Question… Should I geld him?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Runamuk - He is very thick there because he hasn't been worked up until now and he wasn't fully clipped yet either.
smile.gif
. I'm going to clean him up tonight and get a couple more pics of him. He is looking a little bit slimmer now. Still need to work at the belly.
yes.gif

Thank you all for your honest replies.
aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Before his picture came up, I was ready to encourage you to geld him.

Seeing him, and since YOU are not sure you really want to geld him, I would encourage you to wait. He looks really, really nice to me and if he's not causing trouble now, I'd go on and wait until I was sure I wanted to geld him. I know that some of my goals with horses have changed over the years. It would be a shame if you gelded such a handsome horse and then later wished you hadn't. To me, for what my opinion is or is not worth, he does look like stallion material and looks a lot better than many, many of the stallions out there siring foals and showing.

OK, I'm agreeing wit a few others here- if he were a four year old he would be very nice. Since he is a yearling IMO, at least, he will go way too heavy for me. If you leave him entire how much work, as a Stallion, would he get?? The other alternative is to leave him until next year, cover a few mares and then geld- at least that way you would have some of his stock on the ground. I had a colt a few years back that I was umming and aahing about- then i thought- " I'm NEVER going to use a Sorrel Stallion" so I gelded him- he made a GORGEOUS gelding- he just got "drier" and "Drier" as he matured until at four years old he was unbelievable. Never regretted gelding him for a moment as I had twice the Gelding I would have had Stallion. At the end of the day only you can make the decision- but, I'm afraid " There are far worse out there" does not hack it for me.

I would geld. It is easier to keep a gelding and there are plenty of kick butt stallions out there. In a few years if you want a baby buy a bred mare or pay a stud fee for a kick butt guy. This guy will be a real competetive gelding for you. Gelding are just nicer to have than even the nicest tempermented stallion.

You wanted a gelding so geld him.

for me when this question came up for myself and my NIghthawk colt who is very nice...

I asked myself this...

is he in the top 10 percent of horses out there? Would hte miniature horse world be crippled if this horse didnt breed? Would his not breeding make a huge impact on the breed or is the reality that yes my colt is a very nice colt nicer then many stallions but.. are there nicer out there? are there siblings that are nicer (not taking away from the niceness of mine) the answer for me was again YES

so asking it that way became easy for me to feel very comfortable with gelding him as soon as we get back from Nationals.

If you have doubts don't do it until you are ready.

For me- I didn't think twice about gelding Cole.

I had a stallion years ago that was 5 when I had him gelded. It took about a year for him to lose the stallion traits. I don't want to ever wait that long again.

p.s Thanks Lyn for the compliments on Cole.

J&HMinis said:
Thanks to all that have replied so far.
I do have the facilities for a stallion.  No I don't have a nicer stallion, I don't have any other stallions.  I would like to pick up another broodmare in a couple years, and would consider standing to outside mares.  I've dealt with that (the legalities) from having a QH stallion.

Originally I just didn't want to deal with stallion behavior.  You see some at the shows that are big handfuls.  Yesterday when I had him at the show he was just so good it started to make me think.  I know with stallions that sometimes it's their breeding and sometimes it's the way they are brought up.  Also, I know it was his first show, he has another in 2 weeks, he could be a little terror. 

I think I'd like to keep him a stallion and show him as a 2 year old and go from there.  Does that make sense? 
smile.gif
  guess I rambled a little bit....lol

457295[/snapback]

CKC said:
If you have doubts don't do it until you are ready.
For me- I didn't think twice about gelding Cole.

I had a stallion years ago that was 5 when I had him gelded.  It took about a year for him to lose the stallion traits.  I don't want to ever wait that long again. 

p.s Thanks Lyn for the compliments on Cole.

457980[/snapback]

It broke my heart that Cole was turn into a Gelding but you have to do what you have to do. I was trying to pick him up myself but choose a filly the Walshes had instead. But stud or geld he has done well in the ring.

cast said:
J&HMinis said:
Thanks to all that have replied so far.
I do have the facilities for a stallion.  No I don't have a nicer stallion, I don't have any other stallions.  I would like to pick up another broodmare in a couple years, and would consider standing to outside mares.  I've dealt with that (the legalities) from having a QH stallion.

