hi there,

They do have to be a Youth member but Youth memberships are free. Just fill out the form on the amhr website and send it in. I imagine with the mail strike you should be able to fax it or scan and email the form.

I had to take a double look and like "mail strike" lol. Didn't know there was one in Canada.

Yep its very simple to become a youth member of AMHR. You don't have to pay to be a youth member you just have to renew your membership every year.

Youth can show without a membership but their points do not count or go toward anything.

You can get a youth membership at the show.

At least this is how it used to be because I had my neighbors teens show a few years ago and they didnt want to get a youth membership. So they just showed and didnt get points

Youth can show without a membership but their points do not count or go toward anything.

You can get a youth membership at the show.

At least this is how it used to be because I had my neighbors teens show a few years ago and they didnt want to get a youth membership. So they just showed and didnt get points
I believe that the office is now asking that all youth get cards, Kay. I know when I send in any show forms they want a copy of the youth and amateur cards. I am sure that youth cards are necessary for Nationals, in fact, a card is necessary for Everyone that shows at Nationals as of last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kay a youth may not show in a youth class unless they are a member. They can however not be a member and show in a open class

At the National show though(not sure about Area shows) everyone must be a member

Last edited by a moderator:
The copies are to track your points with your number but they may have changed it. It used to be you had to pay for a youth card once. Now that its free it maybe different. I did look at the rule book and its vague. If you go to page 38 it just says youth have to have a membership card to do registry work. For example when Kyle was a youth he had horses in his name so had to have a youth membership to transfer, register etc.

We just went through this with a youth this past weekend. The youth (a neighbor) showed my horses in Open classes. She just had to fill out a youth membership form, which was free. I am thinking it would be the same for the youth classes.

Page 38 says that if a youth wishes to be eligible to do registry work, he/she must obtain an annual membership, which I take to mean a regular, paid for "adult" membership? Page 39 specifies that a youth membership does not give the youth eligiblity to register a pony/horse unless an adult member in his/her family has a valid membership. Combine these two together and it turns out that a youth with a youth membership cannot do registry work if an adult family member does not have a valid membership--a youth membership alone is not sufficient.

While I cannot find any specific youth rule that says youth must have a membership in order to show, it is actually in the General Rules:

According to the 2011 amendments - Section III, Part 14 - Approval for ASPC/AMHR Shows, U.

...All Amateur and Youth Class Results sheets must have the exhibitor's first and last name and membership number listed.....

Obviously, under current rules, all amateurs and youth must have a current membership--because if they don't, show management will not allow them to show. If a youth doesn't have a membership, the show cannot meet the requirements of its ASPC/AMHR approval.

Yeah they must have changed it but its too bad its so vague and unclear LOL

I know when the neighbors did it it was no big deal because they could care less about youth points.

Back