Stallions and geldings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocklone Miniature Horses

past member -I gotta get a life...
Reaction score
As you all know, i keep my stallion and gelding together. They have always got on great, they play fight and frolic and mess about generally.

Been noticing lately though, that it is getting more and more frequent. I will admit i have not done much with them all lately, so they maybe need a bit more exercise, but im wondering if this is just stallion becoming a bit more frisky in the better weather? He is not being aggressive AT all, in fact he makes barely any contact, just pushing up against my gelding bum and rubbing his head on his sides, and being a bit of a pest. Gelding reacts by bucking at him, and he does kick out (then turns and chases him and mouths his head as he is trying to eat lol...they're as bad as eachother! both pests)

Obviously i don't want anyone getting hurt, and its only now and then not all day every day. They still groom and graze and do whatever horses do but are they just boys being boys and keeping eachother entertained or is it time to separate? Noone has ever had any injury so far, its just rough play.

The thought of separating them its awful to me, cause i hate the thought of a horse being alone so i wanted them together until the mare(s) go in for breeding.

14DD1BF1-AAC5-4EF7-AED5-7CB16366195D_zpslzg03iaq.jpg

Selfie today, hah.

My Stallion and gelding played much the same way up and till recently when i sold the gelding on. There was never an issue during the 7 years they spent together, they were actually best of mates. They were purchased from the same stud and at the same time. There was no nastiness between the two of them ever. I was however extra careful when the girls were in season, not that this was ever a problem for me.

If they are playing nicely and get along well then id leave them be , Just keep an eye on them if they are around mares in season , their attitudes towards each other may change
default_smile.png

I got my stallion in august and it was not that long until i had him with the gelding. The gelding would chase him away from the mares (at the fence, they were never together) in much the same manner he plays, stallion always let him. Hes very good with mares, and they seem a perfect fit as in he doesn't get possessive, and gelding will keep him away lol

I think they just need more exercise now though. I've been spending so much time with my ridden horse i have not done much with the minis, but now ive not got him i can do more.

Latest posts

Back