Originally I just didn't want to deal with stallion behavior.  You see some at the shows that are big handfuls.  Yesterday when I had him at the show he was just so good it started to make me think.  I know with stallions that sometimes it's their breeding and sometimes it's the way they are brought up.  Also, I know it was his first show, he has another in 2 weeks, he could be a little terror. 

I think I'd like to keep him a stallion and show him as a 2 year old and go from there.  Does that make sense? 
smile.gif
  guess I rambled a little bit....lol

457295[/snapback]

458301[/snapback]

you also are slow at making up your mind, you ask all these ppl who are strangers but you don't listen to the dad and sometimes I wish you would.

J&HMinis said:
I have plans to geld “Pippin†over the winter.  I’ve had a couple people ask me why?  Well my response is that I really don’t have the need for a Stallion right now.  However he is only one so it’s not like he is in his breeding prime.  I’ll post another picture of him here; there is one below from his results. 
What would you do?  His temperament is outstanding, he’s not nippy or hard to handle.  He can be full of himself but nothing that can’t be handled; basically he’s very easy going.  So I guess I’m asking for a critic?  Is he stallion material or would he be better as a gelding?  Please remember that he isn’t in the best shape here.  I have only started working him for the past 2 weeks.  He needs to loose the belly and his neck needs to come down a little.

Pippin4.jpg

457207[/snapback]

I think you should leave him alone as you have a nice filly to breed to now and I would really think he will be a knock out next year as a two year old. The Dad

ruffian said:
Just remember - Gelding CANNOT be Undone!!
457419[/snapback]

most agreeable about that statement. His sire is the same as the filly you got from the Walshes. I have very high regards for the Walshes breeding program.

[SIZE=11pt]I would keep him a stud
yes.gif
. I agree with everyone he has awesome comformation
biggrin.gif
. You can't find many like that you own and after "they" are gone they don't grow back
no.gif
. If I had one that was this nice I would definetely want to get protogy
aktion033.gif
. Allison
[/SIZE]

fantacsix said:
[SIZE=11pt]I would keep him a stud 
yes.gif
. I agree with everyone he has awesome comformation 
biggrin.gif
. You can't find many like that you own and after "they" are gone they don't grow back 
no.gif
. If I had one that was this nice I would definetely want to get protogy 
aktion033.gif
. Allison
[/SIZE]

458401[/snapback]

I also agree to that..
aktion033.gif

I like your stallion! Great color and really nice conformation and you can't beat a good disposition either! Remember, you can ALWAYS cut them off, but once they are gone you can't sew them back on!
new_shocked.gif
biggrin.gif

Cast- Cole is mighty happy hanging out with his friends and not worrying about the ladies. I am a HUGE promoter of geldings. I would love to see more geldings being owned and even shown.

Like I said earlier- I didn't think twice about gelding him. That was my plan all along. I was looking for a horse like Cole that could eventually do performance. His color and markings are the icing on the cake.

1/2 our herd are geldings and I love that!

There is nothing criminal about gelding a nice horse- gelding doesnt equal inferior.. i think that is one thing we can learn from our larger counterparts

I agree to gelding. He is very nice and would make an even nicer gelding. We have no shortage of nice stallions out there. I am wondering why you were thinking of gelding him in the first place and what is changing your mind?

RebelsHope said:
I agree to gelding. He is very nice and would make an even nicer gelding. We have no shortage of nice stallions out there.  I am wondering why you were thinking of gelding him in the first place and what is changing your mind?
458766[/snapback]

This is a good question.

My opinion, is, if you are wondering about it, then wait. You can certainly "try" him on a mare or two, and see if you like what he produces. You have plenty of time to decide whether he should be a gelding or not.

Also, it's very easy for other people to tell you to geld, but ultimately he is YOUR horse, and it is your decision. As nice as he looks, it wouldn't be a "crime" to leave him a stallion, IMO. And you could always geld him later.

Latest posts

Back